Ultra Desktop Amp Review
Sep 11, 2010 at 1:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

aamefford

I have a custom title!
Hello all,
There really are not enough reviews of Headroom's amps here!  In order to help remedy that, I have started my review thread in the "Full Size Amps" forum, and thought it might be appropriate to cross post the link here:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/511909/headroom-ultra-desktop-review#post_6918942

I hope you find it helpful!

Sep 25, 2010 at 6:44 PM Post #4 of 5
To clarify a bit your initial confusion over the excellent DAC in HR's Ultra Desktop Amp, here is a comment from TheSloth that helped me make up my mind to get one of these amps last year:

"The Max DAC module is really fantastic for the money. As newer DAC's with things like the Sabre chips come out, it will become increasingly 'old tech', but the CS4398 DAC chip is very highly regarded. Most people just don't bother to do things like use OPA627's with proper FET class A bias for example - these things really make a difference to my ears, and HeadRoom spend the money on the parts to do it.

"It compares well to the very best standalone DAC's in the sub $1k market, and with its integration and lack of interconnects etc in the amp, it has an extra edge as well. No RCA's = good thing.

"If you want a technical perspective, look up the Stereophile review of this unit. The measurements are extremely impressive (and those were taken with the old module output stage which was significantly inferior to the current design.)"

Thank you, TheSloth, for your expertise and kind help.

Needless to say, I've been delighted with the Ultra Desktop Amp.

Oct 13, 2010 at 2:16 PM Post #5 of 5
Wow, this is really great, thanks guys!!!

We appreciate the kudos.  We receive these kinds of compliments all the time on our amps but they don't always show up on Head-fi.

Don't forget to also submit your reviews on our site via Customer Reviews -- it'll enter you to win a monthly $100 Gift Certificate.  More reviews gets you more entries; so review as much as you'd like (as long as you own it or at least spent a LOT of time w/ it...)

I have to say I think the quality of Customer Reviews on our site is very high, and much of this is thanks in part to you guys and this community.  So, thanks again for your support. 
beyersmile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back