Tube Amp Under $200
Nov 30, 2015 at 10:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

deonild

New Head-Fier
Hi All,

Looking for headphone tube amp recommendation, new under $200.  I had picked up the Bravo Audio V2 hybrid tube amp.  It sounded great with the Chinese tube at first listen (maybe pre-burned in?), compared to listening on my cell phone only.  After reading some forums I swapped the tube for a Electro Harmonix tube and even after 30 hours burn in didn't like it as much so tried to put the Chinese tube back and bent the pins, so back to the EH tube.  I then decided to try to upgrade the MOSFETs and solder in better ones, now only 1 side of headphones play, so it is junked.

I was fine with sound quality it was able to produce with the original tube.  It added much fuller sound, more bass and mids but not bass-heavy.  Also adding some of that tube magic and character/texture to the instruments.

I am willing to spend a little more this time than I did for the $70 Bravo Audio amp, I can spend up to $200. I know it will be an 'entry-level' amp in this price range however I plan to use it long term, till someday down the road I can get a couple thousand $$ set up.  My sources are cell phone or laptop.  My headphones are SoundMagic HP150's : 32 ohm, 95 sensitivity, 100mW max input power.

I'm fine with the DIY look and from what I've read the Garage1217 Project Starlight (just under $200 pre-built with shipping) is high quality.  I like the hybrid tube design.  A difference this has over the Bravo Audio is opamp instead of mosfet.  I don't know how this will change the sound.  I know I liked the Bravo Audio at first listen, however I also love the better soundstage my new HP150 headphones gave me and the cheap Bravo Audio seemed to reduce soundstage a bit.  Perhaps these higher quality opamps may provide some better soundstage compared to cheap mosfets?

I'm also looking at HiFiMan EF2C.  This is a hybrid tube amp and also USB-input DAC.  I'm not sure I need the DAC since my mobile devices have DAC's.  My Samsung Galaxy S6 has a wolfson DAC, though I'm sure it's their lowest power model.  My new, cheap Asus laptop sounds better than my 2012 Macbook Pro, though it may be a slightly better amp in the Asus laptop, not sure what DAC it has.  Would HiFiMan EF2C DAC make a big difference, or is DAC in device under $200 probably not much different than DAC in laptop?  Is the HiFiMan EF2C amp better than Project Starlight?  I'm not too concerned about cellphone frequencies because I'm fine with moving the phone further away.  I do like how the HiFiMan looks but reviewers seems to be more excited about Garage1217 amps when reviewing them.  Not sure what may provide more full sound and less soundstage loss or maybe even increasing soundstage experience?

Same with the Aune T1 MK2.  This is in my price range but I'm not sure if I need a DAC in sub-$200 device, would DAC be much better than laptop DAC?  This one has some high reviews and I'm considering it.  However from what I read, without much education in the area, I am thinking Project Starlight, being high quality design and parts put into just the amp function for same price may be a better sound for me, unless DAC could make a big difference for me?

I'd say the Schiit Audio Vali mini hybrid tube amp is on my list.  I hear the extra small tube's microphonic sounds are possibly more of a problem with high sensativity headphones like my 32 ohm phones.  I can imaging it being a problem if moving the headphone cord around a lot causes it to bump and create tube noise easily.  So this is at the bottom of my list but one I wish I could hear as it has some good reviews.

Lastly, I'd say the Little Dot MK2 is on my list.  It's in my price range and seems to be popular item and looks really cool.  However, I hear the build quality is similar to the Bravo Audio which has be worried.  After buying the Bravo Audio V2 I heard some reviews that it has non-fully-grounded electricity that can damage headphones so I was turning it down and unpluging my headphones before turning it on/off....  Is the Little Dot MK2 like that too, being low-cost-primarily-based design?  If it is safe, do you think it would have superior audio to Project Starlight?

I'm wondering if any of these are better specifically for my 32 ohm headphones.  The SoundMagic headphones do seem to take more power than my 40 ohm Sony V55, however I don't want to get an amp where I can only move the volume between 0 and 1.  The Project Starlight seems to be tailored to medium-to-low impedance headphones somewhat.  The HiFiMan has a lower gain switch.  However not sure about the other amps.

Any advice or experience to consider is appreciated.  I'm really not set on what I think I want yet, somewhat considering getting a pocket solid-state amplifier but really leaning more towards tube desktop/home amp. BTW I listen to rock like Tool, Black Sabbath, as well as newer electronic pop like Odesza. Looking for something to enhance highly-textured mids like awesome guitar distortion, and something that can also add to spatial and wide soundstage for electronic highs and bring out the deep lows on my headphones which don't produce lows very noticeably on the cellphone alone.

Thanks!

Dec 1, 2015 at 12:06 AM Post #2 of 4
If I were you, I'd do the T1MK2 or Vali + a used or B-Stock Modi ($80-$90). Getting a DAC, even a simple one, is usually worthwhile.

If you plan on adding a DAC later, go for that nice Starlight :).

Dec 1, 2015 at 12:19 AM Post #3 of 4
I own a Vali and the tube noise isn't that problematic for me. Definitely not as much as noise created by moving the cable; just a little ding that lasts 10-20 seconds when I turn it on sometimes.

Dec 19, 2015 at 6:49 PM Post #4 of 4
I did end up going with the Starlight.  Upon first listen it was not as powerful and immersive sounding as the Bravo Audio V2 and I was a bit worried I might be disappointed.  I wonder if that's a difference that a "Class A" amp like Bravo Audio V2 may have, the mosfet's compared to the Starlight's opamp (which I can swap to try other opamps).  The Starlight at first sounded very similar to my laptops's stock sound.  I swapped the JJ tube it came with for the Electro Harmoix tube and got a little bass and tube sound but still not as impressive at the V2 with it's default Shuguang tube.

I got a 1966 NOS Amperex Bugle Boy 12au7 and with this the Starlight amp very impressive.  Not as much bass as I think the Bravo Audio V2 with Shuguang had, however it's there and has good sound just not extreme bass at any point even if using an equalizer.  However this combo has even better soundstage and detail, and fantastic immersion aspect.  Can sit back, close the eyes and be amused indefinitely.  Amazing detail and even more amazing there's no listening fatigue with this much detail coming through.  I can see myself trying more NOS tubes and some opamps to roll, however this combo is good enough to be content with, which says a lot.

I'll get a DAC at some point, maybe the Schiit Modi.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back