tinhifi p1 - campfire audio (DJENT and progressive)
Jul 14, 2021 at 10:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Pietrone

Head-Fier
Hello! Until now i had a 1more triple driver (quite dead :/) and an audient id4 as a dac. Now i have on my way an astell and kern sr15 and a pair of tinaudio p1, which i read a lot of good words for.

I mostly listen to djent, and progressive metal, even though i can go on a calmer and less distorted realm.
Do you think p1 are a good choice? Or maybe i am better set off with some campfire audio like satsuma or honeydew?
i am intrigued by the holocene as well (or maybe you think i m better off with mammoth?)

I like a balanced sound, flat response, not overwheliming bass and not light sound (such as snare) due to too much high freq emphasis. If the the sound is engaging and slighty warm all the better.

What do you think? P1 plus honeydew? Or satsuma? or only a CA? Worth getting only the mammoth?

Please give me your thoughts

Jul 14, 2021 at 12:02 PM Post #2 of 26
What a coincidence...I have the P1 and I'm test-driving the Honeydew as we speak. Also happen to have a Comet, which has a lot of the Satsuma's DNA.

Which one you go with really depends on where you want the focus in those genres to be. If you're a drum man and want to count the polyrhythms, you're probably better off with the P1. Needs a lot of current, though. That planar driver doesn't mess around.

Want something that just punches you over and over again (with a little bit of SQ, too)? Go with the Honeydew and tough out the break-in period (it's really warm out of the box). Very sensitive; the only IEM I've ever seen to reveal the noise floor on my Monolith THX788 DAC/amp (when run balanced). You could probably run this straight out of a phone, but it really seems to like my Astell & Kern SR25.

Want to get the maximum midrange/treble detail at the expense of early fatigue? Go Comet. Same story with the Honeydew, only with a metal shell instead of an ABS one. Weakest bass of the bunch (even relative to the P1, in my opinion), but second-best (again, relative to the P1) in terms of midrange and treble detail. Staging between the two is not so much better or worse, just different.

Does that help?

Jul 14, 2021 at 2:19 PM Post #3 of 26
What a coincidence...I have the P1 and I'm test-driving the Honeydew as we speak. Also happen to have a Comet, which has a lot of the Satsuma's DNA.

Which one you go with really depends on where you want the focus in those genres to be. If you're a drum man and want to count the polyrhythms, you're probably better off with the P1. Needs a lot of current, though. That planar driver doesn't mess around.

Want something that just punches you over and over again (with a little bit of SQ, too)? Go with the Honeydew and tough out the break-in period (it's really warm out of the box). Very sensitive; the only IEM I've ever seen to reveal the noise floor on my Monolith THX788 DAC/amp (when run balanced). You could probably run this straight out of a phone, but it really seems to like my Astell & Kern SR25.

Want to get the maximum midrange/treble detail at the expense of early fatigue? Go Comet. Same story with the Honeydew, only with a metal shell instead of an ABS one. Weakest bass of the bunch (even relative to the P1, in my opinion), but second-best (again, relative to the P1) in terms of midrange and treble detail. Staging between the two is not so much better or worse, just different.

Does that help?
Sure it helps a lot! Thank you!
My focus to be honest are guitars.. If the esrphones can transmit energy than im happy. My best memories with my precious setup (an amazing sounding dac from a gaming laptop of which i cant the find the model) with the 1more triple driver and Visions by Haken in a lossless file. When those first distorted guitars come in it sounded just like life energy!!

That said, its not that i dont appreciate bass or high frequencies, i want everything. I tried the Shozy form with the beryllium driver, it had a monstruos sound for bass and but lacked energy in guitars and cymbals and hi hats sounded crap.

So my final question for You is, should i get the satsuma?

And do You think the p1 and satsuma complement each other or is a useless waste of money? I dont quite count but i enjoy really complex music and analitical listenening.

So my option are either p1 + satsuma/honeydew (dependimg on which fits best my needs) if they complement nicely or just one between holocene and mammoth. Again, i will base my purchase on what you think is best for my loved distorted guitar and general balance :))

Plus i was reading in another thread of this forum a guy writing that one between satsuma and honeydew (i dont remember which) cannot manage metalcore because it Is too congested, i was happy with my triple driver, how come a 200/300$ pièce of gear cannot deal with it?

