This time as a poll: which mid-fi king do I keep?

Which headphones do I keep?

• Total voters
Oct 14, 2020 at 3:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

DCofficehack

100+ Head-Fier
I need to thin out my collection. I now own the DT880/600 ohm, the HD600, and HD650. Honestly, they're all great. Anyone considering any of these three should take note that the differences are subtle, with none clearly dominating the others. Choosing among the three is not easy, especially as prices have come down.

FYI I run them off an Asgard 3 with a 4490 DAC card. And I mostly listen to classical music--tons of Bach + Beethoven, Brahms, Handel.

By the way, for the next week I'll be A-Bing them...or should I say, A-B-Cing them? I'll post my thoughts as I go. It's all about trying to pin down the differences. So far it's clear that the DT880 has more treble and treble clarity. The HD650 has what I can only describe as more "body."

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2020 at 3:49 PM Post #4 of 36
The 650 has more detail than the 600 and I prefer it for classical. The bass is lacking in the Sennheiser lines compared to something like the HE-400i or Fidelio X2HR which I also enjoy as mid-fi champions.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2020 at 3:55 PM Post #5 of 36
I'm not a fan of these 3 headphones, but the one that I dislike the least is the HD 650.

Oct 14, 2020 at 4:17 PM Post #6 of 36
Listening now to a Bach cantata on Tidal. It was nice on the 650, but switching to the DT880, the sound became a lot more clear. It was almost as if...a veil were removed.

Oct 15, 2020 at 7:06 AM Post #8 of 36
This morning I've been listening to all three cans with the same music on repeat. What music? Bach's BWV 147, "Herz und Mund und Tat und Leben," which by the way features some of the most beautiful music ever written. I say that with no exaggeration. I'm listening on Tidal to the recording made by the Bach Stiftung. Glorious.

Anyway, for this particular music, the DT 880 is the clear winner because of its greater sound stage and, above all, sparkling clarity. The HD600 comes in next. As for the HD650, it sounds almost muffled in comparison. The sound is thicker, which is not at all a bad thing, especially because that does not translate into muddiness. These are not Beats! But it's one of the things that makes it different from the other two cans.

I think next I'll switch genres.

Oct 15, 2020 at 7:41 AM Post #9 of 36
By the way, for kicks I put on the same music, only this time with the EL-8s. They're really good. A touch less crystaline than the DT-880s but perhaps a better all-arounder? A bit more body, but not much. Really nice.

Oct 15, 2020 at 7:47 AM Post #10 of 36
Sell the 880 and 650, the 600 is king. With the money you make from the 880 and 650, buy a pair of DT1770s then you'll have it all given the price range :)

Oct 15, 2020 at 8:00 AM Post #12 of 36
Not the 1990s? The 1990 seems like the obvious choice. Or the Focal Elex.
Well no, once you have the 600s you have a great pair of open cans that are difficult to beat in some ways for any price. So then you get a closed set to complement them.

BTW if your 880s sound more clear or better than the 600s then I have 5 bucks that says you're not running them out of an appropriate amp.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2020 at 8:24 AM Post #13 of 36
Well no, once you have the 600s you have a great pair of open cans that are difficult to beat in some ways for any price. So then you get a closed set to complement them.

BTW if your 880s sound more clear or better than the 600s then I have 5 bucks that says you're not running them out of an appropriate amp.

I listen to open cans 90% of the time and think my closed Audeze EL-8s are fine for the other 10%, though I'm sure auditioning 1770s might change my mind.

My Asgard 3 doesn't cut it for HD600?

Oct 15, 2020 at 9:44 AM Post #14 of 36
Next up: Saint-Saens' organ symphony. Bigger sound than Bach cantatas, and with much more going on at the low end, including that glorious pipe organ. Started this time with the EL-8s because they were already plugged in. All good. My prediction is there when I get to the Senns the HD650s will come into their own bc of the relatively better bass, and that added "body" to the sound is a better fit for booming symphonic pieces than Bach cantatas.

Oct 15, 2020 at 10:13 AM Post #15 of 36
I listen to open cans 90% of the time and think my closed Audeze EL-8s are fine for the other 10%, though I'm sure auditioning 1770s might change my mind.

My Asgard 3 doesn't cut it for HD600?

I prefer open cans as well but the crisis has got me around people more often so a set of closed cans was welcome.

I really don't know about the Aasgard, I didn't hear it. I can't keep track of the schiit offerings lately but if it's one of the entry level ones there's a lot of room for improvement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back