Trying to find the best super budget IEM(s) to complement my collection (Maybe something neutral/mid-focused?)
Jul 1, 2023 at 12:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

MakeshiftApe

100+ Head-Fier
So I've been tempted to dip my toes into IEMs, as I don't own any (not counting some generic no-name brand that may have come with my phone from 5+ years ago and sound awful). Like many here, I'm the type of person who enjoys switching between headphones for different music or situations. So rather than trying to find an "upgrade" to headphones I like, I try to buy something that complements it or offers something different in sound or presentation.

I want to go for dirt cheap/super budget as cash is tight and my existing headphones do 95% of everything I want my headphones/IEMs to do, so I just want to dip my toes with something cheap, fun, and different.

I currently own the following headphones: AKG K702, Sennheiser HD25 Plus, Creative Aurvana Live!, Sony DR-BTN200.

Although I didn't find one for the DR-BTN200 (which is slightly v-shaped) here's FR graphs for my other headphones:

ff7X8RP.png

So as you can see the CAL! is quite warm sounding, with emphasized bass and recessed upper mids and treble. HD25 is a little v-shaped with a bit more upper bass and treble emphasis, isolation so good who needs ANC anyway?, narrowest soundstage of the lot but great instrument separation that makes it great for mixing and monitoring. The K702 is slightly brighter and has a slight boost to the upper mids, as well as rolled off bass, and of course that lovely wide AKG soundstage.

With that in mind I think the best sound signature/tuning to complement them would be something more neutral, perhaps mid-focused? Bonus points if it has good imaging, since being in-ear I could quickly see these becoming the device I use most often for falling asleep to ASMR.

Currently I'm looking at the Moondrop Chu (FR Graph) for this as it seems like a good option. I did consider the new updated Jiu but I feel like the USB-C cable and increased noise floor would annoy me, and I can always play around with EQ if I want to achieve similar tuning.

I also thought about maybe getting the CCA CRA (FR Graph) alongside the Chu (or some other neutral/mid-focused IEM) since while both my HD25 and CAL! are quite bassy, the sub-bass is the least dominant part of the bass region on both of them, and it'd be fun to have something heavily sub-bass focused.

I was also looking at the Tangzu Wan'er (FR Graph) but they don't look like they'd satisfy the neutral/mid-focused aspect as well as the Chu, or satisfy my inner basshead as well as the CCA CRA, though they might be a good middle-ground if I decide to only buy one pair.

Is there anything else you guys would recommend in the budget range that I should consider - that's either neutral, mid-forward, or a sub-bass dominant bass cannon?

Aside from tuning, a bit of soundstage is nice, but I'm not expecting much of any from IEMs, especially at this budget. Just if there's two similarly tuned options and one has even a tiny bit wider stage, or better imaging, I'll prefer that.

Budget wise I'd prefer dirt cheap budget options in the $20-30 range if possible, maybe a little higher if there's a dramatic improvement in some area.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2023 at 1:29 AM Post #2 of 4
So I've been tempted to dip my toes into IEMs, as I don't own any (not counting some generic no-name brand that may have come with my phone from 5+ years ago and sound awful). Like many here, I'm the type of person who enjoys switching between headphones for different music or situations. So rather than trying to find an "upgrade" to headphones I like, I try to buy something that complements it or offers something different in sound or presentation.

I want to go for dirt cheap/super budget as cash is tight and my existing headphones do 95% of everything I want my headphones/IEMs to do, so I just want to dip my toes with something cheap, fun, and different.

I currently own the following headphones: AKG K702, Sennheiser HD25 Plus, Creative Aurvana Live!, Sony DR-BTN200.

Although I didn't find one for the DR-BTN200 (which is slightly v-shaped) here's FR graphs for my other headphones:

ff7X8RP.png

So as you can see the CAL! is quite warm sounding, with emphasized bass and recessed upper mids and treble. HD25 is a little v-shaped with a bit more upper bass and treble emphasis, isolation so good who needs ANC anyway?, narrowest soundstage of the lot but great instrument separation that makes it great for mixing and monitoring. The K702 is slightly brighter and has a slight boost to the upper mids, as well as rolled off bass, and of course that lovely wide AKG soundstage.

With that in mind I think the best sound signature/tuning to complement them would be something more neutral, perhaps mid-focused? Bonus points if it has good imaging, since being in-ear I could quickly see these becoming the device I use most often for falling asleep to ASMR.

Currently I'm looking at the Moondrop Chu (FR Graph) for this as it seems like a good option. I did consider the new updated Jiu but I feel like the USB-C cable and increased noise floor would annoy me, and I can always play around with EQ if I want to achieve similar tuning.

I also thought about maybe getting the CCA CRA (FR Graph) alongside the Chu (or some other neutral/mid-focused IEM) since while both my HD25 and CAL! are quite bassy, the sub-bass is the least dominant part of the bass region on both of them, and it'd be fun to have something heavily sub-bass focused.

