Transparent or Warm amps?
Feb 22, 2015 at 12:21 AM Post #3 of 13
The job of an amp is to faithfully amplify the signal, not color the sound. Use selection of headphones and equalization to get more warmth. ...Or just blow your money on a tube amp that essentially functions as an overpriced EQ device.

Feb 22, 2015 at 12:24 AM Post #4 of 13
  The job of an amp is to faithfully amplify the signal, not color the sound. Use selection of headphones and equalization to get more warmth. ...Or just blow your money on a tube amp that essentially functions as an overpriced EQ device.

That might be a bit harsh. LOL  Many well designed tube amps have just as good a FR and SQ as SS amps.

Feb 22, 2015 at 1:59 AM Post #6 of 13
Both have their benefits and I switch back and forth depending on the headphone and my mood... see my profile.

My cleanest, least colored amp is a discrete buffer PPA with OPA627s.
My most heavily colored amp is an earmax OTL with Amperex Holland power tubes and a sylvania gold pin ECC81 driver.

My millet hybrid and DV337 fall somewhere in between.

Honestly lately I have been plugging my cans straight into the 15" Macbook Pro... no amp at all... shrug

Feb 22, 2015 at 10:31 AM Post #7 of 13
The only time I'd say transparent is better for sure is in music production. However, I'd still recommend a transparent amp for it's flexibility. Starting at a neutral sound means you can make it sound bright or warm. Warm amps can only really sound warm. Generally, though, if it sounds good to you, it's better.

Feb 22, 2015 at 7:05 PM Post #8 of 13
As long as people are bringing up terminology, I don't interpret "transparent" as meaning "uncolored."  It means all the detail comes through and the amp puts no veil or fog over the music.  It could still be colored - I would regard that as a non-flat frequency response.

Maybe some would argue with that, but if the amp is a window into the source and that window is perfectly clear as in "transparent," then you see every detail.  There could still be some refractions, reflections, and even tinting, that could be distorting or shaping what you see - but it would still be largely transparent.

Feb 22, 2015 at 11:01 PM Post #9 of 13
  i am not sure which type of amps are better, transparent or warm amps? what do you prefer?

Amplifiers are supposed to amplify the input signal to drive a transducer. There's a reason why they're called "amplifiers" instead of "warmifiers," "warmifier detail defilers," or "brightificator detailifiers."

Feb 23, 2015 at 12:30 AM Post #10 of 13
Tonal balance and transparency are not congruent with each other. Meaning, a warm amplifier can be just as transparent as a bright-sounding amp. This being said, I prefer having amplifiers with varying degrees in overall tonality. If they're not transparent, relatively speaking, I'm not interested at all. FWIW, you can see what I use in my profile.

Feb 23, 2015 at 12:33 AM Post #11 of 13
Amplifiers are supposed to amplify the input signal to drive a transducer. There's a reason why they're called "amplifiers" instead of "warmifiers," "warmifier detail defilers," or "brightificator detailifiers."

In a perfect world, which we have yet to discover, sure.

Feb 23, 2015 at 12:39 AM Post #12 of 13
Transparent is a really harmful word to the hobby.  It's extremely subjective and doesn't really have a set definition.

There's tons of amps out on the market that boast specs that far exceed the audible threshold for acoustic 'transparency,' yet they'll all still sound different.  Both warm and bright amps can sound very clear and articulate and likewise sound like mud.

Feb 23, 2015 at 1:10 AM Post #13 of 13
Just to clarify, of course amps don't all sound the same. Measurements aren't all-encompassing in terms of their performance primarily because when they do measurements of amps they just measure the amps, not the end result coming out of several headphones (that you can compare with other amps on the same headphone measured by the same system), and in most cases, what differences there are are due to distortion, and some amps have different kinds of distortion depending on what difficulty it has driving a given load at a given output level. Basically, when two good amps start to sound different, they're just distorting in different ways.

That said, just because I'm not one to say in absolute terms that all amps sound the same, does not mean that I'm for deliberately going for an amp in order to EQ the sound. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back