Please, excusme because these oare my first steps in the hi res audio field, un'utile now i just used my wars to grab everyrhing I could from what I had.

Ak sr25 is enough for p1, also?

Thank you very much! I appreciate your reply

Jul 14, 2021 at 3:20 PM Post #4 of 26
Sure it helps a lot! Thank you!
My focus to be honest are guitars.. If the esrphones can transmit energy than im happy. My best memories with my precious setup (an amazing sounding dac from a gaming laptop of which i cant the find the model) with the 1more triple driver and Visions by Haken in a lossless file. When those first distorted guitars come in it sounded just like life energy!!
If you liked Visions, I think you'd really appreciate Virus. Really good production on that album. @samandhi can tell you about my particular soft spot for all things prog.

The P1 can give you those guitar tones you're looking for, but it needs a decent amount of power to get there. Can you possibly factor in the cost of something like the E1DA PowerDac V2.1 and a balanced MMCX cable? It'll add about $150 to the total (probably a little less), but you can avoid so much time chasing synergy with the P1.

Alternatively, I have had a decent amount of success running them off the iBasso CF01 TWS adapters, but the low-end does suffer as a result. Still kinda cool something has enough current to make them wireless, though.
That said, its not that i dont appreciate bass or high frequencies, i want everything. I tried the Shozy form with the beryllium driver, it had a monstruos sound for bass and but lacked energy in guitars and cymbals and hi hats sounded crap.
Kinda like everything just ends up dull and lifeless? I feel you. Was really happy that the Etymotic EVO managed to bypass that, but we're talking about a completely different price bracket than you're looking at. Have had no experience with Shozy's sound, but looking at FR plots, I can see what you mean.
So my final question for You is, should i get the satsuma?
Not in my opinion. You'd be better off with a used Comet if you wanted that signature, but I think it'll ultimately bore you. The P1 is technically superior, but has the caveat of wonky amp synergy.
And do You think the p1 and satsuma complement each other or is a useless waste of money? I dont quite count but i enjoy really complex music and analitical listenening.
The P1 and Honeydew would be; the P1 and Satsuma would be largely redundant. I'd pass. It has taken me a really, really long time to appreciate the Comet.
So my option are either p1 + satsuma/honeydew (dependimg on which fits best my needs) if they complement nicely or just one between holocene and mammoth. Again, i will base my purchase on what you think is best for my loved distorted guitar and general balance :))
If you've got the budget to go with 2 sets, I'd suggest going P1 with the PowerDAC instead. Better bang for your buck and you get a pretty solid PEQ in the process. It really is a sleeper combo.
Plus i was reading in another thread of this forum a guy writing that one between satsuma and honeydew (i dont remember which) cannot manage metalcore because it Is too congested, i was happy with my triple driver, how come a 200/300$ pièce of gear cannot deal with it?
Oh yeah, the Honeydew struggles with anything over a 16-count in terms of resolution. These LCP drivers can only do so much. P1's going to be much, much faster.
Please, excusme because these oare my first steps in the hi res audio field, un'utile now i just used my wars to grab everyrhing I could from what I had.

Ak sr25 is enough for p1, also?
It does decent. Better when you run it balanced. Still not as rich to my ears as the PowerDAC option and it's considerably less expensive. My suggestion is save the money and put it towards something like a Qobuz subscription or Bandcamp purchases. Never underestimate the importance of having content to enjoy your equipment with. Qobuz seems to carry a lot of the Kscope/Inside Out material as well, so you should find a lot of old familiars and a good deal of it is at least 24/48. Got Tesseract's Sonder from them at a discount due to my subscription tier and that's a 24/96 file.
Thank you very much! I appreciate your reply
My pleasure, bud. Always nice to see another progger out there. Maybe you'll find a way to enjoy this album on whatever you get. In my opinion, it's a must-own for any serious fan of the genre. Like all good prog, might take a good amount of listens to really appreciate. And it will test the limits of your equipment. By far one of my favorite sound test albums at this point:

And since it hasn't been said yet...

