Too soft Beyer DT880 250 ohms
Aug 13, 2012 at 9:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

georgelai57

Headphoneus Supremus
Help! The Beyer DT880 250 ohms are my first high impedance cans (the others being Grado SR325iS, AKG K550, ATH-M50, AD700 etc). Using my iMac as a source, I find that my desktop amps (Fiio E10, Audioengine D1) have to be turned to maximum volume to reach a listening level of about 1/2 to 3/4 of the maximum level I would prefer. Similarly for my portable amps (Fiio E11, ZO 2.3) when using my iPhone 4S and iPod Classic, whether from Headphone out or Line out jacks. This applies to all genres of my music collection though my favorites are Rock, Blues and R&B. Can more experienced members please recommend good desktop and/or portable amps that can EASILY drive these cans? Budget below USD200. Thanks in advance.

Aug 13, 2012 at 10:17 AM Post #2 of 6
Your FiiO should properly drive the headphones.  Something else must be wrong with your setup.

Aug 13, 2012 at 10:26 AM Post #3 of 6
Jay, yes I thought the Fiios should have no problem driving the Beyer but the setup cant be wrong since it's consistently the case with the Audioengines nad the portable Fiios. I'm stumped

Aug 13, 2012 at 10:42 AM Post #4 of 6
Update - I really shouldn't multi-task! I forgot that at the bottom of the e10, I had left it at Low Gain for my normal cans and switching it to High Gain gives me the volume that I want. Now that solves half the problem because the portable amps are still too weak (even the High Gain setting on the e11)! Any recommendations for a powerful portable amp?

Aug 13, 2012 at 11:10 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:
Update - I really shouldn't multi-task! I forgot that at the bottom of the e10, I had left it at Low Gain for my normal cans and switching it to High Gain gives me the volume that I want. Now that solves half the problem because the portable amps are still too weak (even the High Gain setting on the e11)! Any recommendations for a powerful portable amp?

I used to have the same problem like u. hahaha. It's pretty loud with E10.
But It's not powerful enough to drive the real performance of DT880 250 Ohms.

I would recommend
Audio-GD NFB-12.(I'm using it)
Yulong D100
Burson
Lehmann Audio

Aug 13, 2012 at 3:19 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

The O2 (Objective 2) portable headphone amplifier can be used with headphones up to 600-Ohms.
It's 4.25" X 3.25" X 1", it can function as a portable and a desktop amp (AC powered).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back