two questions regarding iems and occlusion.
Jan 22, 2014 at 2:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Eudoxa

New Head-Fier
Hello,
Two questions:
Firstly,
To those with ciems, do you have long enough stems to eliminate the occlusion effect?  and do you care that you do or don't?

Secondly,
Does anyone know of any of any custom ear tip or whole ciem manufacturers who specifically craft their product to eliminate occlusion?

Thirdly,
are there any universal iem tips that are supposed to pass the bony structure of the ear (where occlusions becomes reduced)? 

/* The background info (optional): */
    I bought an er4p and was messing around with the tips and discovered that there was one partiular tip (the frost tips) that actually are small enough to just narrowlly (with some pain) pass the bony structure of the ear to eliminate occlusion.  It hit me at that point that problems I've had all this time with iems is with occlusion, and that I haven't had one tip nor iem be without occlusion; not even my ciem comes close.

regarding my ciem, the manufacturers claim that they specifically cut it short so as to keep issues regarding fitting down; that's standard practice for them.  I'm going to try asking them if they make longer stems.  My ear moulds were definitely long enough to eliminate occlusion and I believe the doctor said it's "past the second bend"?

All this time I thought I was just "supposed to get used to it" as everybody had said.  However, I've recently searched through head-fi again and found some people explaining occlusion and that ciems can help reduce that.  So now I need some guidance.

/* Miscellaneous info: */
  I know the difference between cable noise and occlusion, I'm talking about occlusion.

A big thank you to anyone who can provide information regarding iems, ciems and occlusion :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back