Welcome to Head-Fi, and sorry about your wallet :)!

Jul 14, 2021 at 3:54 PM Post #5 of 26
If you liked Visions, I think you'd really appreciate Virus. Really good production on that album. @samandhi can tell you about my particular soft spot for all things prog.

The P1 can give you those guitar tones you're looking for, but it needs a decent amount of power to get there. Can you possibly factor in the cost of something like the E1DA PowerDac V2.1 and a balanced MMCX cable? It'll add about $150 to the total (probably a little less), but you can avoid so much time chasing synergy with the P1.

Alternatively, I have had a decent amount of success running them off the iBasso CF01 TWS adapters, but the low-end does suffer as a result. Still kinda cool something has enough current to make them wireless, though.

Kinda like everything just ends up dull and lifeless? I feel you. Was really happy that the Etymotic EVO managed to bypass that, but we're talking about a completely different price bracket than you're looking at. Have had no experience with Shozy's sound, but looking at FR plots, I can see what you mean.

Not in my opinion. You'd be better off with a used Comet if you wanted that signature, but I think it'll ultimately bore you. The P1 is technically superior, but has the caveat of wonky amp synergy.

The P1 and Honeydew would be; the P1 and Satsuma would be largely redundant. I'd pass. It has taken me a really, really long time to appreciate the Comet.

If you've got the budget to go with 2 sets, I'd suggest going P1 with the PowerDAC instead. Better bang for your buck and you get a pretty solid PEQ in the process. It really is a sleeper combo.

Oh yeah, the Honeydew struggles with anything over a 16-count in terms of resolution. These LCP drivers can only do so much. P1's going to be much, much faster.

It does decent. Better when you run it balanced. Still not as rich to my ears as the PowerDAC option and it's considerably less expensive. My suggestion is save the money and put it towards something like a Qobuz subscription or Bandcamp purchases. Never underestimate the importance of having content to enjoy your equipment with. Qobuz seems to carry a lot of the Kscope/Inside Out material as well, so you should find a lot of old familiars and a good deal of it is at least 24/48. Got Tesseract's Sonder from them at a discount due to my subscription tier and that's a 24/96 file.

My pleasure, bud. Always nice to see another progger out there. Maybe you'll find a way to enjoy this album on whatever you get. In my opinion, it's a must-own for any serious fan of the genre. Like all good prog, might take a good amount of listens to really appreciate. And it will test the limits of your equipment. By far one of my favorite sound test albums at this point:

My dear with prog you're breaking a destroyed door with me! I will listen to that album as soon as i get home.

I saw your powerdac, its affordable enough but it Is Not a dap. I can probably buy it and connect to the sr15 or just send the sr15 back. Any advice on the balanced cable?

Do you mind telling me whats PEQ and SQ? Maybe i should check somewhere in the forum, so sorry i will do It now.

And thanks again for welcoming me, if you want to talk about actual music😁😁😁😁😁😁😁

Jul 14, 2021 at 4:09 PM Post #6 of 26
My dear with prog you're breaking a destroyed door with me! I will listen to that album as soon as i get home.
It's a genre I keep near and dear to my heart. Always nice to be in company.
I saw your powerdac, its affordable enough but it Is Not a dap. I can probably buy it and connect to the sr15 or just send the sr15 back. Any advice on the balanced cable?
Oops missed the part where you said you had a SR15 on the way. Honestly, I think you should return it; the SR25 was a marked enough improvement without taking a major battery hit that I think it's worth getting the newer product if you want to stay in the A&K space. Alternatively, there's a lot of Chinese offerings like the Hiby R5/R5 Saber that has more power on paper and come in for less than the A&K. For what it's worth, I received a dud of a R5, had to RMA it, and decided to just go with the SR25 in the end. Have no regrets, aside from not just continuing to save up for the SP2000 instead. Then again, there's always something bigger and better.

