Ultimate closed headphone?
Sep 12, 2012 at 10:13 PM Post #18 of 38
when i had the ed8, i had to crank it upppp to get the best out of the can in my opinion.
Not exactly blown away by this can, i enjoy the pro900 much more...big bass impact n control when i plug in the Lyr.

Sep 13, 2012 at 5:34 AM Post #19 of 38
Quote:

You two seem to have very different opinions on the edition 8, do you think the sound varies in each product?

@ My ears are kinda big and the pads in the ath-m50 were too small for me. My ears didn't fit so they pressed against the pads. Is the space inside the pad of the signature pro smaller or bigger that the space inside the pads of the ath-m50?

I reckon the sound varies in batches. I personally wouldn't recommend purchasing one as the demo one sounded so bad it's not worth the risk- you could end up with something similar. Maybe if you're buying from somewhere with a great return policy it's worth a shot.

Quote:

Wow, your Edition 8 must be a fluke! Your demo experience is what is most common. I have heard of the Edition 8 sound changing over time. Are your own pair older? Seems the newer stuff is hot on the high end and is pretty scooped in the midrange. 

I find the Sig Pro extremely comfortable. It seems the Edition 8 feels best on smaller heads, so you may have one of those heads that fits it well. I did as well, but I still find SP one of the most comfortable headphones I've ever tried. 

In my own A/B, I found the midrange on the Ed8 to be a thin joke in comparison, with hot highs that were fatiguing. 

My pair are early ones yea. It's not that much of a fluke as there are quite a lot of positive reviews floating around from notable headfiers who clearly had a pair similar to mine. I remember people complaining that the midrange is too forward for their liking, not that it's the most recessed thing they've come across!!

Sig Pro extremely comfortable??
The headband is way too tough (no padding) as is the clamp. The pads are thin, circular and don't offer much comfort especially when the clamp is so tight. Well, there are plenty of people saying that they find lcd2's to be comfortable, so this evaluation of comfort is as highly opinionated than anything I guess. The ed8 fit me fine as my ears are straight (not that angled), not protruding, not big (not small either) and rather 'rectangular.' It's the ears and their shape which is most important I think as the clamp is tight enough to fit small and large heads (unlike the k550 for example) 

Sep 13, 2012 at 10:19 AM Post #20 of 38
Quote:
I reckon the sound varies in batches. I personally wouldn't recommend purchasing one as the demo one sounded so bad it's not worth the risk- you could end up with something similar. Maybe if you're buying from somewhere with a great return policy it's worth a shot.

My pair are early ones yea. It's not that much of a fluke as there are quite a lot of positive reviews floating around from notable headfiers who clearly had a pair similar to mine. I remember people complaining that the midrange is too forward for their liking, not that it's the most recessed thing they've come across!!

The headband is way too tough (no padding) as is the clamp. The pads are thin, circular and don't offer much comfort especially when the clamp is so tight. Well, there are plenty of people saying that they find lcd2's to be comfortable, so this evaluation of comfort is as highly opinionated than anything I guess. The ed8 fit me fine as my ears are straight (not that angled), not protruding, not big (not small either) and rather 'rectangular.' It's the ears and their shape which is most important I think as the clamp is tight enough to fit small and large heads (unlike the k550 for example) 

Yes, alot of people don't like clamp. I enjoy the feeling of isolation myself. Usually I associate high clamp with great isolation. That is definitely subjective. And to provide a bit of clarity -  the "fluke" comment makes sense if compared to recent batches from Ultrasone. That's why I asked if it was an early pair, since that would explain the difference, otherwise it's a fluke in my opinion and outside of the mainstream opinion. I know my mids were very recessed. They are about a year old. 

Sep 13, 2012 at 3:14 PM Post #21 of 38
Quote:

Yes, alot of people don't like clamp. I enjoy the feeling of isolation myself. Usually I associate high clamp with great isolation. That is definitely subjective. And to provide a bit of clarity -  the "fluke" comment makes sense if compared to recent batches from Ultrasone. That's why I asked if it was an early pair, since that would explain the difference, otherwise it's a fluke in my opinion and outside of the mainstream opinion. I know my mids were very recessed. They are about a year old. 

Did you hear about the new ultrasone signature DJ thats coming out? I wanna see how it compares with the signature pro...

