Top 5 Closed Back Cans
May 22, 2012 at 3:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 72

pellryan

New Head-Fier
I'm leaning towards the Denon AH-D5000's or 7000's, but I'd like to see what everyone else thinks on this matter. They have to be closed back (if there are any open back headphones with little bleeding feel free to throw those into the mix). Price range doesnt matter, I'm interested in quality. 

May 22, 2012 at 3:25 PM Post #2 of 72
Be aware D5000 have deeper bass but their high may sound little bit bright for some people but it's easily fixed by graphic EQ plus recordings with too high recording level may have distorted highs. D7000 on the other hand less deeper but still high quality well controlled punchy bass and most recordings with too high level don't have distorted high but those who still have some left are usually easy to tolerate

May 22, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #5 of 72
Quote:
Beyer Gel pads stops the leak and increase soundstage and midbass.

and increase sweat and dont work if you wear glasses

Or so I have read

May 22, 2012 at 6:21 PM Post #6 of 72
To my ears the D2000 still sounds better.  The looks of the wood cups on the make me want to upgrade from the D2000 to the D5000 just so I can have great looking can around, but I will like the D2000.

If you are leaning toward Denon why not save some money and settle for the D2000.  I think there are many of us that prefer their sound to the other more expensive Denon models.

From these graphs the D5000 gives a +2dB boost to the lows and highs, but the highs are getting dangerously close bright.
http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=2881&graphID[]=2891&graphID[]=283

I know the listeners over at Headphone.com just bumped the D2000 off of their Top 10 list and replaced it with the AKG K550.  Perhaps those would be worthy of a try.

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=3571&graphID[]=2881

From the charts the AKG K550 do slightly outperform the D2000.  You get better low bass response and a more accurate square wave reproduction.

If you are looking for the new best thing then the AKG K550 would be it.

May 22, 2012 at 9:40 PM Post #9 of 72
My vote goes to Ultrasone Edition 8.  SRH940 provide 85% of the sound quality for 20% of the price so as a rational consumer I'd get those.  D7000 are pretty nice but I ultimately left them for Ultrasone because of their sharp treble and recessed mids.  I might even like SRH940 more than D7000 but I wasn't able to a/b them.

May 23, 2012 at 1:56 AM Post #10 of 72
To my ears the D2000 still sounds better.  The looks of the wood cups on the make me want to upgrade from the D2000 to the D5000 just so I can have great looking can around, but I will like the D2000.

If you are leaning toward Denon why not save some money and settle for the D2000.  I think there are many of us that prefer their sound to the other more expensive Denon models.

From these graphs the D5000 gives a +2dB boost to the lows and highs, but the highs are getting dangerously close bright.
http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=2881&graphID[]=2891&graphID[]=283

I know the listeners over at Headphone.com just bumped the D2000 off of their Top 10 list and replaced it with the AKG K550.  Perhaps those would be worthy of a try.

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=3571&graphID[]=2881

From the charts the AKG K550 do slightly outperform the D2000.  You get better low bass response and a more accurate square wave reproduction.

If you are looking for the new best thing then the AKG K550 would be it.

What did you pair them with? And the only reason the K550 replaced the Denon is because the Denon is discontinued and its the closest functional and ss copy.

If value is a criteria then D2000, if not the bigger the better, and even some LA mods while we are at it.

Sent from my HTC HD2 using Tapatalk 2

May 23, 2012 at 2:31 AM Post #11 of 72
Best closed can (and among best cans ever) I've yet heard (and owned) is the Kenwood KH-K1000. There's nothing I dislike there. Great low end response and extension, perfectly integrated and well balanced mids (somewhat mid forward even), extended but not harsh/sibilant treble, great soundstage, decent isolation, super comfy, fast, and musical. What more can you ask for? Oh, and just to ice the cake - they are probably one of the least picky cans out there in terms of amp/source matching. None of the "hard to drive" Beyer issues or "noise sensitive" Denon concerns.

A close second would be the Denon D2000 - they're far more sensitive, which means if you have noisy components they might be a bother. They don't isolate as well either, but the sound is nearly as good and they're easier to track down and cost less. Sound-staging and positioning is great, but the "they might as well be open" jokes aren't far from the truth; the Kenwood does all that with isolation and no harshness.

Not even fair against other cans (various Ultrasone, T70, etc). Denon are better, Kenwood are much better.

I'm myself curious how they compare with the AT W1000X (Grandioso) and W1000 (Sovereign) - they're often regarded as being "smoother" and "brighter" than the Denon models, but I see "sibilant" and "picky" in a lot of reviews too. The one review I've found of the K1000 (with measurements) compared it to the W1000 favorably, fwiw. Never read about it against the X. Can't source Sovereign anymore, and X is fairly expensive just to satisfy curiosity.

