Ultimate Ears LIVE Impressions Thread
May 30, 2018 at 11:33 PM Post #16 of 156
IPX connector? Is it same as Obravo's?

Jun 2, 2018 at 10:51 PM Post #17 of 156
IPX connector? Is it same as Obravo's?

No, oBravo uses a modified mmcx connector with a key-notch so you can't twist/turn it. And the socket on the shell is deep, so you can't use any aftermarket mmcx connector cables. But, you can use oBravo cables with any IEM that accepts a standard mmcx connector.

Jun 2, 2018 at 10:57 PM Post #18 of 156
Alright, since we are on a topic of IPX connector, the new connector used on Linum SuperBax cable bundled with a next gen UE line up, here are some close ups how it looks on UE LIVE :wink:

UE_LIVE-x02.jpg UE_LIVE-x03.jpg UE_LIVE-x04.jpg UE_LIVE-x05.jpg UE_LIVE-x06.jpg

Connection is tight, feels secure, and doesn't spin/turn as easily as a typical mmcx connector. These guys are IP67 rated, waterproof and sweat resistance. Actually, a great write up by Mike Dias here: https://www.prosoundnetwork.com/gea...ons-ultimate-ears-ipx-cable-connection-system - among other things, talks about the decision to use new cable/connector.

Jun 2, 2018 at 10:59 PM Post #19 of 156
And, here are a few shots of UE LIVE. I picked a transparent shell with a titanium faceplate; nothing fancy, just wanted to be able to get a clear view of DD :wink:

UE_LIVE-x01.jpg UE_LIVE-x07.jpg UE_LIVE-x08.jpg UE_LIVE-x09.jpg

Jun 2, 2018 at 11:55 PM Post #20 of 156
Jun 3, 2018 at 3:41 PM Post #21 of 156
Great photos and information, thank you for posting. I agree that the cable is an underrated aspect of IEM's, especially for people who aren't just sitting in a chair while using them. I use mine for exercising and a bad cable can make an otherwise great IEM completely unusable. I'm looking forward to sound impressions.

Jun 9, 2018 at 8:29 AM Post #23 of 156
@twister6 - additionally, could you confirm theres no external venting for the dynamic driver? As you can see, I'm really anxious about learning about the bass response in these drivers - especially compared to the Roxanne which is my current benchmark for bass. I see you have 18ts also, have you got any sneak peak comments about how they perform in the bottom end and the headroom? Reason why I'm asking, is that I'm looking to replace my Roxannes and looking for a change but something that still gives me the headroom in the bass that I am used to when I'm using them onstage.

Jun 9, 2018 at 7:12 PM Post #24 of 156
@twister6 - additionally, could you confirm theres no external venting for the dynamic driver? As you can see, I'm really anxious about learning about the bass response in these drivers - especially compared to the Roxanne which is my current benchmark for bass. I see you have 18ts also, have you got any sneak peak comments about how they perform in the bottom end and the headroom? Reason why I'm asking, is that I'm looking to replace my Roxannes and looking for a change but something that still gives me the headroom in the bass that I am used to when I'm using them onstage.

No DD vent, and I confirmed that with UE (just in case if I missed it since my shell is clear). I need to spend a little more time with these, plus in a middle of a number of other reviews with critical deadlines. One thing for sure, UE LIVE has a big and bold bass... and a bit of a rolled off treble.

But based on my initial impressions:

UE LIVE has a reversed J-shaped sound signature based on a boosted low end impact with a little lift in lower treble. The tonality is rich, smooth, lush, musical. This unique tuning combination yields a sound which is full of natural organic details that have more focus on warm smooth naturalness rather than high resolution or high clarity. Basically, you get a full bodied thicker sound with a very addictive bass slam, organic lush mids, and smooth controlled treble.

