Time to make a choice
Jul 15, 2018 at 8:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Headphoneus Supremus
So I'm getting my first CIEM. Yesterday I auditioned universal fit versions of these three, in the following order:

1. 64 Ears N8
2. UE 18+ Pro
3. JH Audio Lola

Overall I preferred the slightly more neutral signature of the UE 18+ pro and went for those, which would you choose and why?

Before you say it, I can't afford all three so that is not an option :)

Jul 15, 2018 at 9:16 AM Post #2 of 4
Hahahaha, I'm being poor over there>>>>>>>

I'll pick the UEs, just because I know of Ultimate Ears going back to '99-'00 when I was heavily into standard audio. iPods and DAPs really weren't that common. They were the Gold Standard over Shure and Etymotics, IIRC.

If you listen to a particular type of music (which I don't), then get the one that plays to those strengths, would be my advice. If you're varied like me, then try and sum out the pros and cons before you buy.

Good luck and can you loan me a dollar?

My big dilemma is whether to step up to that $50 range, or keep it under $40, lol.

First World Problems.

Chris

ETA:

While I'm new here, I've looked at the 'ranking the best' thread and it appears that more people have the UE 18+ at number 1, if that means anything to you? Empire Ears seems to be ranked consistently high, as well.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2018 at 1:14 PM Post #4 of 4
Thanks for the replies, I think I made the right choice with the UE 18+, I'm not sure if the demo I tried was the latest version though.

The 64 Audio N8 Bass was for me a bit too overpowering for me, it had only had about 20 minutes use though so it may reduce a bit with burn in, but I didn't want to risk it.

The JH Lola sounded to me very nice, so I would have gone for that, however I used some EQ on the UE 18+ to make it a closer match to the others and every EQ change I made had a noticeable change in the sound which is something I'd never noticed before when using EQ on other IEM's and Headphones I have tried, sounds like an odd reason to choose an IEM but I liked what I heard.

I just hope I made the right choice. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back