Tin HiFi Impressions Thread
Jan 26, 2021 at 9:30 PM Post #392 of 673
it's a moisture issue,
just replace the filter, it's cheap,

or use a silica gel to remove the moisture,
So I did this, I replaced the filter with one from Moondrop. As advised, I used the KXXS size.
The sound became noticeably warmer and relaxed, with tamer upper mids and deeper bass. Tonality is closer to the Starfield now (still not the same as Starfield, that would be mental).
I can't say it's "better" but it changed in a way that would be pleasant to some people. I really enjoy it.

Unfortunately it didn't solve the imbalance problem. While I had the filter open I took a peek inside and apparently there's a ball of fabric (?) inside; my suspicion is that the ball is thinner on the side that's louder.
Just in case it's a moisture thing, I'm going to put my T2+ next to my air purifier vent when I'm not using it. Fingers crossed!

Thanks for the advice again.

Jan 27, 2021 at 7:05 AM Post #395 of 673
Are the T4 considered low or high sensitivity?

At the advertised sensitivity of: 102±3dB @1kHz 0.126V, I would consider that on the borderline lowish side.

Jan 28, 2021 at 3:23 PM Post #396 of 673
After having listened to both I have to admit, that the T4 is the better sounding IEM for me.
But to get the best sound from the T4 I have to use the small tips and insert it as far as possible into the ear canal. And I can indeed put it deeper into the ear than the T2+. Therefore my biggest complaints about the T4 are still the bad ergonomics because of the 90° angle between nozzle and MMCX connector. Seal is perfect for me with the small tips.

EDIT: Forgot to mention: The T4s often slowly slip out of the ears, therefore I have to to push them in again every few minutes (not perfect).

Just testing a bit more: My impression stays the same: the T4 is better for me than the T2+ when it comes to sound. The T2+ is more comfortable on the long run. The T2+ overall is a bit more on the bassy side, but when the T4 has the deep ear canal fit it even can deliver more sub-bass rumble.
And for the fit of the two in my ears: Probably my ears are weird, but the T4 really can go into the ear canal, while the T2+ cannot. The T2 feels a bit like the Etymotics to me, still not as deep and more comfortable. Currently I'm using Azla Xelastec ear tips which slip slower out of the ear than the usual silicon tips. Still it's not perfect.
On the T4 I'm using the Xelastecs in size S (fits in the ear canal), on the T2+ the S size just results in a not perfect seal. Size MS works better here.

Jan 29, 2021 at 12:25 AM Post #397 of 673
Just testing a bit more: My impression stays the same: the T4 is better for me than the T2+ when it comes to sound. The T2+ is more comfortable on the long run. The T2+ overall is a bit more on the bassy side, but when the T4 has the deep ear canal fit it even can deliver more sub-bass rumble.
And for the fit of the two in my ears: Probably my ears are weird, but the T4 really can go into the ear canal, while the T2+ cannot. The T2 feels a bit like the Etymotics to me, still not as deep and more comfortable. Currently I'm using Azla Xelastec ear tips which slip slower out of the ear than the usual silicon tips. Still it's not perfect.
On the T4 I'm using the Xelastecs in size S (fits in the ear canal), on the T2+ the S size just results in a not perfect seal. Size MS works better here.
I concur. I do prefer the T4, but considering price, it’s hard not to recommend the T2+ more. With my ear anatomy, the T2+ doesn’t fit great , but it works.

Feb 5, 2021 at 10:15 AM Post #398 of 673
Late to the party, but I've got a pair of T2+ on the way from Amazon. This comes after trying the BL-03 as I've been searching for a affordable single DD to add to my collection. Enjoying my FH3 as a hybrid. The BL-03 was good but I ultimately couldn't stand the mid-bass bloat and sub-par vocals. Excited to try the T2+!

Feb 5, 2021 at 1:38 PM Post #399 of 673
Late to the party, but I've got a pair of T2+ on the way from Amazon. This comes after trying the BL-03 as I've been searching for a affordable single DD to add to my collection. Enjoying my FH3 as a hybrid. The BL-03 was good but I ultimately couldn't stand the mid-bass bloat and sub-par vocals. Excited to try the T2+!
IMO the T2+ is much better than the BL-03, much better balance and cleaner mids with good detail. You'll like it!

Feb 5, 2021 at 1:46 PM Post #400 of 673
Couple questions from an Iem noob

I bought the t3 and they’re an incredible value. For those who have heard much higher priced iems are they a lot better or just marginally better than the t3? Typically at what iem price point will you need an external amp/dac for iems? And lastly if I like this sound signature but want to go higher end, let’s say under 1k what would be a good upgrade?

Feb 5, 2021 at 7:19 PM Post #401 of 673

I bought the t3 and they’re an incredible value. For those who have heard much higher priced iems are they a lot better or just marginally better than the t3? Typically at what iem price point will you need an external amp/dac for iems? And lastly if I like this sound signature but want to go higher end, let’s say under 1k what would be a good upgrade?
Depends on your sensitivity, I'd say. Some people can appreciate what others don't even notice. Some wouldn't even enjoy the T3! (And they're not wrong, just different.)

