Thunderpants! A world-class closed planar magnetic headphone by Head-Fi'er "Smeggy" - Head-Fi TV, Episode 012
Sep 28, 2011 at 11:00 AM Post #92 of 127
Been out of the loop a while with other more pressing things, but glad to see Smeggy getting his deserved accolades! A proud member of the initial owners group.  And Steve, I'm still wearing the T-shirt and getting funny looks which still cracks me up!

I was glad to see my pair made the pics in the video. 
biggrin.gif

Sep 28, 2011 at 11:41 AM Post #93 of 127
Sep 28, 2011 at 11:51 AM Post #94 of 127
Berry interesting. That big notch in the mids is worrying to me though. Do they have the "smile" curve sound? Tyll hasn't measured a Lawton Denon, but the stock Denon 5000 with Jmoney pads measures flat as a board, though its square waves and isolation definitely aren't as good.

I'm also interested in this. That big dip in the measurements worries me. I know that many people say to judge by your ears and not the graphs, but as someone that is very technical (Computer Science major, will be working in IT industry, heavily interested in varous sciences), the graphs are definitely important for me. After listening to several pairs of headphones, I've been able to directly correlate my sound preferences with what I read in graphs. In short, I tend to prefer headphones that measure as mostly flat and neutral, so this dip is worrisome to me.

Sep 28, 2011 at 2:28 PM Post #95 of 127
The simple fact of the matter is that I make them to sound how I like them to sound, I have no test gear and no way to measure anything, I do it by ear. It was never my intention to try to get a ruler flat response, just something I like the sound of. I'm not an audio engineer, scientist or anything else. I'm an audio enthusiast who enjoys making headphones that I like listening to. I never intended this to become a business but I had few choices once I got laid off from my game developer job. I didn't want to go back into that after 12 long years so I made the choice of doing this as it's what I enjoy doing most.

I have no manufacturing facilities, just my small workshop in the garage (yes, it's an actual garage business :) ) where it's all done by hand, so if people are looking for tight manufacturing tolerances, total predictability and uniform production, that's not me. Each set is a new experiment, each week brings new things to try out and each set is it's own individual project. Not all sets will be made the same and not all will measure the same for those reasons.

So when considering these, you'll have to bear all that in mind.

Hope that helps define things :)

Sep 28, 2011 at 9:18 PM Post #97 of 127
Agree completely. I prefer them to phones costing considerably more than $700.

Quote:

Or if he's smart, he'll raise the price to $695, to control demand.  That's what they're worth IMHO.

Sep 30, 2011 at 1:15 AM Post #99 of 127
Sep 30, 2011 at 6:19 PM Post #100 of 127
Has Fostex ever said anything publicly about these? I'd be interested in hearing what they think.

The Thunderpants are beautiful. I've been trying to settle on a great closed pair of headphones at work for a while. The Denon D7000s sound great but don't isolate, the Shure SRH-940s sound great except the treble is slightly too strong and bass slightly too light.

These might be the trick. And I love that they're made by one enthusiast in his garage, transforming by ear an inexpensive headphone into top-tier gear. A very impressive accomplishment!

Sep 30, 2011 at 8:55 PM Post #101 of 127

Has Fostex ever said anything publicly about these? I'd be interested in hearing what they think.

The Thunderpants are beautiful. I've been trying to settle on a great closed pair of headphones at work for a while. The Denon D7000s sound great but don't isolate, the Shure SRH-940s sound great except the treble is slightly too strong and bass slightly too light.

These might be the trick. And I love that they're made by one enthusiast in his garage, transforming by ear an inexpensive headphone into top-tier gear. A very impressive accomplishment!

At the Head-Fi meet where I heard the Thunderpants I also had the chance to audition the Denon D7000. I liked them quite a bit - in fact they were one of my favorite cans at the meet (don't think there were many others who agreed - but I like closed cans and the Denon had a good balance). However, the Thunderpants were the ones that blew me away so I had to buy a pair.
Just my opinion and preferences and YMMV.

Oct 1, 2011 at 8:14 AM Post #103 of 127
In the "for what it's worth" category, Fostex will be exhibiting at CanJam. I think this will be the first time I've ever seen them at a headphone event. I think they're curious and wondering what all the fuss is about.  They'll get an ear full from me.

Oct 1, 2011 at 8:49 AM Post #104 of 127
Fostex will be exhibiting at CanJam. I think this will be the first time I've ever seen them at a headphone event.

I wonder if they know what they have on their hands. Fostex certainly knows headphones but to place such a gem into badly matched cans...

Oct 1, 2011 at 10:51 PM Post #105 of 127
In the "for what it's worth" category, Fostex will be exhibiting at CanJam. I think this will be the first time I've ever seen them at a headphone event. I think they're curious and wondering what all the fuss is about.  They'll get an ear full from me.

Any idea whether there will be a pair of Thunderpants at CanJam? Someone should take them over to the Fostex table and say "Hey, check these out."

Also, I'd like to hear them myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back