Jun 9, 2018 at 11:45 PM Post #25 of 156
UE Live impressions

IMG_20180610_120245.jpg
Bass is big especially on mid bass. the first time I listened to this it reminded me of the sennheiser IE8/80 800, Xelento
I am impressed despite for me having a mid bass hump it is very well controlled tight and FAST. The Live is a DD warm signature. This is not an always bass ON iem but when impact and slam calls for it
it delivers it in big sound but not on the level of ie800/s and xelento imo. It is also deep but I thought it is more focused on the mid bass. Drums are very well portrayed, weighty and solid as well as the notes. They are very engaging when the mid bass starts to show giving me that "Live" feeling. Though those who come from a bright or clarity focused signature might hear these a bit muffled.

the mids are well detailed. Bass for me does not bleed into the mids.Vocals have a nice timbre. It is clear and does not drown out on complex passages. But they are not forward like the 18+.
It sounds thick on the lower region and could sometimes project forwardness (imho, 160Hz-315Hz). It is lush, organic and also sweet. It does also have the micro details on its vocals. High mids have a nice presence particularly at the 2kHz region or slight bump giving it some clarity(maybe just on my ears as I also experience some ringing at 2kHz on planars, Audeze). Pianoes sound accurate and has a sweet tone on them for me.

The highs are refined compared to my 2nd gen 18+. Sometimes gets hot and give me sibilance(sensitive to sibilance, my right ear canal has a bend) starting from 6.3kHz to 8kHz and slowly dropping at 10kHz and so on (I wonder if the custom version has these). Giving it spark and also shimmer compared to my 18+. Extension for me is good and enough but not highly extended.

Soundstage is huge accompanying its big bass. Instrument separation is also good even with a bassy signature. Layering is similar to the 2nd and 3rd gen 18+.

Like what is mentioned, for me it is also a unique tuning. Ime, on a hybrid design, I sometimes feel the DDs being disjointed or not coherent on the whole presentation like the bass, mids and highs are differently tuned. I didn't feel this on the UE Live. The coherence I get from my 2nd gen 18+ is also what the Live has imho. I thought it has a very good fusion with the BAs and a DD coherency if I'm not mistaken even besting my 18+. The whole presentation is warm, controlled, very good transition and smooth. It sounds one as a whole for me.

Hope this helps :)

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2018 at 12:15 AM Post #26 of 156
Really interested in getting some solid feedback on these - especially for anybody who can compare them against the JH Roxanne. Tempting stuff...

I'll try to compare it with my 1st gen Roxanne. But when it comes to bass, this is a BA(Roxanne) vs DD(UE Live). In this case the UE Live for me has the upper hand. If you want an almost DD type of bass, the 64audio U18 can give you that and especially the Soundwriter.

Jun 10, 2018 at 1:37 AM Post #27 of 156
UE Live impressions

Bass is big especially on mid bass. the first time I listened to this it reminded me of the sennheiser IE8/80 800, Xelento
I am impressed despite for me having a mid bass hump it is very well controlled tight and FAST. The Live is a DD warm signature. This is not an always bass ON iem but when impact and slam calls for it
it delivers it in big sound but not on the level of ie800/s and xelento imo. It is also deep but I thought it is more focused on the mid bass. Drums are very well portrayed, weighty and solid as well as the notes. They are very engaging when the mid bass starts to show giving me that "Live" feeling. Though those who come from a bright or clarity focused signature might hear these a bit muffled.

the mids are well detailed. Bass for me does not bleed into the mids.Vocals have a nice timbre. It is clear and does not drown out on complex passages. But they are not forward like the 18+.
It sounds thick on the lower region and could sometimes project forwardness (imho, 160Hz-315Hz). It is lush, organic and also sweet. It does also have the micro details on its vocals. High mids have a nice presence particularly at the 2kHz region or slight bump giving it some clarity(maybe just on my ears as I also experience some ringing at 2kHz on planars, Audeze). Pianoes sound accurate and has a sweet tone on them for me.

