ultrasone edition 9 vs edition 8
Sep 3, 2009 at 8:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 103

fp581

100+ Head-Fier
i am listening to rock, pop, metal, new age, r&b, classic and franc house
and the source will be amp3 player or creative zii
i currently have the ultrasone 2500 pro and i love it!! but its about time to upgrade the gear

thx for the help
floatsmile.png

Sep 3, 2009 at 9:42 PM Post #2 of 103
If you love your pair of 2500 so much then why push yourself to upgrade..??
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 3, 2009 at 9:59 PM Post #4 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by fp581 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i love them but i want to reach the next level of headphones

why? what's there when you "level up"? more skill points? more health or mana?

curious, since you love the 2500, stick with them.

Sep 4, 2009 at 6:15 AM Post #6 of 103
in ultrasone 2500 pro the mids are hollow and the highs are a little off and i want to get the best sounding headphones for better sound to enjoy my music more

Sep 4, 2009 at 6:33 AM Post #7 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Liver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why? what's there when you "level up"? more skill points? more health or mana?

curious, since you love the 2500, stick with them.

I also loved my HD595 very much before I upgraded to more high grade cans (RS1 ,HD650,DENON AHD5000), but now I love my cans even more because they are higher level cans.
no one can't know if something better until he try it
wink.gif

If going with your recommendation, one shouldn't upgrade anymore when he find his first love for cans.
fp581...? are the 2500 your first high end cans? if yes, you should definitely upgrade and also try something else...experience with other (and better) sounds. no headphone can cover all music genres with equal level of greatness, so experimenting is very important (and fun) to find the sound you really like...and if you won't like your new cans you can always sell them.

I am also curious about the ultrasones sound in general and especially the higher models.
can someone make a comparisson with one of the denon models..? (AHD2000,5000,7000)

Sep 4, 2009 at 8:28 AM Post #8 of 103
The most sensible thing is to just be happy... I mean if you upgrade you can´t be happier. You just get more unhappy with your old headphones which where perfectly fine. Then you get perfectly fine with your new "better" headphones. You will fool yourself you are happy and in some month you will come back here looking for next upgrade to make ytou even happier. It´s an addiction
smily_headphones1.gif

As for comparisons. Well the Pro 900 is a lot more serious then the fully markl modded D5000. I suppose they are supposed to have some kind of smoked in club sound whereas the 900 is more clinical studio sound. Quite different. 900s stock have more in common with the HD 650 but still quite different.

Sep 4, 2009 at 9:30 AM Post #9 of 103
whats up with you people...? let the OP upgrade his gear.
if he never upgrades he will never know what he is missing. the ambiciousness and Aspiration to get the best sound possible is the reason we are having this conversation in the first place.

headphones can be sold anytime, so it is not big deal. this all hobby is about trying new sounds and experimanting.

I agree that this hobby, like many others (computers is the best example) has no end to it, and everyone should know when to draw the line and just enjoy his/her own gear, but the OP doesn't seem to get to this point. he obviously calling for better sound,which can be achieved only from upgrading.

Sep 4, 2009 at 10:53 AM Post #10 of 103
i get that point but the line for me is the 1500$ so the next headgear will be the dead line
in the future i may buy other headphones from different companies but it will never exceed the 1500$
i have tried different companies like:
lo end sony (i own)
hd 555
akg 601 (i own)
icans (i own)
and my pride and joy (for now) 2500 pro

Sep 4, 2009 at 10:23 PM Post #12 of 103
Pro 900 or ED 9 should be a safer upgrade then the ED 8 then.

I haven´t heard the 2500 but had the 750 which from what I heard is not all that different. The the 900 if you forget the bass boost does pretty much everything that bit better. But it´s still the same house sound. And as mentioned with KeeS modding it does even have better bass then the 750
smily_headphones1.gif

Many actually preferr the Pro 900 over the ED 9 even though you don´t get goat skin and such on the 900 and well if you get that you could afford getting another headphone for 1000$ to go with it lol

being an ultrasone fan myself the only ones that give me as much pleasure is some German Maestros. 450 Pros in particular but I have even bigger hopes for the 435S
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 4, 2009 at 10:45 PM Post #13 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Many actually preferr the Pro 900 over the ED 9 even though you don´t get goat skin and such on the 900 and well if you get that you could afford getting another headphone for 1000$ to go with it lol

It has got to be the finest Ethiopian sheep skin. I won't settle for less.
biggrin.gif

Sep 4, 2009 at 11:00 PM Post #14 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by fp581 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i am listening to rock, pop, metal, new age, r&b, classic and franc house
and the source will be amp3 player or creative zii
i currently have the ultrasone 2500 pro and i love it!! but its about time to upgrade the gear

thx for the help
floatsmile.png

If you like the Ultrasone sound and these are something you consider not just sitting in your room at night listening to the ED8's have my vote. I just got them about 2 weeks ago myself and I have been enjoying audio bliss. There are very few cans at the upper end which are kind of do-it-all cans. The ED8's have isolation, amazing clarity and detail, and can be transported. I would check em out. There isn't too much in that range that could be driven out of portables and still sound great, the ED8's still sound great out of my ipod nano unamped.

That being said I have never heard the ED9's. Can you even find them anymore new? I checked ebay and there was only 1 for ~2k

There isn't a whole lot you can go wrong with between the 2. Also have you thought about perhaps sinking money into both new cans and an amp/dac or something and start getting the whole system rocking?

Sep 4, 2009 at 11:10 PM Post #15 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by illy2k /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That being said I have never heard the ED9's. Can you even find them anymore new? I checked ebay and there was only 1 for ~2k

I think there is a pair of re-cabled Edition9 in the For Sale Forum today.
Glad to hear all the positive reviews of Edition8. I want them....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back