TTVJ Millett Portable Hybrid with iMod?
Apr 3, 2010 at 9:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

warp08

Headphoneus Supremus
So, I made a mistake this morning to call Todd at TTVJ Audio and successfully let me talk myself into ordering one of these babies while he patiently listened to my life story...
confused_face.gif

This is after I made the painful decision to put my beloved Shadow up for sale, because I simply could not find a suitable case I could velcro onto the iMod case that would have offered protection. I simply cannot bear to see these amazing electronics get scratched, to me they are works of art.

At any rate, I haven't seen a lot of traffic lately about these and wondering if anyone has had any experience pairing the TTVJ Millet up with the iMod. It would be driving the JH16s, of course
happy_face1.gif

Todd explained that there are only a few left and they won't be making any more of them. I'm excited about hearing the "tube" sound on the 16s and how they compare to my other Super iMod/ALO RX package.

Todd said that these are approximately the same footprint as the Slim, but a bit thicker due to the tubes, which is fine with me. If I don't like the sound, I always have the option of returning it for replacement with a Slim, but hopefully that won't be necessary after I'm warmed up to the sound signature.

What do you guys think?

Apr 3, 2010 at 10:55 PM Post #2 of 10
I had one when they first came out and I thought it sounded very good. The sound was reminiscent of an small, dark, and smoky jazz club. It was perfect for jazz which is what I listen. I would not recommend it for doing exercise since the tubes will ping. Good luck.

Apr 3, 2010 at 11:29 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had one when they first came out and I thought it sounded very good. The sound was reminiscent of an small, dark, and smoky jazz club. It was perfect for jazz which is what I listen. I would not recommend it for doing exercise since the tubes will ping. Good luck.

Thanks, Miquel. That is exactly the kind of signature I'm looking for. I wouldn't dream of using it that way, perhaps while walking. I understand in later production model the pinging was rectified, but I'll test that as well.

Apr 4, 2010 at 1:59 AM Post #5 of 10
I have Todd's TTVJ portable slim, which people say sound even better than the hybrid and I use it for my iMod and JH13s, you should love it, and I sold my Shadow to get this, I think you will be happy with your choice. BTW, I saw your phones on the JHAUDIO page in facebook, nice artwork.

Apr 4, 2010 at 2:16 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeMark /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have Todd's TTVJ portable slim, which people say sound even better than the hybrid and I use it for my iMod and JH13s, you should love it, and I sold my Shadow to get this, I think you will be happy with your choice. BTW, I saw your phones on the JHAUDIO page in facebook, nice artwork.

Thanks, LeeMark. I'm definitely looking forward testing it out. After that, I'll make up my mind and either replace it with a Slim or just buy as Slim in addition to the hybrid.

Being this is a limited edition, it would probably be a keeper, might worth some money later on...
bigsmile_face.gif
just kidding.

Apr 4, 2010 at 6:12 AM Post #7 of 10
I have the iMod and the TTVJ MHP. They are lovely for vocals and simply to die for for Jazz with my JH13s.

Apr 4, 2010 at 8:23 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by jelt2359 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the iMod and the TTVJ MHP. They are lovely for vocals and simply to die for for Jazz with my JH13s.

Thanks, Jelt. I take it the pinging issue has been resolved in later production models?

Apr 5, 2010 at 3:59 PM Post #9 of 10
Not entirely. There are still slight pings.. like when you knock it. This is, after all, still a tube hybrid. That being said, I own another portable tube hybrid (CC TU), and that one sings like nobody's business. This one is probably as silent as a portable tube hybrid is ever going to get, and certainly can be used on the go and not just being transportable.

Apr 5, 2010 at 4:18 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by warp08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks, Jelt. I take it the pinging issue has been resolved in later production models?

Mine was bought in Jan 2010 and no BluTack is included. But it is easy to apply it yourself.

However BluTack would eliminate ringing but just minimize it. Any action that causes the circuit board to vibrate will still cause the tube to ring e.g. tapping on the case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back