I was also looking at the Tangzu Wan'er (FR Graph) but they don't look like they'd satisfy the neutral/mid-focused aspect as well as the Chu, or satisfy my inner basshead as well as the CCA CRA, though they might be a good middle-ground if I decide to only buy one pair.

Is there anything else you guys would recommend in the budget range that I should consider - that's either neutral, mid-forward, or a sub-bass dominant bass cannon?

Aside from tuning, a bit of soundstage is nice, but I'm not expecting much of any from IEMs, especially at this budget. Just if there's two similarly tuned options and one has even a tiny bit wider stage, or better imaging, I'll prefer that.

Budget wise I'd prefer dirt cheap budget options in the $20-30 range if possible, maybe a little higher if there's a dramatic improvement in some area.

Don't think you can get all your criteria in an IEM for $20.

But if you want something neutral bright (neutral bass), check out the Salnotes Zero.

Bassy, warm and smooth - Tanchjim Tanya (original non DSP version)

Don't think there are many mid-centric IEMs at $20.

Jul 1, 2023 at 2:20 AM Post #3 of 4
Don't think there are many mid-centric IEMs at $20.

What about the Chu that I mentioned? I know it's not exactly mid-centric, more upper mids/lower treble, but as it's upper mids that matter most to me anyway (female vocals), that seems the closest to a mid-focused IEM for that price amongst the options I've looked at due to having less bass and upper treble. I've also heard the Quarks are slightly more mid-focused too but haven't looked into those yet.

& Yeah as for the first comment, I'm not expecting a ton for $20, that's also why I'm thinking of getting two - one more neutral or with slight mid emphasis, and one bass cannon with sub-bass emphasis (since my HD25s and CAL!s have great upper and mid bass respectively, and it's sub-bass I'm still lacking). I'm also not expecting anything that beats or equals any of my current headphones, since it's an entirely different price point - I'm just hoping for a new/different tuning/presentation.

The Salnotes Zero does look nice, it's tempting because I've heard that there's a little soundstage/imaging there (not that I'm expecting much, being an IEM, and at this price-point) which might be nice for the ASMR I mentioned, and it looks like a similar tuning to the Chu just with a tiny bit more bass and maybe less sibilance since 6KHz is reduced - plus it means not being stuck with that one cable that's liable to cause me issues down the line.

Quick question if you've had a chance to listen to the Chu at all - I live in Poland and here the Chu is ~$23 while the Zero is ~$41, do you think it's worth almost double the price? For comparison I could get both the Chu and CCA CRA for $55 including shipping, but if I go with the Zero I'll just be getting the one IEM for now since I'm trying to stay under $60 total spent whether it be on one or two IEMs. If it's worth it though I'll grab the Zero now and then just grab something like the CCA another time (by which time given how rapidly new IEMs are being pumped out there may be an even better option for its purpose)

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2023 at 3:40 AM Post #4 of 4
What about the Chu that I mentioned? I know it's not exactly mid-centric, more upper mids/lower treble, but as it's upper mids that matter most to me anyway (female vocals), that seems the closest to a mid-focused IEM for that price amongst the options I've looked at due to having less bass and upper treble. I've also heard the Quarks are slightly more mid-focused too but haven't looked into those yet.

& Yeah as for the first comment, I'm not expecting a ton for $20, that's also why I'm thinking of getting two - one more neutral or with slight mid emphasis, and one bass cannon with sub-bass emphasis (since my HD25s and CAL!s have great upper and mid bass respectively, and it's sub-bass I'm still lacking). I'm also not expecting anything that beats or equals any of my current headphones, since it's an entirely different price point - I'm just hoping for a new/different tuning/presentation.

The Salnotes Zero does look nice, it's tempting because I've heard that there's a little soundstage/imaging there (not that I'm expecting much, being an IEM, and at this price-point) which might be nice for the ASMR I mentioned, and it looks like a similar tuning to the Chu just with a tiny bit more bass and maybe less sibilance since 6KHz is reduced - plus it means not being stuck with that one cable that's liable to cause me issues down the line.

Quick question if you've had a chance to listen to the Chu at all - I live in Poland and here the Chu is ~$23 while the Zero is ~$41, do you think it's worth almost double the price? For comparison I could get both the Chu and CCA CRA for $55 including shipping, but if I go with the Zero I'll just be getting the one IEM for now since I'm trying to stay under $60 total spent whether it be on one or two IEMs. If it's worth it though I'll grab the Zero now and then just grab something like the CCA another time (by which time given how rapidly new IEMs are being pumped out there may be an even better option for its purpose)

I have both. Would take the Salnotes Zero any day.

Salnotes Zero versus CHU.jpg

Tonally, the two are similar, but the Chu is hotter in the lower treble, with a more nasal and metallic timbre. It is also more sibilant.

Technically, the Chu has slightly worse imaging, instrument separation, and soundstage.

The Chu comes with a non-detachable and very thin cable, which may be a deal-breaker for some. The fit is also more iffy for me.

For the above reasons, even if the Salnotes Zero is a bit pricier, it is an upgrade over the CHU IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back