Sep 13, 2012 at 3:17 PM Post #22 of 38
Yes! I can't wait for it! The Signature Pro started the line, and next up, Signature DJ. Hoping for a SP like sound with even more bass womp. Like an ultimate Pro 900 or something. Excited to see how this one pays out. 

Sep 13, 2012 at 3:46 PM Post #23 of 38
Quote:
Yes! I can't wait for it! The Signature Pro started the line, and next up, Signature DJ. Hoping for a SP like sound with even more bass womp. Like an ultimate Pro 900 or something. Excited to see how this one pays out. 

I wish I knew when it would be released! I just hope they don't put too much bass, or else it will leak into the mids.

Sep 13, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #24 of 38
Quote:

The headband is way too tough (no padding) as is the clamp. The pads are thin, circular and don't offer much comfort especially when the clamp is so tight. Well, there are plenty of people saying that they find lcd2's to be comfortable, so this evaluation of comfort is as highly opinionated than anything I guess.

Agree... I do find the Sig Pros mildly uncomfortable (not sure if it is because of my using glasses, or the clamp, or the leather material of the pads, etc. etc.) but the sound more than makes up for that ... Still, I actually believe that the pads for the Sig Pros are similar (in size, not material) to those of the M50s but I don't remember (I don't have those ATs besides me...). One of the most comfortable closed cans that I've been listening to lately is the modified Fostex T50RPs (Mad Dogs).

Anyway, if you can try either Ultrasone somewhere, it will be better for you (and your ears!).

Good luck!

Sep 13, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #25 of 38
Quote:

Agree... I do find the Sig Pros mildly uncomfortable (not sure if it is because of my using glasses, or the clamp, or the leather material of the pads, etc. etc.) but the sound more than makes up for that ... Still, I actually believe that the pads for the Sig Pros are similar (in size, not material) to those of the M50s but I don't remember (I don't have those ATs besides me...). One of the most comfortable closed cans that I've been listening to lately is the modified Fostex T50RPs (Mad Dogs).

Anyway, if you can try either Ultrasone somewhere, it will be better for you (and your ears!).

Good luck!

Have you by any chance heard the beyer T5p? It seems like a good contender to the Signature pro.

Sep 16, 2012 at 6:08 PM Post #28 of 38
Quote:
@SoundFreaq

How would you compare your Ultrasone Signature Pro to your Foxtex TH900 in terms of sound, isolation, comfort and driving need? Which one do you prefer if you had to choose one?

Well, let me just say that the Sig Pro is a truly fantastic headphone. It sounds great, and I have a ton of fun with it, for sure. The TH900 is a headphone that costs effectively 2.5x as much. The "cons" of the TH900 is that they are pretty big, and leak sound in AND out like an open headphone. Leaving the house with them is definitely something I can never do. The Sig Pro I can take with me and enjoy at work, no problem. The Sig Pro are one of the best isolating headphones I've ever owned. They are great to take around if you feel so inclined. 

They are both very efficient. Right about the same. Driving out of an iPod makes the both of them sound just great. Plugging into a rig coaxes the rest out of them, but neither require lots of equipment behind them. 

As far as the sound, here's what I posted in the TH900 thread about the difference: 

"Compared to the Signature Pro in A/B, they are 3-D and organic sounding. Sure, the mids are a tad more recessed but the naturalness blows the SP mids away. They sound so much more clean, and refined. Not to mention the soundstage and imaging are on a whole other level completely. They are more engaging, and make the SP sound flat by comparison. I wasn't expecting such a jump in quality. The bass is the best I've ever heard. So tight, so clean, so voluptuous. It's magic. The highs are so refined and extended. I am in heaven. "

What you decide on should first be decided by what your needs are. The Sig Pro is fantastic. The TH900 takes it to the next level for sure, but at 2.5x the cost and sacrificing any portability. 

Sep 16, 2012 at 8:33 PM Post #29 of 38
I realized I neglected to comment on comfort. For me, I think the Sig Pro is a very comfortable headphone. Some others don't. I think the leather is very soft, and the earcups are spacious for such a portable phone. Some don't like the slightly above average clamp. Doesn't bother me in the least. The TH900 is the most comfortable headphone that I, and many others, have ever worn. spacious, light, low clamp... you can truly forget you're wearing them. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back