Ultrasone HFI780 ALO Mod
Feb 25, 2008 at 5:02 PM Post #18 of 477
headphoneaddict, how is the bass on the alo-780 compared to the proline 2500?. or more comparing overall between these to would be nice.
thinking of getting the best ultrasone and without paying the price for the ed9., so go for the modded alo780 or the pro2500?

Feb 25, 2008 at 6:31 PM Post #19 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by frekvens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
headphoneaddict, how is the bass on the alo-780 compared to the proline 2500?. or more comparing overall between these to would be nice.
thinking of getting the best ultrasone and without paying the price for the ed9., so go for the modded alo780 or the pro2500?

The bass on the HFI780 and ALO780 is more powerful than the PL2500.

They both (780/2500) tighten up and become more controlled with more hours, but the PL2500 bass volume decreases more with hours and levels off, and I haven't heard the 780 drop off yet. The ALO780 had more bass control and definition at 50 hours than the HFI780 at 200 hours when I first compared them. With 36 more hours on both the ALO and stock ones, they continue to improve in that area.

Also, the ALO ones never showed the dip in performance during burn in that the stock ones had between 36-75 hours. I suspect that was the diode board. They are at 255 vs 85 hours each, if my math is right, and with the stock ones it seemed most of the changes were in the first 150 hours, after that it was just adding more refinement and control. I am now about to send mine off in an hour or two for Ken to mod, then I'll return these later in the week.

Feb 25, 2008 at 6:54 PM Post #20 of 477
I tried out my PL2500 this morning next to both 780's

The PL2500 are still enjoyable, but the differences I notice which make them less enjoyable than either 780 is the decrease in bass impact, and the withdrawn mids. I still wont call the mids sucked out, because sucked out needs EQ (Darth Beyer shallow cup, Stax Lambda Pro). The 2500 mids are closer to a Super.fi 5 pro while the 780 mids are more like a Triple.fi 10 Pro.

I've had several people ask about the sound signature, is it more like Grado or Sennheiser. The answers to that are in the other HFI780 thread http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/so-...-780-a-289917/ so just read it all, listening to the people who own them, not the speculators and spectators.

In a nutshell, 780 are fast and energetic and forward vs slower and mellower HD600, but they are not the Grado "in your face" nor as "deep" as the HD600. However, the right source, amp and cable can get the HD600 to sound like that (fast and energetic). For instance, my re-cabled HD600 and re-cabled RS-2 actually sound very similar. Yet a stock HD600 vs stock RS-2 is more different, with the more energetic forward sound going to the RS-2. However, you would not mistake a 780 or HD600 or RS-2 for one another if you were blind folded, whether stock or re-cabled.

The 780 have more bass and treble than my re-cabled RS-2, but have a wider soundstage and are less in your face than the RS-2. But my recabled HF-1 have more bass and a deeper sound stage than the RS-2, but not a lot wider. So, even among Grados the sound can be different.

Feb 25, 2008 at 7:17 PM Post #21 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by frekvens /img/forum/go_quote.gif

PS: If you want the best Ultrasone without paying the Edition 9 price, you'll want the 18G Jenna Labs Cryo cable which will add another degree of fluidity and transparency, for less than half the cost of the Edition 9. But, the 20G Vampire Wire is close, and makes for "best bang for the buck", so that is what I'm getting. If I didn't have Edition 9 already, I would do the 18G Jenna Labs, but I am saving up for an Edition 9 re-cable now.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 25, 2008 at 9:08 PM Post #22 of 477
ok, ´thx for reply, if I understand things right you would rate the alo780 over the pro2500 then... guess I could recable the pro to, but these alo780 looks really good, and if they are better then the pro2500 (to YOUR ears) (wich I though of getting before I saw this) I might reconsider it, the money different between th stock pro2500 and recabled alo780 isnt a problem.

Feb 25, 2008 at 9:35 PM Post #23 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I

I've had several people ask about the sound signature, is it more like Grado or Sennheiser. The answers to that are in the other HFI780 thread http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/so-...-780-a-289917/ so just read it all, listening to the people who own them, not the speculators and spectators.

