Tiny DAC, Big Sound, Evolved – Stoner Acoustics UD100 / UD110 / UD120
Nov 7, 2014 at 7:21 AM Post #961 of 1,162
Oh........

Well you didn't state your budget so I assumed......
My bad. Yeah. Not trying to go crazy. Would rather do $300 for both, but $350 is my max pretty much. Black Friday is coming up.

Nov 12, 2014 at 1:14 PM Post #965 of 1,162
  Is there a reliable comparison between the (DAC section) of the UD120 vs. either Dragonfly 1.2 or the HRT Microstreamer?

Thanks

Both the Dragonfly and Microstreamer have integrated amps that cannot be bypassed I believe, so it would be impossible to do a pure DAC to DAC comparison.

Edit: The MS actually has a separate DAC only path, so a comparison could be made between those two.

Nov 18, 2014 at 2:52 AM Post #967 of 1,162
The UD120 has just been reviewed by Headfonia http://www.headfonia.com/stoner-acoustics-ud120-ultimate-mini-dac/

Nov 21, 2014 at 1:01 PM Post #969 of 1,162
  Does anybody know if Raspberry Pi b+ work with UD120 and if so any special configuration?

Don't see any reason for it to not work since it's still running basically the same hardware. Just size and a few outputs have been changed.

UD120 also can work without drivers. They provide drivers if you want to go above the UAC 1.0 spec (I think UAC 2.0 supports 32-bit w/ all common sample rates but I think it requires drivers? Haven't checked in awhile) although I think the drivers are only available for Windows.

Nov 26, 2014 at 5:38 PM Post #970 of 1,162
So I've had several weeks to listen to the UD120, and I must say it is a great little DAC.  Just for curiosity sake, I plugged back in my old Sabre DAC from hifimediy...although they are very very close, I could tell the UD120 was slightly warmer and smoother sounding without losing any detail.  I think speaker/headphone choice plays a big part in which would be better, but since my speakers are very revealing, the UD120 is a keeper!

UPDATE  -  I also had a chance to compare the UD120 to a iDSD nano.  The UD120 is a clear winner - more detail, soundstage and overall clarity without being analytical or harsh. Even when feeding the nano pure, unconverted 2x DSD material, I still preferred the UD120 with 24/192 PCM (comparisons were made with files downloaded from 2L).

Can't wait to see what Stoner cooks up next, especially with balanced outputs!

Nov 29, 2014 at 12:06 AM Post #971 of 1,162
If anyone wants a unpowered usb hub that will run ur dac straight off the iphone no power req then try a pluggable with a camera connection cable from the iphone 5 no hack req.... Works under ios 8 and with iPad Air etc

If you didn't want to drain off your iPhone battery make a dc injection cable and battery feed your dac with the minty boost should work or similar 5V pack I use a powergen with a 2 amp usb out feed works well.

Nov 29, 2014 at 1:01 AM Post #972 of 1,162
  Has anyone managed to get the UD120 working from a USB 3.0 port? Mine just doesn't work, no sound and all the youtube videos play at 2x speed with no sound etc.

Not all usb 3.0 ports are backwards compatible with usb 2.0. Check your motherboard if it supports it. If it does, install the necessary drivers needed usually they will provide it online. But still why do you want to plug it into usb 3 ports? Just plug into usb 2.0 port and call it a day

Dec 6, 2014 at 4:31 AM Post #973 of 1,162
Hello, I have encountered a serious problem with UD120 (or, more specifically, with its driver) - at least in Windows 8.1, it keeps resetting the windows idle idle timer. So while UD120 is plugged in, the computer never goes to sleep, turns of its display, starts defragmentation/trimming, indexing etc. etc.

This might be a workaround around USB selective suspend problems someone mentioned, but if intentional, it is a really terrible way to avoid them.

I was trying to find a reason why my display does not turn off after 10 minutes, so i installed http://www.daanav.com/free-idle-timer-utility-for-windows/ and voila - the timer is on 0 seconds all the time. Once I unplug UD120, everything is back to normal. Tried changing ports, connecting the DAC to USB hub and many other things, to no avail. Seems the weird driver is the culprit. 
frown.gif

EDIT: OK, so the UD120 dongle is an USB Composite Device consisting of BRAVO-HD iAP Device, UD120HS (the soundcard/DAC itself) and USB Input Device containing HID-compliant consumer control. Disabling the Input Device in Device Manager made the idle timer go normal. Was the only purpose of the device to reset the timer? Also, disabled the BRAVO-HD iAP Device, everything still worked well. Noticed no cracks or anything after being idle, so I am totally happy now, I just do not understand why there are the two USB 'devices' (one useless and one idle-hampering) bundled with UD120HS. :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g3b3hqz3s1mzs3y/ud120.png?dl=0

Dec 13, 2014 at 3:04 AM Post #974 of 1,162
So I had requests asking to see whether the UD120 or async DACs could benefit from the Wyrd, the answer is a pretty clear yes in a measurements fashion. Test was done with separate laptops on battery for DAC and ADC to avoid ground noise. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back