Ultrasone 780 V/S ath m50 or any other- Which ones for me?
May 28, 2011 at 6:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

edge111hussain

New Head-Fier
Alright guys, creating this thread cause i couldnt find a convincing answer from any of my r&d.

Wanted a pair of cans for myself for Music as well as movies. My source will range from my trusted S9, e7 connected to the pc or even via my yamaha amplifier for my ht. I like a bit of bass, prefer a bit of punch and have heard good things about the 780's too.
I would like my cans to be bright but not too much treble (heard the dt770 and 990 have a lot of treble spark).

Now im getting a pair of used 780's for the price of a new ath m50. All in all im looking for an allrounder. I do own a ue triple fi10 and love the sound, but i do prefer cans over iems and hence the new thread.

Also one could suggest if there is anything else out there thats easy to run and matches the tri fi 10 sound sig.

I was considering the d-2000 as well, but im getting a 780 real cheap. Too much of a difference between the d2000, 780's or the m50?
Im certainly not an analytical listener and like the sound of dre beats too, i guess this should tell ya that what im looking for are some real fun cans.

PLs suggest what would be the best for me. Im from India and to audition every can will be difficult cause of non availability of models here. Will be sourcing from the states though hence im kinda dependent on you guys based on your personal experience with the mentioned cans.,

May 28, 2011 at 7:55 PM Post #2 of 7
Hmm, for movies as well music, I would lean more toward the HFi-780.  It's has the sound signature that I think, would work very well with movies.

May 29, 2011 at 11:24 AM Post #4 of 7
The 780 isn't even in the same league as the M-50.  The ATs are entry-level headphones; the 780s are solidly mid-fi.  Having heard both, there's no situation where I would ever pick the M-50 over the Ultrasones.  The shiny cans just do everything better, and have a much more fun signature.  The M50, while a nice low-price entry level can, really is just that - a low-price entry-level can.

The D2000s were way too mid-recessed and boomy for me, especially for things like movies where voices take precedence over everything else.

May 29, 2011 at 11:28 AM Post #5 of 7
So is it safe to assume that the 780 score higher than the d-2000's for movies and for music. 
Forgot to mention, in music my genres are generally Hip-hop, bollywood and rock.

Also is the e7 enough to run th 780's???

May 29, 2011 at 1:45 PM Post #6 of 7
They can be adequately driven directly off a computer sound card or the like, but they do scale pretty decently with better amplification.  I've used mine a good bit with an E3 and a Creative Zen while flying, and it worked fine for a portable setup; an E7 would be even better.

The D2k does have a good following with music, and I won't say it's bad - I simply don't like the Denon sound signature.  I just personally don't think they would work well for movies and gaming because of the emphasis they put on bass, rather than mids.

Quote:
So is it safe to assume that the 780 score higher than the d-2000's for movies and for music. 
Forgot to mention, in music my genres are generally Hip-hop, bollywood and rock.

Also is the e7 enough to run th 780's???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back