It's also worth noting that A&K's UI is restrictive compared to other DAPs that have full Android. You don't get a Play Store and can only install whatever apps A&K have whitelisted. There is a native Tidal app, though, so you'll be covered if that's one of the services you're looking into. I run Qobuz, Spotify, and Amazon Music HD on mine. Can't stand Amazon on a DAP. Don't recommend.
Do you mind telling me whats PEQ and SQ? Maybe i should check somewhere in the forum, so sorry i will do It now.
PEQ (Parametric Equalization) is just a more elaborate way to selectively EQ. Some apps/DAPs do it, some don't. I wouldn't bother with it for now. Later, it can become a really powerful tool to shape the sound of whatever IEMs you choose. The SR25 has both a Parametric (PEQ) and Graphic (GEQ) equalizer with a lot more bands than I would have potentially expected. You're definitely covered on native EQ.

SQ is just an abbreviation for "sound quality." This one's more of an all-encompassing term that covers frequency response (bass, mids, treble) along with technicalities like:
  • How much space you can hear around each instrument
  • How clearly defined each instrument is from the other (also called "separation")
  • How accurately-positioned everything is along the X, Y, and (potentially) Z axes ("imaging") as well as how big a space that occupies ("imaging")
    • In this one, I say take everybody's accounts of what an IEM will do with a grain of salt; it's a really subjective parameter
  • How well something holds up sonically during busy passages.
The more you listen to, the easier it'll be to figure this kinda stuff out. Don't worry too much about the details for now, but I figured I'd share since you asked.
And thanks again for welcoming me, if you want to talk about actual music😁😁😁😁😁😁😁
I'm just a PM away, bud. Anytime.

Jul 14, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #7 of 26
It's a genre I keep near and dear to my heart. Always nice to be in company.

Oops missed the part where you said you had a SR15 on the way. Honestly, I think you should return it; the SR25 was a marked enough improvement without taking a major battery hit that I think it's worth getting the newer product if you want to stay in the A&K space. Alternatively, there's a lot of Chinese offerings like the Hiby R5/R5 Saber that has more power on paper and come in for less than the A&K. For what it's worth, I received a dud of a R5, had to RMA it, and decided to just go with the SR25 in the end. Have no regrets, aside from not just continuing to save up for the SP2000 instead. Then again, there's always something bigger and better.

It's also worth noting that A&K's UI is restrictive compared to other DAPs that have full Android. You don't get a Play Store and can only install whatever apps A&K have whitelisted. There is a native Tidal app, though, so you'll be covered if that's one of the services you're looking into. I run Qobuz, Spotify, and Amazon Music HD on mine. Can't stand Amazon on a DAP. Don't recommend.

PEQ (Parametric Equalization) is just a more elaborate way to selectively EQ. Some apps/DAPs do it, some don't. I wouldn't bother with it for now. Later, it can become a really powerful tool to shape the sound of whatever IEMs you choose. The SR25 has both a Parametric (PEQ) and Graphic (GEQ) equalizer with a lot more bands than I would have potentially expected. You're definitely covered on native EQ.

SQ is just an abbreviation for "sound quality." This one's more of an all-encompassing term that covers frequency response (bass, mids, treble) along with technicalities like:
  • How much space you can hear around each instrument
  • How clearly defined each instrument is from the other (also called "separation")
  • How accurately-positioned everything is along the X, Y, and (potentially) Z axes ("imaging") as well as how big a space that occupies ("imaging")
    • In this one, I say take everybody's accounts of what an IEM will do with a grain of salt; it's a really subjective parameter
  • How well something holds up sonically during busy passages.
The more you listen to, the easier it'll be to figure this kinda stuff out. Don't worry too much about the details for now, but I figured I'd share since you asked.

I'm just a PM away, bud. Anytime.
I really appreciate spending your time for me. On what you pointed out about SQ and eq im not new, and i think my ear is al ready well trailer. I just never got high end gear and did not new those words.

I think amazon let me return the Aksr15 even of i try it first. My problem is that being european the market is small and a lot of stuff arent available. I saw the hiby r5 for 60euro more than the ak on amazon, of you think SQwise is worth it especially will p1 i think it Is definitely doable.

The powerDAC is more tempnting but having to run it from a phone its sad and i fan only buy it from China so who knows how much should i wait.

I'm really glad i can ask you, otherwise i would be blindly purchasing without even being able if the aksr15 was a good buy!