In a nutshell, 780 are fast and energetic and forward vs slower and mellower HD600, but they are not the Grado "in your face" nor as "deep" as the HD600. However, the right source, amp and cable can get the HD600 to sound like that (fast and energetic). For instance, my re-cabled HD600 and re-cabled RS-2 actually sound very similar. Yet a stock HD600 vs stock RS-2 is more different, with the more energetic forward sound going to the RS-2. However, you would not mistake a 780 or HD600 or RS-2 for one another if you were blind folded, whether stock or re-cabled.

The 780 have more bass and treble than my re-cabled RS-2, but have a wider soundstage and are less in your face than the RS-2. But my recabled HF-1 have more bass and a deeper sound stage than the RS-2, but not a lot wider. So, even among Grados the sound can be different.

Herculean efforts by you to differentiate these headphones is something else....I know how different headphones sound such as the Grado and the Sennhieser. These differences are basic and anyone should come to understand those basic difference first before asking the more subtle changes between the character of the bass or highs or mids. I could not even begin to understand what you are saying unless I understood the basic sound profiles of each. Even knowing this I have learned that the Sennheiser HDxxx series actually changes it's total character after being balanced.

In other words thanks for all your efforts but without personal experience words can never adequately explain everything in this area.

Feb 26, 2008 at 12:23 AM Post #24 of 477
Ken, the work you have done on the Ultrasone HFI-780 sounds like it would be very exciting to listen too and hopefully own as well. I do have a question (more like a request) can the cables you use (18 Gauge Jena Labs or the 20 Gauge Vampire) be done with a cover and without the braid?

I am sure most like the way you are offer them but by covering them not only do you get another layer of protection but you also make them less "noticeable". Thanks.

Feb 26, 2008 at 1:09 AM Post #25 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ken, the work you have done on the Ultrasone HFI-780 sounds like it would be very exciting to listen too and hopefully own as well. I do have a question (more like a request) can the cables you use (18 Gauge Jena Labs or the 20 Gauge Vampire) be done with a cover and without the braid?

I am sure most like the way you are offer them but by covering them not only do you get another layer of protection but you also make them less "noticeable". Thanks.

Hey Mrarroyo,

The sleeving actually adds "scratchy" micro phonics when to touch or rub up on it up the length of the headphone cable and into the cup and ultimately of course noise. The other problem with the sleeving is well these wires are not small and when you add sleeving and then heatshrink over that you end up with a cable that no plug was designed to go over or fit. So I have to lathe out the connector of the mini plug, and I loath the lathe. (sorry I wanted to say that) Your right though some people would like the cable not looking so odd, and it does offer some abrasion protection. And to finally answer your question, yes it is possible to sleeve the cable in certain circumstances, depending on what plugs you choose and cable type.

Thanks
Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Feb 26, 2008 at 1:33 AM Post #26 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by KB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Mrarroyo,

The sleeving actually adds "scratchy" micro phonics when to touch or rub up on it up the length of the headphone cable and into the cup and ultimately of course noise. The other problem with the sleeving is well these wires are not small and when you add sleeving and then heatshrink over that you end up with a cable that no plug was designed to go over or fit. So I have to lathe out the connector of the mini plug, and I loath the lathe. (sorry I wanted to say that) Your right though some people would like the cable not looking so odd, and it does offer some abrasion protection. And to finally answer your question, yes it is possible to sleeve the cable in certain circumstances, depending on what plugs you choose and cable type.

Thanks
Ken

Thanks for the prompt response. I was thinking of 1/4" plug or perhaps the AKG K1000 4-plug. I wonder if the cloth type of sleeve that Audio Technica uses would reduce the microphonics added by the tekflex type of sleeves.

Feb 26, 2008 at 1:36 AM Post #27 of 477
Quote:

Thanks for the prompt response. I was thinking of 1/4" plug or perhaps the AKG K1000 4-plug. I wonder if the cloth type of sleeve that Audio Technica uses would reduce the microphonics added by the tekflex type of sleeves.

Your reading my mind with the quarter inch plug.

Feb 26, 2008 at 1:52 AM Post #29 of 477
Quote:

The 1/4 plug is do able. The cloth sleeving is better on the microphonics but tend to snag a lot. I do have the cloth stuff and can do.

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back