Ultrasone Hifi 580 or Pro700 MK2
Dec 12, 2011 at 4:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Deemo

New Head-Fier
Guys,
  I am looking for headphones for my 16 year old son.  He has been asking for the Dre Beats Solo because his friends have them and after listening to my RE262's he really wants the beats simply because he listens to Rap music and likes to have his head rattled by bass.  I am leaning towards the Ultrasone 580's because of what I have read here.  My question is which headphone has the punchiest, hard hitting base of the three (Hifi 580, Pro700 Mk2, or the solo's). Keep in mind this is a 16 year old kid who judges good music on the amount of bass he can feel.  I heard such poor reviews on the Beats that I am reluctant to buy them for him.  I was able to listen to the beats at Bestbuy and they sound pretty good as far as bass goes and were much better than the Sony's that were also on display as bass headphones.  I can't help but think the Ultrasones or MK2's wood deliver the same amount of punch but with better quality mids and highs just in case he chose to listen to a different type of music.  Obviously a headphone can't Mach the base of his car system but he would like the next best thing.  Any suggestions?  Thanks in advance.

Dec 12, 2011 at 5:07 AM Post #3 of 7
The Sony's that I listened to at the store were XB500's and they didn't sound as good as the beats.  Maybe because I used my iPhone with the Sony's and the beats had their own display and were driven by something better than my iPhone.  The difference was very noticeable.

Dec 12, 2011 at 5:16 AM Post #4 of 7
... really? I thought the Solo sounded absolutely horrible. No treble and flabby muffled bass.

In that case, go for the Pro700 MK2.

Dec 12, 2011 at 10:46 AM Post #5 of 7
dont go for the xb500 if you dont have a good amp or eq, not that they need one, but they sound flabby and uncontrolled (bass) without EQ and good amp to tightens the bass.

the HFi580 has a slight harshness on the highs that your son might not be accustomed to.. I'd say the PRO700mkII, it will rattles his head alright..

jm2c

cheers,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back