ULTRASONE NEW ANNOUNCED HEADPHONE Signature Pro
Feb 16, 2012 at 9:37 PM Post #391 of 2,431

Quote:
Do these headphones have colored sound like I have heard Ultrasone's other headphones do? I am not certain but I might instead buy Beyerdynamic T5p's because Ultrasone hasn't been in the biz very long at all and Beyer has. Which pair of headphones has the least coloration of sound?

Haven't had a chance to compare these 2- -
Maybe will do it later

To me, what ultrasone famous for is not their ED8 and ED10, it is their ED7/9.
The first batch of ED9 sounds really good, you may have a try if you found somebody have it in their hand.

btw, anyone use this HP as gaming or watching movies?

Feb 16, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #392 of 2,431

Quote:
Do these headphones have colored sound like I have heard Ultrasone's other headphones do? I am not certain but I might instead buy Beyerdynamic T5p's because Ultrasone hasn't been in the biz very long at all and Beyer has. Which pair of headphones has the least coloration of sound?

the signature pros are not colored, actually pretty neutral. I felt like the pro900s were colored, the 2900s less so, i haven't heard the t5ps but i have heard the t1s (which were even more neutral than the signature pros, but it made them a little more boring - to me).

Feb 16, 2012 at 11:28 PM Post #394 of 2,431
You would have to go to sound science for more discussion, but I think the theory has more to do with looking at the driver as a piston creating sound waves than as an electrical component. 

Quote:

According to engineers, the break-in effect should not be happening, because if there is a break-in effect, that means there is a malfunction with the system.

For me, it doesn't make sense that the sound gets better when you use the headphone more often. Think about it for a second. Does it make sense for an electrical machine to get better as it's being used?

It's like saying a TV or a computer get's better as it's being used.

It's not like it's human muscle where you can build up.

Feb 17, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #395 of 2,431
Quote:
Haven't had a chance to compare these 2- -
Maybe will do it later

To me, what ultrasone famous for is not their ED8 and ED10, it is their ED7/9.
The first batch of ED9 sounds really good, you may have a try if you found somebody have it in their hand.

btw, anyone use this HP as gaming or watching movies?

The ED8 has had sold much more than the ED9 (ED8 is actually not limited edition except for the LE), and I've only seen a couple people here mention the ED7.
The ED10 is "famous" I guess for being one of the less successful flagship releases in recent memory.  To put it mildly.  

Feb 17, 2012 at 6:51 AM Post #396 of 2,431

Quote:
Quote:
The ED8 has had sold much more than the ED9 (ED8 is actually not limited edition except for the LE), and I've only seen a couple people here mention the ED7.
The ED10 is "famous" I guess for being one of the less successful flagship releases in recent memory.  To put it mildly.  

some people said that not all batches of ED9 had the same sound. I only heard of the first batch, and the sound was great, while how the others sound, I dunno- -.
ED8's price is much lower than ED9, the marketing strategy used in ED8 and its fancy look promote ED8 a lot.
Also, at the time ED9 starting to sell, there were not at many who willing to pay so much on HP (more Head-fier in these few years) and internet is more popular nowadays to promote or discussing on HP.

Feb 17, 2012 at 7:02 AM Post #397 of 2,431
I'd be willing to bet the differences in opinions on the Edition 9 had less to do with a difference between early and later batches, and more to do with differences in equipment and personal subjectivity. There's rarely if ever any agreement across the board for most things in this hobby.

The Edition 7 and Edition 9 are supposed to be the "same headphone," but apparently the damping scheme differs between the two, resulting in some minor differences. But even then, several who have listened to both have reported their sound to be mostly similar. The Edition 9 was created as a "cheaper Edition 7" after all. The Edition 8 is really the first Edition headphone that has been marketed explicitly as a portable, for portable use. It's the first Edition headphone to have an 1/8" jack instead of 1/4". It's also the first Edition series to be non-limited in production, though it does have a limited version with wood inlays.

