Uh-Oh
Oct 1, 2011 at 5:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Parula

Head-Fier
Hey folks. I had posted once before concerning the hook-up of my Beyerdynamic amp. I purchased a pair of Grado PS-1000 cans in early August. Yesterday I was playing Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon Immersion Box set at a somewhat loud volume (3:0'Clock) on the amp volume knob). As the prolonged heavy bass of the song "Time" commenced, I began to hear distortion/vibration coming from the left ear cup. Trying to narrow down the problem, I first removed one of the extension cords and then plugged the cans into the receiver's jack. I continued to experience this same distortion. I then tried hooking up another pair of cans ($150.00 Shure) and voila! No more distortion. I'm guessing that I've blown the left driver. THANK YOU ROGER WATERS! I'm surprised that I could damage such a great set of cans. I have read some of the posts here mentioning the possibility of a hair lying on the driver. I don't know if this is the cause but I am reluctant to try and take them apart. In any case, I am returning my cans to Grado today for service. They are under warranty as I purchased them through an authorized Grado dealer.

Do you concur with my diagnosis?

By the way ... the Dark Side of the Moon Immersion Box Set is awesome!

Regards,

Michelle

Oct 1, 2011 at 10:07 AM Post #2 of 7
Hey folks. I had posted once before concerning the hook-up of my Beyerdynamic amp. I purchased a pair of Grado PS-1000 cans in early August. Yesterday I was playing Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon Immersion Box set at a somewhat loud volume (3:0'Clock) on the amp volume knob). As the prolonged heavy bass of the song "Time" commenced, I began to hear distortion/vibration coming from the left ear cup. Trying to narrow down the problem, I first removed one of the extension cords and then plugged the cans into the receiver's jack. I continued to experience this same distortion. I then tried hooking up another pair of cans ($150.00 Shure) and voila! No more distortion. I'm guessing that I've blown the left driver. THANK YOU ROGER WATERS! I'm surprised that I could damage such a great set of cans. I have read some of the posts here mentioning the possibility of a hair lying on the driver. I don't know if this is the cause but I am reluctant to try and take them apart. In any case, I am returning my cans to Grado today for service. They are under warranty as I purchased them through an authorized Grado dealer.

Do you concur with my diagnosis?

By the way ... the Dark Side of the Moon Immersion Box Set is awesome!

Regards,

Michelle

Were you listening so loud to try and get more bass out of your Grado?

I think you made the right call, but I'd be careful next time. Blown driver or not...take it easy on your ears, man.

Oct 1, 2011 at 10:21 AM Post #3 of 7
This is perplexing, not jumping to conclusions just yet but this is the 2nd case in a little while
reporting a blown driver with the PS-1000.

Such a shame, you don't see too many cases of SR & RS series drivers blowing, unless
I've missed some threads.

@Parula - Let us know if you're fortunate enough to get a straight swap or if the dealer will simply
send them in on your behalf for repair.

I agree with MorbidToaster - surprised volume was the killer, I wouldn't want to rig my 325i's to
my head until they blew - I'd be deaf as a mule before that happened.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back