Tube CD Player?
Mar 27, 2013 at 11:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

calipilot227

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey guys, it's been a while since I've started a thread.

As many of you know, I'm a dyed-in-the-wool analog guy. However, I realized a long time ago that some of my favorite music simply isn't available on vinyl, and there's nothing I can do about it. So, I've got to occasionally make due with CD's whether I want to or not.

So here's my question: does anyone have experience with the lower-cost tube CD players from Yaqin or Shanling? The prices and build quality look very good, but I'm a little hesitant to buy an expensive player like that when I can't easily return it. I would be very grateful if anyone can shed some light on these players.

For the record, I will be building a Bottlehead Crack to use with my HD650's and a CD player or my turntable/phonostage. You could say I'm fond of a warm tube sound 
wink.gif

Edit: Considering this one specifically: http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAQIN-SD-30A-12AT7-Vacuum-Valve-Tube-Hi-End-HDCD-CD-Player-New-PUS-/290708863181

Mar 30, 2013 at 7:26 AM Post #2 of 11
Ive heard nothing but good things from the shanling and yaqin players. I have a yaqin tube phono pre and i am impressed with it. The SNR could be a little lower, but it sounds just beautiful. I would say go for it, the specs look great too.

Mar 30, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #3 of 11
You're probably better off getting a CD player you like and then adding a tube buffer.

Mar 30, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #4 of 11
That's the problem. I don't like CD players :veryevil: Somehow, I don't think a tube buffer could miraculously transform the sound of a CDP, wouldn't it be better to add tubes in place of the opamps in the CDP's output stage? If I'm completely delusional (not entirely out of the question), please let me know.

Mar 30, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #5 of 11
Get yourself a CD player with an apodizing filter and you'll have less digital glare due to decreased ringing.  Then, add a tube buffer if you still feel the need.

Or, get a good DAC and use the CD player as the transport.

If you couldn't tell already, I'm not a fan of tube CD players.  There are better options out there to color the sound the way you like it.

Mar 30, 2013 at 9:51 PM Post #6 of 11
For less than the price of that CD player you listed, you can get the V-DAC II.  Feed it with any CD or DVD player in the world.  The DAC is very nice and smooth.  It has vinyl like qualities, which you may like since you use a turntable. 

Apr 2, 2013 at 4:15 PM Post #7 of 11
I just bought a player with tube output stage. Although it is not one of the kind you want information about, I discovered something unexpected that is worth mentioning.

It is the sound of overcompressed music (you get that everywhere nowadays). One of the examples is Lana del Reys Born to Die (Nomen est Omen), another one Jimi Hendrix Woodstock live recording. I like the music a lot but on my old player it sounded really bad, because there is so much clipping.

In the tube driven player the bad sound that indicates clipping is simply gone.

So why is that? I have a laymans explanation for that. Tubes distort much gentler. If overdriven, a tube amplification curve deviates a bit from linearity, while a transistor goes nuts much faster. Combined with a tube driven headphone amp, Lana del Rey sounds quite listenable. And there is no coloration, if the circuits are well designed.

It should not be the driver to buy tubes so you can listen to crappy recordings, but it is a nice discovery. And good recordings sound great too, btw.
Otoh, you should get that effect also with a tube driven dac, like the musical fidelity x-dac v8, for example.
I also have to agree with hodgjy about the v-dac. That is a very good dac for the money. I used the v1 for years and it is really hard to beat.

Apr 2, 2013 at 6:51 PM Post #8 of 11
I'm a huge fan of tube CDPs but a nice tube buffer could do the trick as well. I've been considering an Ayon CDP since hearing one a year ago in a good system. Most wonderful Violin I've ever heard. It really captured me.

Apr 2, 2013 at 8:04 PM Post #9 of 11
I'm a big fan of CD players with "true" tube-based analog output stages. I've had great luck with Modwright-modded players - expensive, but worth every penny, imo.

Tube buffers can provide anywhere from modest to quite significant sonic gains, depending on the CD player, especially for the cost.

All that being said, I'd inject only one new component into your system at a time. Get that Bottlehead done & burned-in to get a handle on how it affects your overall sound. Then you can think about a new source, tubed or not.

Apr 2, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #10 of 11
Thanks for the advice. I actually just picked up a Sony SCD-CE595 for practically nothing, so I'll break it out and see what it can do. I remember it was FOTM on here a while back, time to see how it actually sounds. Considering the Tube Research Labs mod also, people seem to like it.

Apr 5, 2013 at 7:23 AM Post #11 of 11
I'm actually using the Yaqin SD-32A CD player. I got these since they're pretty cheap and I just need one to read my CDs when I decide to actually be bothered to listen to my CDs....However, I connect my CD player to my Yulong D100 DAC and use it as a transport. As a result, there's really not much difference between USB and the CD player in terms of sound. There is an extra hint of warmth and smoothness from the CD player. I tried using the direct tube out once I think (long time back). The results weren't especially satisfying. There is a tubey sound alright, but I value the quality and details of my music more than a tubey sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back