TOTL DAP's- does the sound quality justify the cost?
Feb 3, 2018 at 5:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Omega139

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I was interested in getting a good DAP audio player. I was wondering if the sound quality of the SP1000 was justified by it's cost, or if you're paying a lot for brand name and interface. Discounting IEM's and speaking from the context of just the DAP, would the SP1000 sound much better than something like the Sony WM1A?

Any input would be appreciated!

Feb 3, 2018 at 8:01 PM Post #5 of 6
I think synergy plays a huge part on this. The WM1Z is warmer sounding than the SP1000, but you need to take advantage of the pentaconn balanced port and with silver cables to make it sound tonally neutral with a hint of warmth. SP1000 is neutral bright when compared to WM1Z so it's best paired with OCC copper instead of silver to make it sound tonally neutral, but YMMV to your ears. Both are excellent sounding and won't make you think that you need an external amp due to lack of drive.

Feb 3, 2018 at 8:38 PM Post #6 of 6
I think synergy plays a huge part on this. The WM1Z is warmer sounding than the SP1000, but you need to take advantage of the pentaconn balanced port and with silver cables to make it sound tonally neutral with a hint of warmth. SP1000 is neutral bright when compared to WM1Z so it's best paired with OCC copper instead of silver to make it sound tonally neutral, but YMMV to your ears. Both are excellent sounding and won't make you think that you need an external amp due to lack of drive.

Hehe thank you for the input. However, I was asking about the WM1A, which runs around 1,000 compared to the SP1000 :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back