There's also a few closed-back 'stats out there, like the Koss ESP/10 and STAX 4070. I've had the Koss, and they're good (they're HEAVY though) - the STAX are supposed to be world-beaters. If you can deal with minor leakage, I'd throw the current Koss 'stats and Sennheiser 580/600/650 onto the list as well. Less bass than the Denon or Kenwood, and Sennheisers will pull the mids back a little bit (it's not bad except for movies - the ESP/10s are sort-of dark too). Still good sound-staging/imaging, musical, not fatiguing, not harsh, etc. You have more robust amplification requirements for the Senns relative to Kenwood and especially Denon (300 ohms and it's neither as flat nor as sensitive), and the Koss come with their own amp (which is competent).

Get the D2000 or the K1000 and a competent little amplifier and be finished with it is what I'd do. If you're worried about heat, get an HD 600 (velour pads, open-back, etc). Same money either way (Denons will save you $100 though, but you could get the D5000 if you want the wood look - they should be around $400-$450 while they go out; take care with the lettering). The current Koss ESPs might end up at parity with an HD 600, D5000, or K1000 (they're all right around $400) + amp ($200-$250 on an amp isn't that absurd), so at least think about it. D2000 + amp (say like an E9 or EF2) could probably be done inside of the price envelope of any of those three though ($300 cans + $100 amp) - that's a value right there.

May 23, 2012 at 4:07 AM Post #12 of 72
Quote:
Best closed can (and among best cans ever) I've yet heard (and owned) is the Kenwood KH-K1000. There's nothing I dislike there. Great low end response and extension, perfectly integrated and well balanced mids (somewhat mid forward even), extended but not harsh/sibilant treble, great soundstage, decent isolation, super comfy, fast, and musical. What more can you ask for? Oh, and just to ice the cake - they are probably one of the least picky cans out there in terms of amp/source matching. None of the "hard to drive" Beyer issues or "noise sensitive" Denon concerns.
A close second would be the Denon D2000 - they're far more sensitive, which means if you have noisy components they might be a bother. They don't isolate as well either, but the sound is nearly as good and they're easier to track down and cost less. Sound-staging and positioning is great, but the "they might as well be open" jokes aren't far from the truth; the Kenwood does all that with isolation and no harshness.
Not even fair against other cans (various Ultrasone, T70, etc). Denon are better, Kenwood are much better.
I'm myself curious how they compare with the AT W1000X (Grandioso) and W1000 (Sovereign) - they're often regarded as being "smoother" and "brighter" than the Denon models, but I see "sibilant" and "picky" in a lot of reviews too. The one review I've found of the K1000 (with measurements) compared it to the W1000 favorably, fwiw. Never read about it against the X. Can't source Sovereign anymore, and X is fairly expensive just to satisfy curiosity.
There's also a few closed-back 'stats out there, like the Koss ESP/10 and STAX 4070. I've had the Koss, and they're good (they're HEAVY though) - the STAX are supposed to be world-beaters. If you can deal with minor leakage, I'd throw the current Koss 'stats and Sennheiser 580/600/650 onto the list as well. Less bass than the Denon or Kenwood, and Sennheisers will pull the mids back a little bit (it's not bad except for movies - the ESP/10s are sort-of dark too). Still good sound-staging/imaging, musical, not fatiguing, not harsh, etc. You have more robust amplification requirements for the Senns relative to Kenwood and especially Denon (300 ohms and it's neither as flat nor as sensitive), and the Koss come with their own amp (which is competent).
Get the D2000 or the K1000 and a competent little amplifier and be finished with it is what I'd do. If you're worried about heat, get an HD 600 (velour pads, open-back, etc). Same money either way (Denons will save you $100 though, but you could get the D5000 if you want the wood look - they should be around $400-$450 while they go out; take care with the lettering). The current Koss ESPs might end up at parity with an HD 600, D5000, or K1000 (they're all right around $400) + amp ($200-$250 on an amp isn't that absurd), so at least think about it. D2000 + amp (say like an E9 or EF2) could probably be done inside of the price envelope of any of those three though ($300 cans + $100 amp) - that's a value right there.

Bravo. +1 to you sir. The problem now is that this is not the first time the Kenwood KH-K1000 has popped up on my radar, and now I want one... Damn it I just bought the D7k, owell I will stick with it.
Denon + Fiio E10 is my recommendation, a DAC is more important then an amp, and the E10 can amp well enough. Its a value buy.
But after reading this I would try stretch for the Kenwoods

May 23, 2012 at 5:52 AM Post #13 of 72
Ultrasone Signature Pro > Ultrasone Edition 8 > Denon D7000 = Audio Techinca ATH W5000 > Beyerdynamic T5p

The ones I've not heard but are reputedly top tier as well are the Fostex THD900 and the ATH w3000ANV

May 23, 2012 at 6:00 AM Post #14 of 72
Quote:
Ultrasone Signature Pro > Ultrasone Edition 8 > Denon D7000 = Audio Techinca ATH W5000 > Beyerdynamic T5p

The ones I've not heard but are reputedly top tier as well are the Fostex THD900 and the ATH w3000ANV

It also depends on your SS preferences, e.g. the Denons are much more relaxing then most of the others, 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back