Two Big News! FiiO's New Dynamic Driver IEMs JD7 Is Coming! With BTR5, FH9, M11 Plus and M17 Joining the AliExpress 11·11 Sale!
Nov 11, 2022 at 8:03 PM Post #18 of 35
I got the FH5S on the 11.11 sale and I am loving how they sound. The dual dynamic drivers make them very nice and warm sounding headphones with far better crossover transition that other IEMs with only a single dyn driver in the low before switching to BAs. I think this is not only my favorite IEM under $200 now, but one of my top 3 of all my IEMs now. The warmness and smoothness without sacrificing treble detail is just perfect.
My one complaint is that the nozzle doesnt stick as far down into my ear as Id wish. It would be nice if it was 2-3mm longer. May not sound like much, but it does make a difference.

I just wish you started making them and other models in .78 pin connections. This is my first MMCX and I definitely see why so many hate them. This connection is awful.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2022 at 10:01 AM Post #19 of 35
jd7.png

JD7 vs FD7
Jd7 may be a better choice for pop music

Last edited:
FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Nov 15, 2022 at 5:35 PM Post #21 of 35
Nov 15, 2022 at 6:44 PM Post #23 of 35
JD7vsFD7.jpg

JD7 vs FD7, aligned at 1kHz.

Key differences in real-life listening (with Topping G5, listening at a comfortable volume where vocal is clear and nothing too loud)
  • FD7 has a stronger sense of "wall of sound". Its bass is "snappier" and feels more punchy than JD7. Treble is also more forward than the graph suggests. Why? Because of the effect of the equal loudness curve. Due to the pull back at 3kHz, I need to turn the volume up a bit higher for the vocal to pop out. As a result, bass and treble becomes louder.
  • Due to the Harman-ish tuning, JD7 has more "gap" in the soundstage, if it makes any sense to you. Like the vocal is up front, and then there is a dip, and then bass and treble. Everything seems have more space, more up and down, rather than equally loud like FD7.
  • Pure resolution of FD7 is better than JD7. However, due to the way JD7 is tuned, it's very easy to hear midrange micro details, so at a glance, JD7 might seem to match or even exceed the resolution of FD7.
  • Treble resolution is noticeably better on FD7, without a doubt.
Key differences against other "well-tuned" IEMs (think of Moondrop stuffs):
  • JD7 does not have that slight shoutiness of Blessing 2 due to the rounded off 3kHz
  • No strident or harshness in vocal with JD7 due to the slightly subdued 5kHz
  • Dynamic and soundstage depth are noticeably better than Blessing 2 with Topping G5.

In general, I think JD7 is a surprise and a big win for folks who wants "well-tuned" or "Harman-ish" IEM without sacrificing soundstage depth and dynamic. However, I have strong doubt that this IEM would make a wave, since even Fiio does not seem to want to promote it and some famous reviewers seem to already made up their mind that Fiio does not know how to tune IEM beyond mediocre.

A photo from my upcoming review (btw, that's not the stock cable. That's a brand new LC-RC cable that I bought with my own money after listening to JD7)
P1010050.JPG

Attachments

• JD7-FD7.jpg
    JD7-FD7.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 16, 2022 at 4:37 PM Post #25 of 35
What about the bass quantity of the jd7 ? Do you recommend it for bass genres like EDM ?

Subbass of this set kicks harder than my FD5, so I have great time listening to mainstream bassy stuffs (think of despacito) and some memes like coffin dance remixes. To me, its bass is 4/5 (good). It just lacks that last bit of finesse of something like FD7 or Zen Pro, or the absolute thunderous bass of a fully powered E5000.

Nov 17, 2022 at 4:20 PM Post #27 of 35
I got the FH5S on the 11.11 sale and I am loving how they sound. The dual dynamic drivers make them very nice and warm sounding headphones with far better crossover transition that other IEMs with only a single dyn driver in the low before switching to BAs. I think this is not only my favorite IEM under $200 now, but one of my top 3 of all my IEMs now. The warmness and smoothness without sacrificing treble detail is just perfect.
My one complaint is that the nozzle doesnt stick as far down into my ear as Id wish. It would be nice if it was 2-3mm longer. May not sound like much, but it does make a difference.

I just wish you started making them and other models in .78 pin connections. This is my first MMCX and I definitely see why so many hate them. This connection is awful.
You might be better served by pairing SpinFit W1 tips or SednaEarfit Crystal tips; both of those are grippier and should make up for the shorter nozzle.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2022 at 3:38 AM Post #29 of 35
Hi folks,

My JD7 review is finally done.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/fiio-jd7-dynamic-driver-iems.26182/reviews#review-29590
Every IEM collection should have an all-rounder who does everything at a high level. Despite my little expectation for yet another Harman-tuned IEM, JD7 challenged many of my prenotions. It earned the spot of the all-rounder in my collection. My final conclusion about JD7? Seal of approval and recommendation without reservation.

Pros
:
  • Smooth tuning with excellent balance between bass, mid, and treble
  • Realistic and enjoyable timbre
  • Very good midrange tonality, transparency, and detail
  • Open, airy, and 3D soundstage imaging
  • Good percussion rendering
  • Easy to drive
Cons:
  • The stock cable cheapens the look and usability of the set
  • No standout feature or characteristics
JD7-summary.JPG