Jul 14, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #8 of 26
I really appreciate spending your time for me. On what you pointed out about SQ and eq im not new, and i think my ear is al ready well trailer. I just never got high end gear and did not new those words.
I apologize if I over-simplified, then. I'm an engineer by trade, so way too used to having to break down jargon for folks.
I think amazon let me return the Aksr15 even of i try it first. My problem is that being european the market is small and a lot of stuff arent available. I saw the hiby r5 for 60euro more than the ak on amazon, of you think SQwise is worth it especially will p1 i think it Is definitely doable.
If it's more than the SR15, I'd pass. Definitely not worth more imo. The A&K is built better and you won't have to worry about any potential battery-swelling issues with the HiBy (apparently it's a thing)
The powerDAC is more tempnting but having to run it from a phone its sad and i fan only buy it from China so who knows how much should i wait.
The E1DA guys are pretty receptive to communications (to the point where they run a dedicated Discord server to handle all questions), so I wouldn't worry as much about where it's coming from. I do know there's the new stipulations with EU residents having to now pay VAT, though. If that's the case, I don't blame you for passing. Usually, you can find them used in a pinch, but sounds like you're looking for a DAP instead. You made a good choice.
I'm really glad i can ask you, otherwise i would be blindly purchasing without even being able if the aksr15 was a good buy!
I feel like I do that with a lot of purchases at this point, but I've accepted my role as glorified lab rat for the community.

Jul 14, 2021 at 5:07 PM Post #9 of 26
I apologize if I over-simplified, then. I'm an engineer by trade, so way too used to having to break down jargon for folks.

If it's more than the SR15, I'd pass. Definitely not worth more imo. The A&K is built better and you won't have to worry about any potential battery-swelling issues with the HiBy (apparently it's a thing)

The E1DA guys are pretty receptive to communications (to the point where they run a dedicated Discord server to handle all questions), so I wouldn't worry as much about where it's coming from. I do know there's the new stipulations with EU residents having to now pay VAT, though. If that's the case, I don't blame you for passing. Usually, you can find them used in a pinch, but sounds like you're looking for a DAP instead. You made a good choice.

I feel like I do that with a lot of purchases at this point, but I've accepted my role as glorified lab rat for the community.
Ahahah in an year i should finish university and get going working, probably i will end up the same!
Looking at the Last CA realesed i really felt like starting collection IEMs, plus the previous 2 really looks like candies!

Anyway at this point you said that the powerdac gives me so much more and i will buy it probably and just connect it to the Ak.

I will definitely search for those balanced cables too.

Plus: some of my favs proggers: Haken, caligula'shorse, Blood by OSI, tigran hamasyan (Mockroot), Arch Echo, Sparky puppy, Twelve food ninja, their dogs were astronauts (neon theatre) ; if you like CAFO you may want to check out 4.5 Spurfunf by art against agony from "The forgotten story". If you found something you didnt know and like i am happy. Thanks again for the talk 😁😁

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2021 at 5:10 PM Post #10 of 26
Plus: some of my favs progressi: Haken, caligula'shorse, Blood by OSI, tigran hamasyan (Mockroot), Arch Echo, Sparky puppy, Twelve food ninja, their dogs were astronauts (neon theatre) ; if you like CAFONE you may want to check out 4.5 Spurfunf by art against agony from "The forgotten story". If you found something you didnt know and liked i am happy. Thanks again for the talk 😁😁
That OSI album is a classic. Album art makes you think it's something different entirely, though. Noticed a couple lesser-knowns in there, so I'll add them into the list. Mission accomplished :)

Jul 14, 2021 at 5:42 PM Post #11 of 26
Jul 14, 2021 at 5:45 PM Post #12 of 26
Jul 14, 2021 at 5:55 PM Post #13 of 26

I can indeed vouch for that. I myself am an up-and-coming (contemporary) prog lover. I have always loved prog, but mostly old school stuff. @miserybeforethemusic has been kind enough to help me get up to speed with a selection he is familiar with. Of those he has introduced to me, I think Sub Lunar is one of my favorites thus far.

