Time for a new DAP, unsure what to buy, Cowon, Sony, Colorfly
Sep 2, 2012 at 2:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

heliuscc

100+ Head-Fier
OK, I'm looking for some advice. I have a Sony X1060 and a pair of Westone UM3X, but am thinking of changing to a new DAP.
In an ideal world it would have touchscreen, gapless playback, lossless (FLAC etc) and 32GB plus storage.
It's not an ideal world though...
So have looked at:
1. Cowon range. Bit confused as to which one.
2. Sony range. Do they now play gapless, FLAC etc? If I was to buy the Z1060 (where to buy in UK?) I could use winamp to play flac?
3. Colorfly C3. No touchscreen, expandable via microSD. Does lossless, don't know about gapless. Very cheap,

Input from the experts would be good.
Thanks

Sep 2, 2012 at 1:34 PM Post #2 of 8
2)Far as I know  sony have never done gapless, unless you include atrac.  Check advancedmp3players, they usually have sony stuff in.

One other option is an ipod touch 32 gig and use one of the flac apps around.

Sep 2, 2012 at 3:19 PM Post #3 of 8
I am aware that there will have to be some compromise as nobody appears to make the perfect DAP. The new F806 from sony looks interesting and does FLAC, which is a first for sony IIRC. I'm not buying another apple product though. I like the sound of the X series, and it's way better than my kids ipod touch. I just want a good music player, something that takes the X series on a step I suppose. Heard good stuff about cowon, the colorfly looks basic but is less than £100 and can be expanded to 40GB or so. I have high hopes for the SQ on that as well. F series sony and Z series are both meant to have good sound quality but both seem impossible to get hold of the UK at the moment. The X will last until the right thing comes along.

Sep 2, 2012 at 9:26 PM Post #4 of 8
The Samsung, Philips Andriod based DAPs like galaxy 3.6, 4.2, 5 and Go gears plays FLAC and if you download APPs like Neutron which convert n plays 32Bit and they sound amazing for the price. Also Cowon X7, X9 are very good sounding DAPs with longer battery life.

Sep 2, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #5 of 8
Add a hisound studio v to your list. Its an be-all end-all dap for me. If you're not into playing videos and just into pure audio, then the studio v fits your bill. it;ll sound good specially with those multi armature setups like yours. Take my advice with a grain of rice of course. YMMV
cool.gif

Sep 17, 2012 at 1:52 PM Post #6 of 8
Can you tell me how long it takes to start up and what size micro sd card it'll take?

Sep 17, 2012 at 3:37 PM Post #7 of 8
The Cowon Z2 comes in 16/32gb flavors.  While the stock music player doesn't support gapless, you can install Play Store and download apps like Neutron, Rockbox, Poweramp, all of which support gapless.

Sep 17, 2012 at 4:16 PM Post #8 of 8
Thanks mate. Z2 sounds like a good option. Gapless is something I like. Does the hisound do gapless? Is the UI any good? Can you put a 64GB card in a hisound and does it start up quickly??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back