TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL HYBRID IEM!*
Aug 13, 2017 at 2:54 AM Post #21,061 of 24,683
Great idea! I just figured that there wasn't enough threading to do that. Before taking them in with me to the hardware store, might you know the size (ID, OD, and thickness) of the fiber washer you used? (If it's no bother!)

Yep, the thing with a nozzle on it and the cable coming out of it (or the MMCX connector on it). I didn't know that the whole thing was called "the shell". But... ok.

Thanks for that info. Even two different (worn "out" over time) custom molded units (one ACS, one Symphonics) for Etymotics doesn't give great isolation. But, with all of the hassles I've had with Trinity, and lousy isolation on a few others, I've given up and won't be going to get another IEM unless absolutely needed -- except the version two of the Plugfones on Kickstarter now. http://kck.st/2vutp9U

The Plugfones are the best isolating ones I've ever encountered... an NRR of 26dB... with their 3 flange ear tips no less! Yes, a rarity in that they've actually done the NRR testing on their earphones and it's very good. May not be the most hi-fi, but I can definitely enjoy watching a movie in a loud restaurant.
Yeah, I just tend to call the whole thing (minus the nozzle) the shell. Honestly no idea what else to call it lol. I feel like it's a relatively common term for it.

It's why I specifically talked about the Supra. It is, to date, the best IEM I've tried for insertion depth and I'm sure if fiddled with in terms of tips, probably one of the best isolating too. I have one in universal shell and I think it goes deeper than my Hyperion does, even though the Hyperion is so small. And unlike customs, you won't lose seal over time due to your ear shape changing to not match up well with your custom molds since universal shells rely on insertion depth + tip shape to maintain a seal. The Supra is top-notch IMO and it happens to be just about the most comfortable IEM I own.

Those Plugfones....I'm not sure necessarily about the ergonomics for my personal use I'm sure the sound quality is probably meh in comparison to the stuff we usually talk about, but absolutely gotta give props to them for the NRR. How many earphone companies (high-end custom ones included) do you know of that actually say their decibel isolation number is NRR? Because I'm not sure I've seen one yet.

Aug 13, 2017 at 3:32 AM Post #21,062 of 24,683
Now, that said, are there any ear tips that are LONG? i.e. an extra 3-5mm or so such that they will help act as if the nozzle was that much longer? Something like that MIGHT help me get a good seal I'm thinking...

The filters for the Vyrus 2 are a bit longer than those for the Master (not sure exactly how much longer) and shares the same threading. Might try to see if you can get them.

Aug 13, 2017 at 2:01 PM Post #21,063 of 24,683
Great idea! I just figured that there wasn't enough threading to do that. Before taking them in with me to the hardware store, might you know the size (ID, OD, and thickness) of the fiber washer you used? (If it's no bother!)

Yep, the thing with a nozzle on it and the cable coming out of it (or the MMCX connector on it). I didn't know that the whole thing was called "the shell". But... ok.

Thanks for that info. Even two different (worn "out" over time) custom molded units (one ACS, one Symphonics) for Etymotics doesn't give great isolation. But, with all of the hassles I've had with Trinity, and lousy isolation on a few others, I've given up and won't be going to get another IEM unless absolutely needed -- except the version two of the Plugfones on Kickstarter now. http://kck.st/2vutp9U

The Plugfones are the best isolating ones I've ever encountered... an NRR of 26dB... with their 3 flange ear tips no less! Yes, a rarity in that they've actually done the NRR testing on their earphones and it's very good. May not be the most hi-fi, but I can definitely enjoy watching a movie in a loud restaurant.
Did the fibre washer mod with the original Atlas Trinity. The only Trinity I own. Your IEM filter threads might be a different size.

Used 3/16 x 3/8. No thickness measurement given. Guessing approx. 1mm. All filters will work with the washer except the silver. Those have a small metal ring already attached to their threads. That may be used to tune that filter. If so, the fiber washer mod may affect tuning.

Bought the fibre washers at Menard's hardware store. Package says Handi - Pack part #87722 3/16 X 3/8 fibre washer. If you can find fibre washers with same hole size, but less outside diameter it would require less trimming. It was easy to trim on grinding wheel.

The filter threads used to be bad about unscrewing. The washer stops that! Hope it works for you. Wish Trinity made 5mm extension tubes for their IEMs. Thread extension tube into IEM. Then thread filter into extension tube.

Aug 13, 2017 at 3:54 PM Post #21,064 of 24,683
2 weeks since the last Air update....Apparently people in the "Small group selected to test" don't have access to the internet or are under NDA, because there's no word of how this next batch of Airs is working anywhere.

Trinity Audio, it's getting more and more difficult to hold off feeling like I've been scammed by you, and the reason you aren't coming through on the PM6 and the Air is because they were KS and IGG purchases, so you could take the money and run.

Aug 13, 2017 at 7:21 PM Post #21,065 of 24,683
2 weeks since the last Air update....Apparently people in the "Small group selected to test" don't have access to the internet or are under NDA, because there's no word of how this next batch of Airs is working anywhere.

Trinity Audio, it's getting more and more difficult to hold off feeling like I've been scammed by you, and the reason you aren't coming through on the PM6 and the Air is because they were KS and IGG purchases, so you could take the money and run.
+1. I'd like to see the Air in my mailbox sometime before I die. That's giving Trinity a bunch of leeway; I'm 23, in good shape, and don't intend to die anytime soon :p. Clock's ticking boys, better get those IEMs shipped out......or at least a goddamn update on what the heck's going on with all this.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2017 at 3:10 AM Post #21,066 of 24,683
They pushed the delievery date from july to august for the Icarus IV and changed

"For all pre-order products that are production ready (pre production) then the specification won't change (unless stated in the product page) however dependant on volume of orders we can go from shipping on time up to as much as 45 days later than the indicated approximate shipping time."

First there was written max. 21 days, if I remember right.
So they changes terms of delivery without telling the customers...

Aug 14, 2017 at 11:08 AM Post #21,073 of 24,683

THX @Intensecure , @Bob A (SD) and I are two of the original pushers of the Techne and ever since my 16 year old got ahold of mine I've never been able to get them back so I just dropped in on Trinity and nabbed a couple:beerchug:

Soul Glow.jpg

Aug 14, 2017 at 12:34 PM Post #21,074 of 24,683
They pushed the delievery date from july to august for the Icarus IV and changed

"For all pre-order products that are production ready (pre production) then the specification won't change (unless stated in the product page) however dependant on volume of orders we can go from shipping on time up to as much as 45 days later than the indicated approximate shipping time."

First there was written max. 21 days, if I remember right.
So they changes terms of delivery without telling the customers...
I always only ever knew of that terms of delivery as stating 45 days. Not sure where you saw the 21 dy thing so if it was that at one point, I definitely missed it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back