Trying To Live With A Digital Amp
Sep 18, 2006 at 6:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

wualta

Orthodynamic Supremus
I felt really out of it when I found Panasonic had been selling receivers with digital amps using the Equibit technology (now called PurePath) from TI via a Danish company called Toccata for three years before I found out about them.

http://www.mm.hs-heilbronn.de/gruhle...bit%20risbo%22
http://www.ti.com/corp/docs/press/co...0/c00013.shtml
http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/t...h%20equibit%22

That's a lotta vias. Anyway, the receivers have aged enough to make them affordable on That Auction Site, so why not, how bad could it be, I grabbed a black SA-XR25. Well, lemme tell ya: it's purty cool.

Not literally cool, though. If you were expecting a bloodless pure-puritan-digital amp that runs stone cold, this isn't it. The unventilated (!) case actually gets pretty warm just with headphone listening. For laughs there's a tiny half-dollar-sized cooling fan on the back. It only comes on with continuous high-power use.

The XR25 (sometimes cited on HF as the XR-25) sounds very good indeed, very right there, almost in your face, very sharp-edged, no blurring or softening. Is it better than analog? Well, it's different. I can agree with the many who say it sounds cleaner, but only time and accumulated ear mileage will tell. One peculiarity is that the impedance of the load has, according to the scuttlebutt, the possibility of affecting the frequency response, although not in a major way. The SR-X Mk 3 sounds abso-stinkin'-lutely Kansas flat down to about 200 Hz, then it droops. I was running it with nearly max bass lift and about half that amount of treble droop. The low bass still wasn't there, but what was came over as rock solid (as did the midrange and treble), in a way only the SR-X can do.

That's through the speaker outputs. Plugging a Fostex T50 into the headphone jack revealed something strange: First, dead silence. Then, after pushing PLAY on my CD player (feeding the XR25 optically), there was a rush of hiss (BUT SEE BELOW), audible even on the fairly insensitive T50, even with the volume all the way down. Residual hiss, turned on by the presence of a source, on a digital amp fed digitally. What th--? Apparently this is a problem with these receivers, and until it's fixed or modded, an inline pad (aka volume control) for the headphone out will have to be purchased. But the sound! Best I've ever heard from a headphone output. If only that hiss could be squelched. The T50 really shines. It has plenty of solid bass. If it weren't for a treble spike around 10KHz, it would beat the SR-X for overall sound quality. Even the modded Yamaha YH-1 sounded great with a little treble and bass lift.

Does this mean the XR25 makes things sound... different? Could be. The Fostex T30, which had always been so mellow and bassy, turned slightly.. well, honky. Not at all what I'd been used to before.

The best I can say for the XR25 is that it puts you one step closer to the recording. Notice I didn't say music; this is not what some would call a "musical" amp. Instead, it tends to make CDs sound like what they are, recordings, with mics and preamps and EQ and reverb. Like any good piece of audio gear, it has quirks, and those will take awhile to sort out. I'll come back to this and report on further strangeness. Meanwhile, those of you who have one of the Panasonic receivers tell your stories.

Sep 21, 2006 at 2:45 AM Post #2 of 7
For those who want to flip through it, here's the .pdf of the XR25/45 owner's manual:
http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/SAXR45.PDF

The specs call it a 100 watt/channel amp, but that's at 6 ohms. Given the difficulty of measuring power output on a digital amp, and the modern tendency of mass audio manufacturers to weasel on home theatre specs I decided to fly by the shiny seat of my pants and gut-checked the amp at around 50 "real" watts per channel into 8 ohms. I certainly couldn't get the impact from the Stax SR-X Mk 3 that I could with an analog 200 watt/channel amp, but while you could tell the amp was running out of oomph there was no grittiness or sudden rise in distortion. Best of all, and so unlike past analog HT receivers in this price range, the bass was just as clean and strong as the rest of the frequency range.

If only the EQ stage was more flexible. There's just fixed-corner-frequency bass and treble controls with about a 20dB total range of adjustment for each. No "loudness" switch or bass boost, and no presets ("classical" "jazz" "rock", that sort of thing). And of course if you're in any kind of multichannel mode you lose even that.

I haven't tried it to be certain, but it appears that the XR25 will output a PCM digital stream (to an external CD recorder, say) as it's being fed from an analog source. Interesting.. I wonder what I could use that for.

Anyway. A heck of a stereo amp for less than $100 shipped, plus there's a multichannel home theater receiver thrown in at no extra charge. Beats the heck out of the T-amp for value, though I haven't compared the two for sound quality. Has anyone done that? Not that it would be a fair fight.

Sep 21, 2006 at 2:19 PM Post #3 of 7
Well before I started the HeadFi Journey, I set up a small home theatre setup in my bedroom. Sony 37 plasma, a Samsung DVD, a Gallo 5.1 speaker set and an SA-XR70 (a slightly later model of the one you are discussing) based on 2 factors - very good reviews of the digital amp, and the small size. Very pleased with the sound from this tiny amp.

Have not tried the headphone out.

Sep 23, 2006 at 6:14 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bones13
Have not tried the headphone out.

If you do try it, keep this thread in mind. I'd love to know if they're all molto hissy or just a select few.

Sep 23, 2006 at 6:22 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl
I've long been a fan of digitally addressed PWM. Thanks Wualta.

You're either young or unlike me you've been keeping the faith for 30 years. Frankly, after the failures of the Sony and Infinity digital amps back in the late '70s/ early '80s, I stopped waiting for them to show in the marketplace and totally missed the introduction of the "Panny" XR line. Turns out I fundamentally underestimated the difficulty of the problem, at least at the price levels involved here.

I'm going to investigate what sort of resistors and resistances I'll need to make a speaker-to-headphone-jack adapter and see what it's like using the speaker outs. Nothing like having a 50-watt/ch headphone amp for those inefficient Orthodynamics.

Oct 12, 2006 at 7:11 PM Post #7 of 7
I tried my son's silver XR25, and guess what? No hiss from the headphone jack! Now that's sinister. Not to mention good for him and his Yamaha YH-1 (modded of course).

If anyone can supply clues to this hiss/no-hiss mystery, please come forward. We'll see if we can pin it down to certain serial numbers or colors or whatever.

Serial # of hissy black XR25: GY3BA00####.

Serial # of NONhissy silver XR25: GY3EA00####.

Serial # of NONhissy silver XR25: GY3GA00####. Looks like later ones don't hiss, assuming I've listed them in manufacture date order.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back