Trying to buy a friend for D2000s--dt880 250ohm, pro900, Akg Q701...thoughts?
Mar 27, 2012 at 1:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

DiscoBurger

100+ Head-Fier
So I have been perusing the forums and I'm sorry I'm not sorry that I have to ask, considering my setup (or future setup) and listening preference, what would people recommend as a 2nd can.

So I am currently in the market for a cheap amp, and I have settled on buying either the e7/e9 or the e17/e9 and I also have and love the d2000s. Considering the amps that I will be buying I am not looking into purchasing the 600ohm dt880s because I am worried about under powering them. 

I listen to a lot of electronic music right now, but this is just a phase I crossover into almost every genre and go through periods where I listen from everything from classical to hardcore. having said that I seem to prefer headphones with a heafty bass response (like the d2000s) but for my next pair I would like to get something that sounds less ponderous and muddied in the mids than the d2000s. I know the Ultrasone pro 900s are said to be kind of similar to the d2000s, but with more bass and I was wondering if buying them would be a redundant purchase? If anyone has any suggestions at all as to what kind of cans I should target next I would be very appreciative if you could point me in that direction...Thanks so much.

Mar 27, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #2 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoBurger /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So I am currently in the market for a cheap amp, and I have settled on buying either the e7/e9 or the e17/e9 and I also have and love the d2000s. Considering the amps that I will be buying I am not looking into purchasing the 600ohm dt880s because I am worried about under powering them.

The E9 is enough for the 600 Ohm version; if anything, some people actually do not seem to like the 250 Ohm DT880 with it (for the sound signature, rather than lack of power). But it is not much difference either way. However, based on your genres and other headphone choices, the DT990 may be better, it has more bass and treble.

Mar 27, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #3 of 4
Thanks for your inputs, man, its good to have a bit of guidance. Anybody have any thoughts on the ultrasones as a second to my d2ks? Are they too similar to add to the quiver or should I still be considering them? 

Mar 27, 2012 at 7:42 PM Post #4 of 4

Quote:
Thanks for your inputs, man, its good to have a bit of guidance. Anybody have any thoughts on the ultrasones as a second to my d2ks? Are they too similar to add to the quiver or should I still be considering them? 

Heya,

Ultrasones to my ears have mids that are less than what you're getting with the D2K. That's from using the HFI2400 and PRO900 compared to D2000 and D5000. If you just want bass, Ultrasone can do that. But I find Ultrasone to be too bright and the mids to be distant/metallic/cold. A woman's voice through an Ultrasone is robotic to me.

If you're looking for a mids-centreic headphone without all the bass, something neutral basically, to compliment the Denon D2000, consider the following:

Beyer DT880
Hifiman HE-400
AKG Q701
AudioTechnica AD900

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back