With the Signature Pro, I think Ultrasone is responding to some of the criticisms they've faced with the Edition 8 and 10. For instance, while the Edition 8 is technically a portable, it really doesn't function well in that role IMO. The Signature Pro makes much more sense for portable use. Also they're trying to get away from the "all style and no substance" labels they've garnered due to the Edition series.

For all intents and purposes, the Signature Pro is an Edition headphone. It's the best flagship-level headphone Ultrasone has released in some time in my opinion. I just think they've strayed from calling it the Edition name for marketing reasons.

Feb 17, 2012 at 2:50 PM Post #398 of 2,431

Quote:
the signature pros are not colored, actually pretty neutral. I felt like the pro900s were colored, the 2900s less so, i haven't heard the t5ps but i have heard the t1s (which were even more neutral than the signature pros, but it made them a little more boring - to me).

t5p and t1 are different.  some similarity.  not quite.  low impedance doesn't mean you don't need an amp, you actually need a good amp.  low impedance only means you don't need the or as much power(voltage).  for low impedance you mostly need a lot of current.  so most average amp can't give you that.  by the way, signature pro actually sound incredibly great un-amp or under amp.  t5p on the other hand.  need some serious amplification

Feb 18, 2012 at 5:51 AM Post #400 of 2,431

Quote:
I'd be willing to bet the differences in opinions on the Edition 9 had less to do with a difference between early and later batches, and more to do with differences in equipment and personal subjectivity. There's rarely if ever any agreement across the board for most things in this hobby.

The Edition 7 and Edition 9 are supposed to be the "same headphone," but apparently the damping scheme differs between the two, resulting in some minor differences. But even then, several who have listened to both have reported their sound to be mostly similar. The Edition 9 was created as a "cheaper Edition 7" after all. The Edition 8 is really the first Edition headphone that has been marketed explicitly as a portable, for portable use. It's the first Edition headphone to have an 1/8" jack instead of 1/4". It's also the first Edition series to be non-limited in production, though it does have a limited version with wood inlays.

With the Signature Pro, I think Ultrasone is responding to some of the criticisms they've faced with the Edition 8 and 10. For instance, while the Edition 8 is technically a portable, it really doesn't function well in that role IMO. The Signature Pro makes much more sense for portable use. Also they're trying to get away from the "all style and no substance" labels they've garnered due to the Edition series.

For all intents and purposes, the Signature Pro is an Edition headphone. It's the best flagship-level headphone Ultrasone has released in some time in my opinion. I just think they've strayed from calling it the Edition name for marketing reasons.

Some real valid points, agreed.  One thing however,if I recall, the ED 7 was a thin sssibilant little monster while the ED 9 was a bass rich fiend.  Beside the failing of the ED 10 for seveal reasons, the ED 7 was also a failure in many respects.  Some early adopters of the ED 7 had good things to say about it but after the smoke cleared it was revealed it was an overall poor example of hp execution.

The ED 9 however garnered many accolades, rightfully so.  Seems that Ultrasone learned a few lessons from the ED 7 and made up for them with the ED 9, as perhaps they have learned with ED 10 with the creation of the Sig Pro....lol, so yes I agree.

Feb 18, 2012 at 6:02 AM Post #401 of 2,431

Quote:

Some real valid points, agreed.  One thing however,if I recall, the ED 7 was a thin sssibilant little monster while the ED 9 was a bass rich fiend.  Beside the failing of the ED 10 for seveal reasons, the ED 7 was also a failure in many respects.  Some early adopters of the ED 7 had good things to say about it but after the smoke cleared it was revealed it was an overall poor example of hp execution.

The ED 9 however garnered many accolades, rightfully so.  Seems that Ultrasone learned a few lessons from the ED 7 and made up for them with the ED 9, as perhaps they have learned with ED 10 with the creation of the Sig Pro....lol, so yes I agree.

The thing to consider however is: how many people have actually A/Bed the Edition 7 and 9 side-by-side? From the few A/B comparisons I've seen, they are actually quite similar. You are correct in that the Edition 9 is the preferable of the two in those cases usually, but my understanding from reading impressions is that the difference between the two isn't very big. Of course, the subjectivity of this hobby makes that difficult to assess just based on reading the thoughts of others, so who knows.

