Turntable and Desktop Amp/DAC choice.
Jul 23, 2016 at 7:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

skillfulperson

New Head-Fier
Hey all, 

I'm currently in the middle of making a shopping list for my first Hifi/ turntable system. 

For a turntable, I'm trying to decide between an Audio Technica LP120 or a Teac TN-300, mainly because of the high number of features such as Anti-Skate, removable headshells, and built in Phono Amps. Currently swaying towards the LP120 as it also has a built-in Line level amp, and I've seen a few mods allowing for the bypass of the phono amp, and it would be a good starting point. I would love to hear recommendations for a similar price point / feature set. 

Additionally I have been looking at DACs/Amps, with an idea to connect my computer to a DAC via its optical out from the motherboard, then have both the computer signal(From the DAC) and the turntable into one amp, with a hope to use my current speakers (Harmon Kardon soundsticks II) as a starting point, and my Sennheiser HD 558s interchangeably. I understand the Soundsticks won't benefit much from the Amp as they are powered, but I would like the convenience to have them connected to two devices (PC and Turntable)

I've not managed to find many such devices that would be able to do this task. I found the Maverick Audio Tubemagic Plus D1, which appears to have all the inputs and outputs I want and more, but I'm not sure if this is the correct type of device I need. Such as what level of analogue In does it take. Would this do the job, and make an improvement over the build in Line amp in the LP120?

I was wondering if anyone would like to give thoughts. and like to give any recommendations to any other device(s) with the feature set I want, with an around £250 ($300) price point for the DAC/AMP combo. 

Thanks 

Jul 23, 2016 at 9:29 AM Post #2 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by skillfulperson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm currently in the middle of making a shopping list for my first Hifi/ turntable system. 

For a turntable, I'm trying to decide between an Audio Technica LP120 or a Teac TN-300, mainly because of the high number of features such as Anti-Skate, removable headshells, and built in Phono Amps. Currently swaying towards the LP120 as it also has a built-in Line level amp, and I've seen a few mods allowing for the bypass of the phono amp, and it would be a good starting point. I would love to hear recommendations for a similar price point / feature set. 

Additionally I have been looking at DACs/Amps, with an idea to connect my computer to a DAC via its optical out from the motherboard, then have both the computer signal(From the DAC) and the turntable into one amp, with a hope to use my current speakers (Harmon Kardon soundsticks II) as a starting point, and my Sennheiser HD 558s interchangeably. I understand the Soundsticks won't benefit much from the Amp as they are powered, but I would like the convenience to have them connected to two devices (PC and Turntable)

You don't hook up the soundsticks to the amplifier output, whether it's a speaker amp or a headphone amp output. You hook it up to the preamplifier output, which only controls the volume. Even if it has its own volume knob, in most cases this kind of set-up is used to control two symmetrical powered speakers like studio monitors (ie each speaker unit has its own amplifier and gain control/s), making it more convenient with just one knob to fiddle with, and alternately even when there is only one control on some powered speakers (like the Audioengine A5) this is done to put the control knob closer to the user's hand.

Quote:
I've not managed to find many such devices that would be able to do this task. I found the Maverick Audio Tubemagic Plus D1, which appears to have all the inputs and outputs I want and more, but I'm not sure if this is the correct type of device I need. Such as what level of analogue In does it take. 

I was wondering if anyone would like to give thoughts. and like to give any recommendations to any other device(s) with the feature set I want, with an around £250 ($300) price point for the DAC/AMP combo. 

For that kind of money you don't really have other options. Even individual Schiit units would be around the same price (Modi2, Sys, Magni2 Uber).

Quote:
Would this do the job, and make an improvement over the build in Line amp in the LP120?

You can't use the LP120 bypassing its line stage/phono preamp to hook up to the Maverick D1 - its analogue input is not a phono line stage preamp circuit. A line stage/phono pre, whether built into the TT or as a separate unit, functions pretty much like the discrete or op-amp analogue preamp stage on a CD Player or DAC.

Jul 23, 2016 at 10:34 AM Post #3 of 4
Thanks for your reply.

Quote:
You don't hook up the soundsticks to the amplifier output, whether it's a speaker amp or a headphone amp output. You hook it up to the preamplifier output, which only controls the volume. Even if it has its own volume knob, in most cases this kind of set-up is used to control two symmetrical powered speakers like studio monitors (ie each speaker unit has its own amplifier and gain control/s), making it more convenient with just one knob to fiddle with, and alternately even when there is only one control on some powered speakers (like the Audioengine A5) this is done to put the control knob closer to the user's hand.

Yeah, thanks for confirming that for me, i would have connected it to the Tube pre out on the D1. I just meant to have it plugged into the D1 for example for convenience sake. Am I right in thinking if an amplifier has an Analogue out, it would be suitable for this use?

For that kind of money you don't really have other options. Even individual Schiit units would be around the same price (Modi2, Sys, Magni2 Uber).

Yeah ive looked at them, they seem to be my best bet now. Would I be able to use an RCA splitter to use the Magni with the Modi and my turntable to achieve what i want. Then use my soundsticks with the Analogue out?

You can't use the LP120 bypassing its line stage/phono preamp to hook up to the Maverick D1 - its analogue input is not a phono line stage preamp circuit. A line stage/phono pre, whether built into the TT or as a separate unit, functions pretty much like the discrete or op-amp analogue preamp stage on a CD Player or DAC.

ahh, I wasn't even aware that there was a difference between the two, i presumed the D1 was an Amp too. Thank you so much for all your help, im such a beginner at all of this, and still wrapping my head around all the terminology and variables
confused_face.gif

Jul 23, 2016 at 12:08 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Yeah, thanks for confirming that for me, i would have connected it to the Tube pre out on the D1. I just meant to have it plugged into the D1 for example for convenience sake. Am I right in thinking if an amplifier has an Analogue out, it would be suitable for this use?

More specifically a preamp output or a line output (no volume control from the amp). Note that in some amplifiers the latter term is used but it does have preamp control, so check the specs carefully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillfulperson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah ive looked at them, they seem to be my best bet now. Would I be able to use an RCA splitter to use the Magni with the Modi and my turntable to achieve what i want. Then use my soundsticks with the Analogue out?

The problem is where you hook up the TT. The Magni2Uber has only one pair of inputs, which will be taken up by the Modi2. You'll need to use the Sys - plug in the TT and Modi to it and then hook up its output to the Magni.

Also for what you need you can't get the regular Magni2, it has to be the Uber version, as the regular version has no preamplifier or any other kind of output besides the headphone out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillfulperson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ahh, I wasn't even aware that there was a difference between the two, i presumed the D1 was an Amp too. 

The D1 is a DAC that has a headphone amplifier. The analogue input is not a phono preamp either, but note that some larger integrated amplifiers used for speakers do not just have plain labels on the multiple inputs to distinguish each input as some have an actual phono linestage preamp circuit on the Phono Input. That means you can only hook up a TT without any other line stage unit to that input, and also you still need to check for the cartridge specs - some phono linestage circuits only work with either MM or MC cartridges.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back