Ultrasone HFI-580 vs Sennheiser HD280 vs ATH-M50
Aug 17, 2011 at 1:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

yhbae

New Head-Fier
I've never owned a decent set of headphones before - most of the headphones I owned are Logitech type with microphones, plugged into the PC. Recently, the set broke on me and as usual, I bought another $40 Logitech headset. But for some reason, this one sounds far worse than the last one. Because of this, I finally decided to upgrade my headphone to something much more decent.

I typically use them when I am programming on my PC or a laptop. I do use them at least 5 hours per day (sometimes more than 10 hours), often non-stop, so comfort is important.

I do like bass a lot. I also like clear sounds. I also realize I'm not an audiophile.

I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on a headphone (at least this time around). Perhaps around $100-$150.

So what would be an ideal choice for me? I've done some research on my own and so far, came up with these three.

Could someone compare these 3 in terms of their experiences? I will continue to research as well.

Thank you.

Aug 17, 2011 at 1:51 PM Post #2 of 3
Have both the HD 280 and the ATH-M50, the HD 280 are monitoring headphones, and they do exactly what they should, to be clear and precise. Might not have enough deep bass for average listeners though, that's about the only thing. ATH-M50 have great lows and highs, but vocals/mids sound far away so that drags the overall performance down, whereas in the HD 280 it sounds like the singer's voice is both near and clear. If you don't feel that the vocals are too important, go with the ATH-M50. Can't comment on Ultrasone as I haven't tried listening to those.

Aug 17, 2011 at 2:00 PM Post #3 of 3

Quote:
Have both the HD 280 and the ATH-M50, the HD 280 are monitoring headphones, and they do exactly what they should, to be clear and precise. Might not have enough deep bass for average listeners though, that's about the only thing. ATH-M50 have great lows and highs, but vocals/mids sound far away so that drags the overall performance down, whereas in the HD 280 it sounds like the singer's voice is both near and clear. If you don't feel that the vocals are too important, go with the ATH-M50. Can't comment on Ultrasone as I haven't tried listening to those.

Thanks for the response.

Not having enough bass will probably turn me off, so I may have to cross HD280 off the list.

I've also been reading on Panasonic RP-HTX7. Much cheaper but many claim it is still decent with decent bass as well. Anyone with experience in this headphone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back