It's hard to talk in terms of price point, for example I know the Heart Mirror "benefits greatly from" an amp (while not exactly needing it), while I know higher-priced IEMs that don't really scale. Your best bet is to read reviews. Usually they will mention if a pair needs an amp, like in Kbear Believe's reviews.

How sensitive are you to upper mids? The NM2+ is a really good IEM that has a similar sound, but with better detail and separation.

graph (1).png

That part in the upper mids where the red overtakes the green can be tiring though. I deal with it by using eartips which have dampening effect, like the Aet08.

Feb 5, 2021 at 8:16 PM Post #402 of 673

In general, the higher you go up the ladder, the diminishing returns start to kick in hard.
If I could give a ballpark figure, from budget -> midfi -> TOTL IEMs, each bracket gives u about 10 - 30% improvement sonically (subjectively) compared to the preceding bracket, but the price is exponentially more by almost 3 - 10 times each price bracket you jump up.

The sweetspot I would say is somewhere in the $100 - 300ish regions, that's where the most bang for buck is, IMHO.

U can consider the LZ A7 if u want a good upgrade. It has 10 tuning sound signatures, anything from neutralish to U shaped to V shaped, so very versatile. Excellent technicalities, fit, isolation and very good timbre for a hybrid containing piezo. Easy to drive too, no amp needed.

For an amp, it would be useful for certain IEMs with very low sensitivity +/- high impedance, or with certain driver types like planars. Dynamic drivers in general also scale better with a dedicated amp. Multi BA types generally don't benefit from amping, and in fact too much power may skew their frequency response.

IMHO, in terms of price to benefit ratio in the audio chain, I would say upgrade the transducer first (eg the headphone/earbud/IEM), then the amp later on if you have cash. Eartips are also very important in the sonic chain, but its a YMMV situation as we all have different ear anatomies. Thereafter if u still have cash to burn, then u can explore different DACs, Music file bitrate and type (eg lossless vs lossy) and even cables. I would put cables as the last area to upgrade.

Feb 6, 2021 at 8:05 PM Post #403 of 673
Amazon just delivered my T2+, and initial impressions are very, very positive. I actually kinda love them rn lol. They have reassured me that I value fit and comfort very, very highly because these are just a joy to wear.

There's one thing in dealing with rn: I listened to it straight out of the box with the stock cable and stock tips and they fit perfectly and I loved the sound with my Qudelix 5K. They a had a hint of warmth with good vocals and non-offensive treble.
However, I also received a KBEAR 2.5mm cable that I threw on and ran my Qudelix 5K in balanced mode, and suddenly the sound became much warmer with more mid-bass than I'd like. I read that this was a thing on one of the Amazon reviews for this cable, but I didn't think much of it. I thought it may have less resistance so I lowered the volume a touch, but it hasn't seemed to fix it. Swapped the cables a few times and I'm pretty sure this cable gives a warmer sound. I used to have a Tripowin Zonie 2.5mm cable that I used with my Fiio FH3s, but I didn't notice any sound changes. Am I going crazy or is this actually possible? Thinking about returning the cable and just using the stock one as it's not bad at all, but I do like the idea of having a balanced cable and prefer the looks of this one to the Zone lol.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZCR2FV...abc_B5C1PKGGANFH34GJM0D8?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2021 at 8:11 PM Post #404 of 673
Amazon just delivered my T2+, and initial impressions are very, very positive. I actually kinda love them rn lol. They have reassured me that I value fit and comfort very, very highly because these are just a joy to wear.

There's one thing in dealing with rn: I listened to it straight out of the box with the stock cable and stock tips and they fit perfectly and I loved the sound with my Qudelix 5K. They a had a hint of warmth with good vocals and non-offensive treble.
However, I also received a KBEAR 2.5mm cable that I threw on and ran my Qudelix 5K in balanced mode, and suddenly the sound became much warmer with more mid-bass than I'd like. I read that this was a thing on one of the Amazon reviews for this cable, but I didn't think much of it. I thought it may have less resistance so I lowered the volume a touch, but it hasn't seemed to fix it. Swapped the cables a few times and I'm pretty sure this cable gives a warmer sound. I used to have a Tripowin Zonie 2.5mm cable that I used with my Fiio FH3s, but I didn't notice any sound changes. Am I going crazy or is this actually possible? Thinking about returning the cable and just using the stock one as it's not bad at all, but I do like the idea of having a balanced cable and prefer the looks of this one to the Zone lol.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZCR2FV...abc_B5C1PKGGANFH34GJM0D8?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
It’s possible, and some IEMs are particularly sensitive to cables/impedance changes, though I am suprised that a single-DD IEM is so sensitive. I tried out a few different cables, but didn’t really notice any significant differences with my T2+, even from pure copper to pure silver. My Mangird Tea is very sensitive to different cables, with the same source/connection type.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2021 at 10:26 PM Post #405 of 673
It’s possible, and some IEMs are particularly sensitive to cables/impedance changes, though I am suprised that a single-DD IEM is so sensitive. I tried out a few different cables, but didn’t really notice any significant differences with my T2+, even from pure copper to pure silver. My Mangird Tea is very sensitive to different cables, with the same source/connection type.
Thanks for the reply. I wonder if the change in sound is from the higher output power from the Qudelix 5K in balanced mode rather than the cable itself. Will continue to listen and make sure what I'm hearing is correct.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back