UE-11 Pro vs. Shure SE846 / Isolation vs. Signature
Mar 27, 2019 at 8:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

thmmax

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

some of you might have seen my posts in the Sensaphonics Custom Sleeves thread – I bought a pair of SE846 a few weeks ago and was expecting to get a perfect combination with the Sensaphonics sleeves. However, the sleeves did not work for me as my ears were too small to get the sleeves + the rather big body of the SE846 in...

The whole process was kind of a hassle and left me a little disappointed with my new SE846. As I frequently use my IEMs in noisy environments, isolation is a big deal for me. I've been quite happy with the Shure olives before, but still decided to get a demo of generic UE-11 Pros.

I've tested both IEMs thoroughly and can honestly say that there's not too much difference...they both sound superb! IMHO the SE846 added a little more excitement to my music (not sure how to put it, just the typical Shure sound signature)...they really blew me away! The UE-11 Pro, in contrast, sometimes sounded a little "flat" and did not have that tiny extra sparkle...

I've felt the same across all kinds of devices and musical genres, but it's probably just a personal thing (I've been using Shure for years). I also need to mention that I'm not using the IEMs as a reference/for any critical purpose, I just like to enjoy my music. :)

Right now I'm deciding whether to go for my favorite sound signature (SE846) or to sell the 846 and go for the perfect isolation (UE-11 Pro). They both sound stellar, are built well and have about the same price tag (considering the custom Sensaphonics sleeves).

I've been considering a lot of pros and cons (including longterm comfort and resell value) but still can't decide...
Has anyone had a similar experience? Did you choose the UIEM or the CIEM in the end?

Thank you so much for your help! This is a really tough decision...
Max

P.S.: I've had a look at other CIEM manufacturers like JH Audio, but UEs are basically the only ones with service partners in my area...

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2019 at 10:47 PM Post #2 of 16
SE846 are rather large for some ears, look into W60 by westone or even smaller W80.. They should really help you with comfort...I done as much as 18 hours listening (long flight and layover)

Mar 28, 2019 at 2:53 PM Post #4 of 16
Have you considered finding the UE model you like, and then get the custom version of it made by UE? You can't get a better fit than a CIEM, I own the UERR customs and they are so comfortable that I sometimes forgot they're there. I moved on to a Noble custom last year, but the three years I wore the UERR exclusively were blissful. My ears are a bit weird, so I can't wear universals for extended periods of time, it's custom or bust for me.

Mar 28, 2019 at 3:12 PM Post #5 of 16
@hotdog108 thanks for your reply as well! I've tested the UERRs some time ago and right now I'm testing the generic UE-11 Pros. I just love the Shure sound signature, but as I wrote the difference is rather small and might be compensated by the isolation of the UEs...it's a really though decision :gs1000smile:

Mar 28, 2019 at 3:17 PM Post #6 of 16
@hotdog108 thanks for your reply as well! I've tested the UERRs some time ago and right now I'm testing the generic UE-11 Pros. I just love the Shure sound signature, but as I wrote the difference is rather small and might be compensated by the isolation of the UEs...it's a really though decision :gs1000smile:
I was just using UERR as an example, if you have a UE dealer in your area, go try every model they have, then you can get the one you like the most custom made. Although I must warn you, it's a path of no return. I've already taken one friend down that path, and she's never going back to universals, no matter how good they sound.

Mar 28, 2019 at 3:23 PM Post #8 of 16
I've heard that from a lot of people haha :dt880smile: Maybe I'll go down that path as well...guess I need to do some more testing...
Best way to do this is, CanJam of course. If you can attend one near you, they have show discounts, often making hundreds of dollars in difference. Most vendors will do free ear impressions at the show as well, so you save even more money. Best part is, you get to listen to pretty much everything there is out there, then make your choice based on your personal preference, instead of being limited to dealer proximity.

Jul 3, 2020 at 11:42 AM Post #11 of 16
Hi!!

How have you been getting on wiht the UE11 Pro. I'm thinking about the UE11 pro, but havent demo'd either of them! Any advice you can provide?

