Turntable Buzz Issue
Dec 31, 2013 at 11:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

pevsfreedom

100+ Head-Fier
So I've got some issues here that maybe you guys can help with,

For one, I have a Tekniks 1200 and a Yaqin MS-22b MKII Tube Pre-Amp with Tung-sol tubes. 

The issue is that for one I get a differing level of "buzz" which I have determined to be from the white phono plug from the turntable to be 'loose'. If I mess around with it I can make it buzz extremely bad.

If I plug that in and make it so there's no buzz, it's silent. As soon as I plug the red phono in from the TT (to the pre-amp) I get a pretty mild 'hum' sound. This also happens if I unplug the white and plug the red phono into the red OR white on the pre-amp. I can't make this sound not exist if the red is plugged in. Anybody have a clue what's going on here? I'm thinking it's the cables from the Tekniks. Could the pre-amp be at fault? 

The grounding is from the Tekniks little hook to the pre-amp to a power surge outlet to the wall (which I opened up and has a ground wire in it, I'm an electrician so don't yell at me! 
smile.gif
)

Jan 2, 2014 at 9:25 PM Post #2 of 5
Hi,

I would look at the ground from the SL1200, is the cable in good condition, connection contact properly etc. Also, make sure that the connections from the cartridge are connected and not loose or in incorrect order.

Hope it helps !

Jan 3, 2014 at 1:45 PM Post #3 of 5
You will want to replace those RCA's. If one is intermittent and the other has a hum or buzz, they too carry a signal ground.

You can get information on the net on replacing cables on a SL1200 or you can go here and get the service manual
http://www.vinylengine.com/library/technics/sl-1200.shtml

You have to join but the manuals are free...

Jan 6, 2014 at 6:09 AM Post #4 of 5
Before you take a risk by attempting a DIY mod on your Tehnics wiring I'd try to test the phono pre amp.

Technics have an excellent reputation for reliability. No brand, eBay only, cheap knock offs of ancient designs do not.

Can you borrow a known working phono pre amp, small DJ mixer or amp with built in phono stage?

Otherwise.......

There are alternatives but the ART DJ Pre II has an excellent reputation and only costs $45. You can get even cheaper ones from Maplins or Radio Shack. If the problem turns out not to be pre amp ground loop related then either send it back for a refund or keep it for when you want to do some critical listening rather than a fun experiment with obsolete gear. 

Jan 6, 2014 at 9:58 AM Post #5 of 5
  Before you take a risk by attempting a DIY mod on your Tehnics wiring I'd try to test the phono pre amp.

Technics have an excellent reputation for reliability. No brand, eBay only, cheap knock offs of ancient designs do not.

Can you borrow a known working phono pre amp, small DJ mixer or amp with built in phono stage?

Otherwise.......

There are alternatives but the ART DJ Pre II has an excellent reputation and only costs $45. You can get even cheaper ones from Maplins or Radio Shack. If the problem turns out not to be pre amp ground loop related then either send it back for a refund or keep it for when you want to do some critical listening rather than a fun experiment with obsolete gear. 

While I agree you would want to check to be sure the phono stage is okay....I don't agree on the shameless plug and fanboy comment on the SL1200. It is a good table, but wars have started over that "this is THE" table attitude. How about we just address the ISSUE ?

And the only OBSOLETE gear he owns is the Technics..The Yaqin is a NEW product. and also HIGHLY regarded.

REALLY REALLY REALLY ...if you don't understand things, please don't post. A newbie asks a question and gets sent in 7 different directions with bad info. He said what equipment he has. We know that the issue is either at the RCA plus or the input jacks on the Yaqin but if he bends the wire at the RCA plug it works intermittently. SO most likely the plugs.

Some really good advice that costs nothing to TRY ? Use a Digital Multi Meter

Set it to do a continuity test where it will do a tone (or display)

Test each side from the cartridge leads to the RCA ends (take the leads OFF the cart to do this)

Test Red wire on the headshell end to the center post of the RED RCA
Test the green wire on the headshell to the outer ring of the RED RCA
Test the WHite wire on the headshell to the center post of the WHITE RCA
Test the BLUE wire on the headshell to the outer post to the outer ring for the WHITE RCA

That is to see you have continuity all the way through. If one doesn't work or is intermittent,. you know your cables are bad.

As to the buzz, there are a variety of things including bad cables, bad ground wire, noise on your AC power...

But address the wires and their continuity first

Also to the OP electrician, Did I read you right that you carried the GROUND past the Yaqin to the AC strip ? No NO NO

Turntable ground to Yagin ground. Period. If you used an amp with a phono built in, then its TT ground to amp ground...AND THATS it ..Bad boy...Electrician yes, TT ground guru..NO...LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back