I will add however that the Edition 7 was released at a time when Ultrasone wasn't as well known, and it's price was so outrageously high that people were literally flabbergasted. If you go back and look at the few Edition 7 launch threads on head-fi, you'll see people were already pretty cynical about the Edition 7 before even listening to it. I think that could have a lot to do with the reports of the Edition 7 being so bad: far, far fewer people have listened to the Edition 7, and with it's ridiculous price and expectations surrounding it, I can see a biassed assessment not being out of the realm of reasonable possibilities.

When the Edition 9 was released later on, Ultrasone was going through a period of FOTM on head-fi. It was not only (relatively) less expensive, but many, many more people got to listen to it, and by that point the perception of Ultrasone had changed somewhat. I say somewhat, because the Edition 9 is still controversial. If you look at impressions, you'll see some people felt / feel it's a "sibilant little monster" too. There's usually more variation within groups than between groups, so to speak.

I think attitudes toward the Edition 10 lends a certain credence to the idea of history repeating itself. Like the Edition 7, Ultrasone released a ridiculously expensive headphone that underperformed for people's expectations. Perhaps they thought they could "get away with it" now that they've earned success with the Edition 9 and then Edition 8.

Feb 18, 2012 at 6:12 AM Post #402 of 2,431

Quote:

The thing to consider however is: how many people have actually A/Bed the Edition 7 and 9 side-by-side? From the few A/B comparisons I've seen, they are actually quite similar. You are correct in that the Edition 9 is the preferable of the two in those cases usually, but my understanding from reading impressions is that the difference between the two isn't very big. Of course, the subjectivity of this hobby makes that difficult to assess just based on reading the thoughts of others, so who knows.

I will add however that the Edition 7 was released at a time when Ultrasone wasn't as well known, and it's price was so outrageously high that people were literally flabbergasted. If you go back and look at the few Edition 7 launch threads on head-fi, you'll see people were already pretty cynical about the Edition 7 before even listening to it. I think that could have a lot to do with the reports of the Edition 7 being so bad: far, far fewer people have listened to the Edition 7, and with it's ridiculous price and expectations surrounding it, I can see a biassed assessment not being out of the realm of reasonable possibilities.

When the Edition 9 was released later on, Ultrasone was going through a period of FOTM on head-fi. It was not only (relatively) less expensive, but many, many more people got to listen to it, and by that point the perception of Ultrasone had changed somewhat. I say somewhat, because the Edition 9 is still controversial. If you look at impressions, you'll see some people felt / feel it's a "sibilant little monster" too. There's usually more variation within groups than between groups, so to speak.

I think attitudes toward the Edition 10 lends a certain credence to the idea of history repeating itself. Like the Edition 7, Ultrasone released a ridiculously expensive headphone that underperformed for people's expectations. Perhaps they thought they could "get away with it" now that they've earned success with the Edition 9 and then Edition 8.

Well put.

Feb 18, 2012 at 1:54 PM Post #403 of 2,431
Quote:

This reminds me of something that's been bugging me for a while.

The 7 was the first Edition 'phone. Right?  Does anyone know why they started with 7.  Also, why did they release the 9 before the 8?

Its not really a big deal but I've been wondering about it.  Or maybe I just have the timeline wrong...

Feb 18, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #404 of 2,431

Quote:
This reminds me of something that's been bugging me for a while.

The 7 was the first Edition 'phone. Right?  Does anyone know why they started with 7.  Also, why did they release the 9 before the 8?

Its not really a big deal but I've been wondering about it.  Or maybe I just have the timeline wrong...

You are correct. I honestly have no idea why they started with the number 7, skipped 8 to go to 9, and then went back to 8.

Just as an aside, I did a search on Google, and I came to an audiophile blog where someone described his listening impressions of the Edition 9. He called it a Sennheiser Orpheus killer. LOL.

Feb 18, 2012 at 3:01 PM Post #405 of 2,431
Quote:
You are correct. I honestly have no idea why they started with the number 7, skipped 8 to go to 9, and then went back to 8.

Thanks again.  You seem to have the answers to all my questions today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back