The highs are refined compared to my 2nd gen 18+. Sometimes gets hot and give me sibilance(sensitive to sibilance, my right ear canal has a bend) starting from 6.3kHz to 8kHz and slowly dropping at 10kHz and so on (I wonder if the custom version has these). Giving it spark and also shimmer compared to my 18+. Extension for me is good and enough but not highly extended.

Soundstage is huge accompanying its big bass. Instrument separation is also good even with a bassy signature. Layering is similar to the 2nd and 3rd gen 18+.

Like what is mentioned, for me it is also a unique tuning. Ime, on a hybrid design, I sometimes feel the DDs being disjointed or not coherent on the whole presentation. I didn't feel this on the UE Live. The coherence I get from my 2nd gen 18+ is also what the Live has imho. I thought it has a very good fusion with the BAs and very coherent.

Hope this helps :)

Music Sanctuary demo set, right?

Not next to my laptop now where I have FR I captured of Live response, but I recall the peak you referring to was closer to 8k with a roll off after 10k. I'm also sensitive to sibilance, but more around 6k-7k, while for some reason this peak doesn't bother me as much and as a result treble feels smoother. Need to spend more time with it, try more tracks to push that 8k peak.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2018 at 2:53 AM Post #28 of 156
Music Sanctuary demo set, right?

Not next to my laptop now where I have FR I captured of Live response, but I recall the peak you referring to was closer to 8k with a roll off after 10k. I'm also sensitive to sibilance, but more around 6k-7k, while for some reason this peak doesn't bother me as much and as a result treble feels smoother. Need to spend more time with it, try more tracks to push that 8k peak.

Yes.

I dont have a FR so I picked a frequency closest to it. The burn in for me helped reduce the sibilance. Im gonna give it more. Yes I agree the treble is smooth too. This could be just my ears that's why I mentioned it at first hand.

thanks for the advice :)

Jun 10, 2018 at 5:54 AM Post #29 of 156
No DD vent, and I confirmed that with UE (just in case if I missed it since my shell is clear). I need to spend a little more time with these, plus in a middle of a number of other reviews with critical deadlines. One thing for sure, UE LIVE has a big and bold bass... and a bit of a rolled off treble.

But based on my initial impressions:

UE LIVE has a reversed J-shaped sound signature based on a boosted low end impact with a little lift in lower treble. The tonality is rich, smooth, lush, musical. This unique tuning combination yields a sound which is full of natural organic details that have more focus on warm smooth naturalness rather than high resolution or high clarity. Basically, you get a full bodied thicker sound with a very addictive bass slam, organic lush mids, and smooth controlled treble.
This sounds very interesting. For me, the reproduction of the bass is very important- if doesn't have to be amazingly accurate I guess, just exciting - and the wording of "very addictive bass slam" coupled with lush mids has has certainly got me raising my eyebrow. It sounds like that its signature has some parallels with my Roxannes - the big and bold bass with that rolled off treble. I defo think that this could be a contender.

Thanks for your input so far :)

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2018 at 6:05 AM Post #30 of 156
I'll try to compare it with my 1st gen Roxanne. But when it comes to bass, this is a BA(Roxanne) vs DD(UE Live). In this case the UE Live for me has the upper hand. If you want an almost DD type of bass, the 64audio U18 can give you that and especially the Soundwriter.

One of my main points of interest with this piece is that it is partially DD - maybe this will give me something a little extra/different to the Roxanne. I've never owned a hybrid so don't know what quite to expect. I think the last time I heard one was the UM Merlin. Funnily enough, not that I'm expecting big things, but on a whim Ive ordered a ZS10 just to get a feel for it - but I don't expect them to be in the ballpark compared to other pieces that I've had.

As much as I love my Roxannes and the JH16s (the big bass boys), I don't think they are perfect (what is?) but I am guessing I am also itching to try something a little different. I love the U18 from what I've heard but fear that the impedance is too low for my wireless in ears pack on stage (they are under the minimum load of the pack). I've already shot an email to UE about my setup as the Live is right on the cusp also (but the right side, unlike the U18s).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back