Tidal... kind of loud
Jan 27, 2021 at 5:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

chaosMonkey

New Head-Fier
Hive mind, can you help me wrap my head around this?

Tidal is way too loud. Seems like a recent change, but maybe that's in my head. Current setup:

MacBook Pro
Tidal client (exclusive mode)
USB out
Schiit Modi 3+
Schiit Vali 2+ (low gain)
Grado Hemp

If I keep Tidal in exclusive mode, I can't move the pot on the more than 1/6th of a turn. It's sitting right above a threshold where I don't seem to get stereo.

If I turn off the exclusive mode on Tidal, I can lower the output level and get a more natural range on the Vali 2+ volume control.

All in my head? Expected behavior?

Jan 30, 2021 at 12:15 PM Post #2 of 7
Headphones likely too sensitive for the amp. You have to use exclusive mode if you want a prefect output to your dac, otherwise your computer is resampling.

Feb 3, 2021 at 11:24 AM Post #4 of 7
I didn't find a loudness normalization option in the MacOS Tidal client. Very likely that the Grados are just efficient. Might be my ears. Despite the ever present temptation to "crank it", I am trying pretty hard to preserve my hearing. Looking for clarity, depth, soundstage at low volumes, especially when I have cans on.

Feb 3, 2021 at 11:39 AM Post #5 of 7
It sounds like Grado is too sensitive to allow exclusive mode and playback through your amp. A simple fix is to use a non-exclusive mode and reduce digital output volume from Tidal app at the slight cost of sound quality. FYI, I love Grado headphones, but Grado headphones are not what I would use to get clarity, depth, soundstage at low volumes even with more refined models like HEMP.

Feb 3, 2021 at 4:45 PM Post #6 of 7
It sounds like Grado is too sensitive to allow exclusive mode and playback through your amp. A simple fix is to use a non-exclusive mode and reduce digital output volume from Tidal app at the slight cost of sound quality. FYI, I love Grado headphones, but Grado headphones are not what I would use to get clarity, depth, soundstage at low volumes even with more refined models like HEMP.

Helpful, go_vtec, thanks. Your nom de plume made me seriously nostalgic for my 5th-gen Prelude. That was a hell of a car.

Feb 3, 2021 at 5:13 PM Post #7 of 7
Helpful, go_vtec, thanks. Your nom de plume made me seriously nostalgic for my 5th-gen Prelude. That was a hell of a car.
Yeah, I still have the last generation Prelude from late 90's. Anyways, I doubt that you will hear any significant sound quality issue if you were to keep the Tidal volume at 40-50% range with HEMP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back