Don't let the price fool you with the P1. They are some of the best resolving IEMs without ever getting annoying. It has been my experience that the P1 HAD to have been made for the iBasso DX160, and/or the DX300. They seem to have plenty of current to drive them to their full potential IMO. If you like planar sound, these should definitely be on your short-list.
I am a big fan of fun tuning, but only if it is done well enough to also sound a bit analytical (best of both worlds).
The transients on the P1 (and the layering, and imaging) are what make them so very special. You can hear everything in even the most complicated metal songs, if driven properly, and the source music is well recorded, and good quality.
That darned White Willow. :) It is fantastic! I catch myself listening to it often.

Yes! Welcome to Head-FI!

If you are not too far down the A&K rabbit hole, any of the Chinese (big name) mid-tier DAPs will do you well (Hiby, Cayin, iBasso, Fiio, etc..). I personally have and love the DX160. It has a few niggles as far as WiFi, and BT, but the sound quality alone makes it punch in at much higher than its price tag IMO.
t's also worth noting that A&K's UI is restrictive compared to other DAPs that have full Android. You don't get a Play Store and can only install whatever apps A&K have whitelisted. There is a native Tidal app, though, so you'll be covered if that's one of the services you're looking into. I run Qobuz, Spotify, and Amazon Music HD on mine. Can't stand Amazon on a DAP. Don't recommend.
But, don't forget that the higher end A&K DAPs are also Roon certified now too (hopefully they will add it to yours soon). This is not to say that you CAN'T run is as a Roon endpoint, but you will only get the 24/48 that is the android stack limit.

If your preferred tuning is anything like @miserybeforethemusic's then I would trust his ears. His and mine are pretty close. I bought (blindly) the DUNU DK2001 on his recommendation, and they are my second favorite IEMs currently (which is fantastic considering how little they cost). :)

Jul 14, 2021 at 6:12 PM Post #15 of 26
I can indeed vouch for that. I myself am an up-and-coming (contemporary) prog lover. I have always loved prog, but mostly old school stuff. @miserybeforethemusic has been kind enough to help me get up to speed with a selection he is familiar with. Of those he has introduced to me, I think Sub Lunar is one of my favorites thus far.

Don't let the price fool you with the P1. They are some of the best resolving IEMs without ever getting annoying. It has been my experience that the P1 HAD to have been made for the iBasso DX160, and/or the DX300. They seem to have plenty of current to drive them to their full potential IMO. If you like planar sound, these should definitely be on your short-list.

I am a big fan of fun tuning, but only if it is done well enough to also sound a bit analytical (best of both worlds).

The transients on the P1 (and the layering, and imaging) are what make them so very special. You can hear everything in even the most complicated metal songs, if driven properly, and the source music is well recorded, and good quality.

That darned White Willow. :) It is fantastic! I catch myself listening to it often.

Yes! Welcome to Head-FI!

If you are not too far down the A&K rabbit hole, any of the Chinese (big name) mid-tier DAPs will do you well (Hiby, Cayin, iBasso, Fiio, etc..). I personally have and love the DX160. It has a few niggles as far as WiFi, and BT, but the sound quality alone makes it punch in at much higher than its price tag IMO.

But, don't forget that the higher end A&K DAPs are also Roon certified now too (hopefully they will add it to yours soon). This is not to say that you CAN'T run is as a Roon endpoint, but you will only get the 24/48 that is the android stack limit.

If your preferred tuning is anything like @miserybeforethemusic's then I would trust his ears. His and mine are pretty close. I bought (blindly) the DUNU DK2001 on his recommendation, and they are my second favorite IEMs currently (which is fantastic considering how little they cost). :)
Kinera in general is hard to get, sadly.

I am even more happy for my incoming P1 now!

Yes i had a listening to that white willow album now and it Is beautiful indeed.
But what is Sub Lunar?

Guys, you made me happy, i cant wait Monday for my p1 + a Properzio dap.

I really wish the Sr15 has enough juice for the p1.

I just ordered the cable, even thought amzn doesnt know about the arrival date 🤣

I hope that my Audient id14 is enough for them at least. In the meanwhile i am really excited for the upcoming Twelve foot ninja records

Users who are viewing this thread

Back