Ultrasone HFI780 ALO Mod
Jun 13, 2009 at 1:06 AM Post #437 of 477
I bought the ALO-780 from Ken last month. I'm listening via Larvy DA11 via my notebook right now in my office. The clarity of sound is stunning and I feel any music play via ALO-780 is very real and neutral. From my expenience in Hi-end system, it is approaching to this level of enjoyment with only 5 to 10% of investment. I highly recommend ALO-780to any new Head-fier.

Jul 31, 2009 at 3:11 PM Post #439 of 477
Ken, I am interested in getting the ALO 780. Can you advise what is the different between the 780 Modified using the 18awg ALO SXC Cryo wire vs the 780 Modified using a 18 gauge JenaLabs Cryo Wire cable. what are technical and sound differences. Thanks in advance.....

Jul 31, 2009 at 6:01 PM Post #440 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by valkirie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ken, I am interested in getting the ALO 780. Can you advise what is the different between the 780 Modified using the 18awg ALO SXC Cryo wire vs the 780 Modified using a 18 gauge JenaLabs Cryo Wire cable. what are technical and sound differences. Thanks in advance.....

Valkirie

I would check out the FAQs here There is a lot of subjectiveness to what you will hear vs what I might or someone else. However generally they are very similar, the JL wire has a wonderful mid- range and everything seems to have a slight DB bump, wonderful low end and control. The ALO SXC also wonderful bottom end and a bit faster than the JL wire. The SXC to me is a touch more cleaner with excellent decay, the JL is a touch more open. I think if you check the thread (I know its long) Headphone Addict did a fantastic impression of the SXC 780 mod, far more articulate that can be IMO.
Hope this helps,

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Aug 14, 2009 at 9:48 PM Post #442 of 477
I personally think that just about any full size can sounds better when a quality amp is used. Perhaps the exception being a Grado.

So yes the HFI-780 would benefit, but it will benefit more is you first burn it in for at least 450 hours. Cheers.

Aug 15, 2009 at 5:07 PM Post #445 of 477
The modded HFI-780 sounded similar to my Edition 9 (but with less detail and refinement) and the ALO Amphora was flat out the best amp I EVER HEARD for my Edition 9. I never got the try the ALO recabled HFI-780 with the Amphora that came after the 780 were gone.

Second to that was a Travagans Red with AD743 opamps, but the gap between those two amps with the Ultrasones was noticeable. However, I did get to try the Red with the Jenna Labs cabled 780, Vampire Wire cabled 780 and APS V3 cabled 780 and it did a stand up job with them.

Aug 15, 2009 at 7:03 PM Post #447 of 477
Earlier I tried the HFI-780 out of the Isabellina HPA and I was very happy w/ the sound. Totally surprised at how good that pair sounded.
wink.gif

Aug 16, 2009 at 4:53 AM Post #449 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by Radio_head /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you get to compare the amphora with the edition 9 vs the rudistor rpx-33?
I ask because most people I talked to said it was the best match for the edition 9's.

No, never heard a Rudistor amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back