Jul 4, 2020 at 7:53 AM Post #12 of 16
Hey @Edyeded86,

well...it's been a little over a year since I decided to go with the UE11 Pros and sell the SE846 and I'm still not sure if that was the right decision! I absolutely loved the sound of the Shure IEMs...the UEs are close, but not quite the same for me. When it comes to isolation, the foam tips of the SE846 were actually better than the UEs. Plus: I've spent 7 months (!!) to get the right fit on my right CIEM. The left one was perfect from the beginning, but the right one was first too tight, then too loose and so on. I'm still not 100% happy but decided to stop sending them to the US (turnaround is between 6 and 8 weeks from Austria). However, I really like the look and the feeling of the UEs, they are just incredibly cool to wear and I can leave them in for hours. So yeah, it's really difficult to say...

If you like the Shure sound signature and use the IEMs in noisy environments with low-level music, you might want to get the SE846. In my experience, the isolation on the UEs only starts to work at a certain volume (but, as I said before, the fit of my right CIEM is not perfect and might be the reason...I get a seal on both sides but the right side is just not as tight and I can hear voices from other passengers on the bus for example, which never happened with the SE846).

Try to get a generic demo model of the UE11 at your local UE partner! I'm based in Austria and the local dealer had a demo model in stock. Also be prepared to spend some time sending them to the US for adjustments if you're not based there.

Hope this helps...happy to answer any further questions :)

Max

Jul 4, 2020 at 9:40 AM Post #13 of 16
Hey @Edyeded86,

well...it's been a little over a year since I decided to go with the UE11 Pros and sell the SE846 and I'm still not sure if that was the right decision! I absolutely loved the sound of the Shure IEMs...the UEs are close, but not quite the same for me. When it comes to isolation, the foam tips of the SE846 were actually better than the UEs. Plus: I've spent 7 months (!!) to get the right fit on my right CIEM. The left one was perfect from the beginning, but the right one was first too tight, then too loose and so on. I'm still not 100% happy but decided to stop sending them to the US (turnaround is between 6 and 8 weeks from Austria). However, I really like the look and the feeling of the UEs, they are just incredibly cool to wear and I can leave them in for hours. So yeah, it's really difficult to say...

If you like the Shure sound signature and use the IEMs in noisy environments with low-level music, you might want to get the SE846. In my experience, the isolation on the UEs only starts to work at a certain volume (but, as I said before, the fit of my right CIEM is not perfect and might be the reason...I get a seal on both sides but the right side is just not as tight and I can hear voices from other passengers on the bus for example, which never happened with the SE846).

Try to get a generic demo model of the UE11 at your local UE partner! I'm based in Austria and the local dealer had a demo model in stock. Also be prepared to spend some time sending them to the US for adjustments if you're not based there.

Hope this helps...happy to answer any further questions :)

Max
Hi max,

Thanks - this is really useful.

I'm going to take my time in deciding, I think. They're both expensive units and I don't want to feel like I've made a wrong decision.

I think I'm going to start with budget earphones and work my way up. Hopefully, I'll know what sound signatures I like!

What source do you use for your music at the moment?

Jul 4, 2020 at 9:51 AM Post #14 of 16
Hi!

Happy to help :) I'd really recommend the Shure SE215 to start with, I've used them for years and they are incredible (and just around a 100 bucks). I use an iBasso DX90 as a source right now, but as far as I know it's no longer produced (you might find it on eBay, but there are a lot of new devices coming out all the time) :)

Max

Jul 4, 2020 at 9:59 AM Post #15 of 16
Hi!

Happy to help :) I'd really recommend the Shure SE215 to start with, I've used them for years and they are incredible (and just around a 100 bucks). I use an iBasso DX90 as a source right now, but as far as I know it's no longer produced (you might find it on eBay, but there are a lot of new devices coming out all the time) :)

Max
Ah, great. Will probably look at AK70 as a source as it supports it supports tidal.

Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back