Three Artists You May Not Know
Sep 11, 2011 at 6:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

NA Blur

Headphoneus Supremus
Ali Farka Toure

I am not sure how many of you out there have heard of Ali Farka Toure, but his stuff sounds amazing both with home stereo gear and on headphones.  If you do some research at least one of his albums was recorded using a portable studio in Africa that was no larger than a small van.

Suggested Listening:
Ali Farka Toure - [Savane CD1 #08] Ledi Coumbe
Ali Farka Toure - [Savane CD1 #05] Soya

Yoshida Brothers

The Yoshida Brothers are actual brothers that play music found in Northern Japan.  The clarity and timbre of the instruments they use are a ton of fun to listen to.

Suggested Listening:
Yoshida Brothers - [III CD1 #09] Oh My Love
Yoshida Brothers - [Prism CD1 #07] Akita Obako

Squirrel Nut Zippers

Performing what I call modernized vaudeville jazz the Squirrel Nut Zippers are a band to not miss if they play a venue near you.  I first saw them in Seattle.  I had not listened to them before and once I heard them perform I really fell in love with their music and ability to politely entertain.

Suggested Listening:
Squirrel Nut Zippers - [Hot CD1 #11] Blue Angel
Squirrel Nut Zippers - [Hot CD1 #07] Hell

I hope you enjoy the above performers as much I do.

Sep 12, 2011 at 8:16 PM Post #3 of 4
First time i hear about them. I'll check em out. 

Sep 12, 2011 at 9:56 PM Post #4 of 4
Ha - I'm a longtime fan of two of those. :)

Ali Farka Toure is wonderful. He played a blend of delta blues and traditional Malinese music. Exotic yet strangely familiar. I especially love his work with Ry Cooder. Even better, Toure kicked off my interest in world music. I got to wondering if this guy is so good, what else am I missing? Turned out to be a whole lot. Check out the Afropop Worldwide radio show (you can stream it) and go from there. Though not quite like Toure (though no one could be), King Sunny Ade and Ladysmith Black Mambazo should appeal.

I've loved the Squirrel Nut Zippers since "Hell" became an alternative hit in the mid-'90s. Thanks to them, there was a brief revival of jump-band jazz and rockabilly. For another band in the same vein but a little mellower, try Pink Martini. I caught them live at a New Year's party in Portland. They were incredible and terrific with the audience. Also check out Bix Beiderbecke. The SNZ owes a lot to him and you'll love everything he did.

Now, I haven't heard of the Yoshida Brothers. But since you obviously have good taste in music, I will put them on my short list. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back