Trying to buy headphones w/o much knowledge
Oct 24, 2012 at 6:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

seamonsterzell

New Head-Fier
I'd appreciate some input and I'm very sorry for my lack of knowledge on this subject. I'm looking to buy some headphones as a gift for my partner. I've been researching  but I still am unsure which would
best suit his need. I thought it might help to sort of explain

He plays electric guitar and bass daily and listens to himself through headphones. He writes and records music. He talks about setting up a studio...someday.  He doesn't need complete noise cancelling but something in that direction (closed-I guess the term is?). His background is sort of old punk and he also likes quieter music as well (like weird space music).

Has really horrible headphones at the moment. He doesn't spend much money on himself.

I'm looking for the best quality under $200.00

So far my research has lead me to consider Audio-Tech ATHM50. But is that just the generic kind recommended everywhere?

I'm sure many upgraded ones will sound good considering where he's coming from.

Thanks if you can offer any suggestions,

Oct 25, 2012 at 6:22 PM Post #2 of 6
The ATH-M50 is an excellent headphone is is ranked in the top 10 here at Head-fi.  I personally own a pair and have compared it to almost 100 other headphones and the ATH-M50 holds it own against those.  They are built really well, have deep impactful bass when the song has it in it, isolate well, and sound pretty neutral making them an ideal start for studio work or general listening.

The one caveat I will supply is that they can clamp a bit at fist, but if you leave them stretched over a full sized tissue box for a few days the tightness goes away.

You can rest assured the ATH-M50 is an excellent headphone at or above $150.

Oct 25, 2012 at 6:33 PM Post #3 of 6
I've never been a very big fan of the ATH-M50's for some reason.  There was a similar thread to this I responded to earlier, although that poster was asking about headphones for jazz.  I own a pair of AKG k271 mk II's that I use plugged in to play instruments and I absolutely love them.  If he likes to sit for long periods with the headphones on while playing guitar these are a great choice.  

I owned the 50's for a while but found they were extremely uncomfortable after a short amount of time.  I never liked the sound very much either.  

If you are looking to go the route of the M50's though you might also consider the Ultrasone HFI 580's.  These are fairly comparable to the M50's, however I like the sound of the Ultrasone's better.  All of these are similar price points, but for my money I thought the comfort & sound of the AKG's was far superior.  Good luck!

Oct 26, 2012 at 12:56 PM Post #4 of 6
Thanks a lot for the responses. I think I am going to go with the M50s. They're so inexpensive right now that I can also get him a pair of earphones for his daily work life.  Either way it probably is a good entry headphone and if he wants to get picky he can go from there.
Thanks so much for your replies.

Oct 26, 2012 at 2:18 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:
Thanks a lot for the responses. I think I am going to go with the M50s. They're so inexpensive right now that I can also get him a pair of earphones for his daily work life.  Either way it probably is a good entry headphone and if he wants to get picky he can go from there.
Thanks so much for your replies.

I think is a good pick as like you said, they are REALLY cheap right now for how nice of a headphone that they are. Just remember you have an option between coiled and strait for the cable and it cant be changed so make sure you order the one you thing your partner would prefer. 

cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back