Top of the line headphones?
May 16, 2013 at 3:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

magnavox

New Head-Fier
Im looking for headphones that I can use for both music/gaming, mainly gaming.

Ive been looking at the sennheiser 363d and the beyerdynamic mmx 300 Im leaning towards the mmx 300 based on reviews and research.

My question is I dont care for the mic (headset) im looking for headphones that are even better then those without the mic.

Any recommendations? Thanks

May 16, 2013 at 7:10 PM Post #2 of 16
Personally if I were you I would get some really good audiophile, open backed headphones and then buy a gaming sound card so you can get a much better DAC/AMP and then some cool DSP's like virtual surround to make the headphone better for gaming and music. 

I have Sennheiser Amperiors and with a surround sound DSP the sound stage widens and I can accurately pin point positions. The sound quality is amazing clear and potent. It works very well for gaming even though that is not its intention. Get a headphone with a much bigger sound stage to begin with like a Sennheiser HD 598, 600 or 650 and then you will have even better results then what I'm getting. 

The major problem is power with big audiophile headphones so getting a sound card with an amp is key, whether an internal or external one. Asus Xonar Essence STX would be a nice pairing. On Ebay the card can be had for around $120.

No doubt a pure high end headphone will beat the gaming headphone in music. All the other genres can be had as well through DSP's that the gaming headphone most likely uses.

Good luck! 

May 16, 2013 at 10:05 PM Post #3 of 16
Ahhhhh! I have the stx card!!! I was looking up some videos and I think ima go with the hd 600s! If you or anyone else have any other headphones in mind lemme know! :] i got the astro a40s when i got my card and well was disappointed, guess they were all hype haha. Glad i looked into it!

Soooo I should be using the dac right? Not the optical? Im new to all this :] thanks again man.

May 16, 2013 at 11:56 PM Post #4 of 16
Really funny that you actually have that card. Your card I believe has a direct 1/4" headphone port that is amped. You should not use optical for headphones, you really can't because it is digital not analog. You just plug your headphones right in and the card will take care of everything. The DAC and Amp will be doing their job just fine. If I was you I would buy a used pair of Sennheiser HD650's off ebay or off head fi. I know most people really prefer the HD650 over the 600. As for other brand you can look at the Beyerdynamic DT990. There many good headphones that you can drive yourself crazy on which one is the right one for you. Whatever you get you'll be blown away by the sound. 

May 17, 2013 at 3:25 AM Post #5 of 16
MLE's gaming guide: http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-4-30-13-koss-esp-950-added

May 17, 2013 at 6:18 AM Post #6 of 16
If you don't need the mic then you can get better headphones for the price of the mmx 300. All in one the mmx is hard to beat.

May 17, 2013 at 10:32 AM Post #7 of 16
The best gaming headphones I've ever had for competitive use were the Audio Technica AD700.  With the lows almost never in the scene, picking out details is far easier.  The imaging is superb as well.  Comfort wise is a hit or miss, I personally have found them extremely comfortable.

I don't play competitive FPS anymore, the Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro 250 Ohms is way more fun.  They sound better to me for music to me, and are more comfortable.

Get a clip-on omnidirectional mic, or a decent logitech webcam.  The mics in current headsets are utter trash, it pains me to have someone wearing a headset in teamspeak...

Better buy this fast before they run out of stock:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Logitech-C210-Web-Cam-Easy-Video-Chat-USB-Plug-/181120435698?pt=PCA_Video_Conferencing_Webcams&hash=item2a2b9e85f2

^ Excellent mic quality and gain.  Picture is wonderful though low resolution.

May 17, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:
The best gaming headphones I've ever had for competitive use were the Audio Technica AD700.  With the lows almost never in the scene, picking out details is far easier.  The imaging is superb as well.  Comfort wise is a hit or miss, I personally have found them extremely comfortable.

I don't play competitive FPS anymore, the Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro 250 Ohms is way more fun.  They sound better to me for music to me, and are more comfortable.

Get a clip-on omnidirectional mic, or a decent logitech webcam.  The mics in current headsets are utter trash, it pains me to have someone wearing a headset in teamspeak...

Better buy this fast before they run out of stock:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Logitech-C210-Web-Cam-Easy-Video-Chat-USB-Plug-/181120435698?pt=PCA_Video_Conferencing_Webcams&hash=item2a2b9e85f2

^ Excellent mic quality and gain.  Picture is wonderful though low resolution.

Ohh, I dunno. The HD800 is better for picking out details and imaging...if you can afford one and a requisite setup.

May 17, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:
You can get a nice car for $3k?

Actually, yes

New probably not, but dealer auctions often have swings at this price.  Luckily I know people who are dealers 
size]

May 17, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:
Actually, yes

New probably not, but dealer auctions often have swings at this price.  Luckily I know people who are dealers 
size]

In my country you have to put 180% on top of the price of a car due to taxes and the like. So 3k$ is the same as 8,4k$ here...

May 17, 2013 at 3:20 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:
In my country you have to put 180% on top of the price of a car due to taxes and the like. So 3k$ is the same as 8,4k$ here...

I remember in Jordan, my $7k SUV costed ~$24k in customs taxes.  You're not alone in this bitter world, though you'll need to find a different shoulder to cry on 
size]

Highly off topic XD

May 18, 2013 at 6:16 PM Post #15 of 16
Really funny that you actually have that card. Your card I believe has a direct 1/4" headphone port that is amped. You should not use optical for headphones, you really can't because it is digital not analog. You just plug your headphones right in and the card will take care of everything. The DAC and Amp will be doing their job just fine. If I was you I would buy a used pair of Sennheiser HD650's off ebay or off head fi. I know most people really prefer the HD650 over the 600. As for other brand you can look at the Beyerdynamic DT990. There many good headphones that you can drive yourself crazy on which one is the right one for you. Whatever you get you'll be blown away by the sound. 

Haha I am going crazy trying to pick the right ones. I know there are better ones but I'm trying to stick below the $600 range. I'm sure you're right about being blown away with any of those headphones! I was using my x12 turtle beach headset last night ( I know.....it's not great ) and I was blown out of my mind and damn the sound card upgrade alone made a huge difference. Can't wait to get a legit audiophile headphone :] thanks again for being informative.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back