Tips on buying NOS Tubes!
Dec 28, 2014 at 11:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Jeb Listens

100+ Head-Fier
Happy holidays to everyone!

I have a question for anyone who is familiar with buying NOS tubes from the 60s onwards.  

Scouring eBay there are lots of (seemingly) reputable sellers who obviously have large quantities (like a whole box-load e.g. 200) of certain driver or power tubes which look to be in superb condition.  

I'm looking at Mullard 12au7s.  Is it generally safe to buy these untested and unmatched  (i need 2)   or  in any bulk load like that will there always be some duds and some with vastly different testing results?   Am I generally safe, or is it a bit of a lottery when untested?

Thanks for your help!

Regards

Jeb. 

Dec 28, 2014 at 8:10 PM Post #2 of 4
I would assume it all depends on what conditions the tubes have been exposed to over the years. Untested means exactly that - untested. Is there a return policy?

Dec 29, 2014 at 3:00 PM Post #3 of 4
thanks billybob - not the first question of mine you have been on hand to answer! much appreciated. 

In the end, I asked the seller if they could test the tubes and pass on the results before buying and they were very happy to do so.  

Woo WA7 and WA7tp on their way to me as well as some Mullard CV4003s, which have an excellent reputation in WA7tp.  We'll see when it all arrives.  The proof is in the pudding as they say.  Or at least they do here.

Regards

Jeb. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back