Uh oh, KSC-35's falling apart!!
Jan 31, 2006 at 8:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

The_X

1000+ Head-Fier
So I've owned my KSC-35's for only a month or so, and they're already falling apart on me. On both ears, the little "stub" that holds the driver enclosure to the clip is coming very loose, because the plastic they used there is so thin. Any idea what my best course of action would be? Maybe I could glue the enclosure on, but then I'd lose the range of motion that lets the 35 fit to against my ears so well. If I sent them to Koss, do you think they'd be able to fix the plastic? Or would they just send me a pair of 75's?

GRR. This is annoying.

Jan 31, 2006 at 8:25 PM Post #2 of 11
NAIL POLISH!

Yep, you coat that nub with a few coats of polish, and you're done! it isn't like glue, so you'll still get rotation on your clips, but it increases the diameter of your stub so the clip will pop on there and stay on there better (not saying like new, since polish isn't hard plastic after all, but it WILL stay on there better).

One of my clips is like that since my kid was too eager grabbing my KSC-35s from me and popped one off and shaved off a bit of a nub, but polish keeps it on there unless it gets some not nice lifting pressure on it, in which case it will still pop off quicker than the other one. but once it's on the head, it does not pop off, nor does it pop off during normal movements of putting it on and off the ear.

that said, ultimately this can will be replaced by the Grado Streetstyles. hurry up Grado, my KSC-35 is on its last legs already thanks to my kiddo!

Jan 31, 2006 at 8:27 PM Post #3 of 11
Mine are falling apart as well and the jack doesn't work properly in my 40G iPod, clicks and pops for some reason but was working fine in my Shuffle. KSC75's built and work much better. Not sure I would waste postage on sending them back to Koss. What will they give me in return? The 35's are no longer made.

Jan 31, 2006 at 8:48 PM Post #4 of 11
Thanks for the suggestion Jahn, I'll try that later. Anything to keep my 35's intact! I agree that the KSC-35 build quality sucks, I just really like the look compared to the KSC-75. I actually like the sound of the 75 more as well, I just don't like the cheap-looking silver color. I might try just coloring in my 75's with a Sharpie and see how they look.

jimmyjames, I think Koss will send you back a pair of 75's if you send your 35's to get fixed.

Jan 31, 2006 at 9:17 PM Post #5 of 11
i don't know what the policy is now, but back when the ksc35's were still available on koss' website, if you asked nicely, they would replace your ksc35's with ksc35's and not ksc75's.

Jan 31, 2006 at 9:29 PM Post #6 of 11
Mine fell apart.

The clip on one of them got really loose, and came off often. Then I lost it. I really miss them.

Jan 31, 2006 at 10:23 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_X
jimmyjames, I think Koss will send you back a pair of 75's if you send your 35's to get fixed.

NO! I mailed in one of my KSC-35s to Koss (on Jan 19th,) just the earphones in a bubble wrapped interrior envelope (with no foam pads on the earphones.)

Koss sent me back (postmarked Jan 25, I recieved it on Jan 28th) brand new Koss KSC-35s with warranty card, brand new leather drawstring pouch, and with new foam ear pads.

I did send them a copy of my original receipt, and a $6 Check for return P&H with my faulty KSC-35s. No problems. When the KSC-35s were re-released I purchased 2 (I never used the second headphones,) comparing the ones they recently sent me they sound the same as the originals. My new KSC-35s has a tiny sticker on the driver (covered by the foam pad) with some type of ID number on it (my original KSC-35s didn't have that.)

So if you can mail KOSS your faulty KSC-35s, a copy of your original receipt, $6 Check for their return P&H, and include a letter stating that you would like KSC-35s back and not any other replacement model, I am sure they will do so. The KSC-35s are covered by Koss' no questions asked warranty, check out their website for further details.

Jan 31, 2006 at 11:32 PM Post #8 of 11
I recently had to return my beloved KSC-35's for repairs, and got a set of KSC-75's. Not the same phone. I was under the impression the 35's were no longer being made or available. Bah.

Feb 1, 2006 at 12:40 AM Post #9 of 11
headfiers oughta make a big stink with Koss until they get fed up and release a special "HF-35"
biggrin.gif

Feb 1, 2006 at 3:53 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superbaldguy
I recently had to return my beloved KSC-35's for repairs, and got a set of KSC-75's. Not the same phone. I was under the impression the 35's were no longer being made or available. Bah.

Sorry to hear about that Superbaldguy. I returned my Koss KSC-35's to their factory (H.Q.) at 4129 N. Port Washington Ave, Milwaukee, WI 53212 USA. I mailed them my KSC-35's recently, and they returned KSC-35's a little over a week ago.

Feb 1, 2006 at 8:51 AM Post #11 of 11
There seems to be some misinformation regarding the policy on returned headphones - I wanted the 35's, for sure, not the 75's.

Can you still buy the 35's directly from Koss?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back