Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
May 22, 2012 at 1:59 AM Post #4,562 of 5,992
I'm about to order these as my first pair of high quality headphones! I've done a lot of research and I think I'm sold on these I found a pair online for just under $200.

I'm 18 and headed off to college soon. Can someone help me out in the setup department? I have no idea what to buy in terms of amplifiers and other accessories I may need. (No experience)
My only criteria is something that will be great for Hip-Hop (95% of what I'll be using these headphones for) and is cost efficient.

If anyone replies I'll do whatever I can to "owe you one" haha. Message me or quote me in the thread. Thank you, thank you, thank you to anyone that sends advice my way.

May 22, 2012 at 2:02 AM Post #4,563 of 5,992
any amp really will work for the pro 900. one of the ones by fiio are under 100 bucks and should drive them easily and you will notice an improvement in SQ

May 22, 2012 at 2:11 AM Post #4,564 of 5,992
Well, I just bought both a Silver Dragon and Blue Dragon. After reading many reviews and speaking to Drew, I simply could not come to a conclusion. I don't know how each will sound with my RoCoo P so I will try them out and send one back. I'll also take pictures. Here is Drew's Guide for cable buying: As you can see, the Black Dragon is, in general, a no-no with the PRO 900 since it is bottom heavy! I actually do wonder how that would sound, though. 
L3000.gif

Originally Posted by Drew Baird

[size=medium]Headphone Modification Details/Explanations[/size]
[size=small]In a better effort to help explain what is involved in modifying headphones for recabling with Moon Audio Headphone cables, we thought a section with pictures and details would help guide our customers. [/size]

Which cable to Choose?

That question is slightly more difficult to easily answer. Each headphone has it's own signature. Each headphone amp driving the headphone also has a sound signature. Each of our cables has it's own signature, but the effects can vary depending on which headphone & amp combination you pair it up with. To make it even more confusing some cables do better jobs with different music genres. But here is the good news, we can help guide you. I will try to give a generic description of what each of the cables we sell sounds like, but keep in mind this may slightly vary depending on what gear you mate it with.
[size=small]The Moon Audio Silver Dragon is a silver conductor based cable. It has lots of detail, great energy, fantastic soundstage with lots of air. It is a great candidate for headphones such as Sennheiser HD650 (a darker/warmer sounding can) or such headphones as the Hifiman and Audeze which are planner magnetic driver headphones. These are a couple of examples of warmer sounding headphones. The Moon Audio Silver Dragon is not a good choice for a thin sounding headphone like the AKG K701. Nor is it a good choice for a forward sounding Grado RS-1, which is very much like a studio monitor. An up close and personal headphone sound. However there are still folks out there that are detail freaks and what to push or tip things more forward. So we have actually recabled these 2 examples with the Moon Audio Silver Dragon. Like I said, it just depends on what you are trying to do. The Moon Audio Silver Dragon is also a good choice for a phone that has bloated bottom end like the Ultrasone Pro900. It will tighten the bass and make it more defined.[/size]

[size=small]The Moon Audio Blue Dragon headphone cable is a neutral, very natural sounding headphone witch is great for vocal performances. It is a good fit if you do not want to add coloration but want to improve clarity and dynamics. If you do not want to tip the headphone forward or back then this is a wonderful choice and is also the best bang for the buck cable on the market today. The Sennheiser HD600 has been one of the best phones for classical music because of the smoother warm sound. It is not as dark and laid back as the HD650 and so the neutrality of the Blue Dragon is the better fit for the HD600 signature. It is a great cable for a wide variety of music genres. If you are using a very warm tube amp and a forward headphone, this would be a good choice as well to keep the sound signature the same. It is also the most flexible of the fill size cables and makes a good choice for headphones that use a single entry connection point like the AKG K702 and many of the Ultrasone headphones.[/size]

[size=small]The Moon Audio Black Dragon builds upon the Blue Dragon signature but adds more bottom weight and a fuller sound. It is a perfect fit for phones that are thin sounding like the AKG K701. Or if you listen to Rap/Electronic/Pop where you want to increase bottom end. A great match for the Sennheiser HD800 which lacks bass and can be too tipped for ward on Solid State Headphone Amps. If you are a Bass head then this cable will improve the bass frequencies. It is not overly warm like the Cardas headphone cable. Just a fuller broader sound. If your headphone is low efficiency or power hungry like the AKG K1000 and Hifiman HE-6, the Moon Audio Black Dragon is an excellent choice as it uses the largest conductor size of the headphone cables we install. It is also tougher and a little more stiff than the Silver and Blue Dragon Headphone cables. But when I say stiff that is only in reference to our other cables. it is not really a stiff cable.[/size]

May 22, 2012 at 8:21 AM Post #4,566 of 5,992
Quote:
I'm about to order these as my first pair of high quality headphones! I've done a lot of research and I think I'm sold on these I found a pair online for just under $200.

I'm 18 and headed off to college soon. Can someone help me out in the setup department? I have no idea what to buy in terms of amplifiers and other accessories I may need. (No experience)
My only criteria is something that will be great for Hip-Hop (95% of what I'll be using these headphones for) and is cost efficient.

If anyone replies I'll do whatever I can to "owe you one" haha. Message me or quote me in the thread. Thank you, thank you, thank you to anyone that sends advice my way.

You just like me accept im 16 and didnt find mine for $200! I didnt buy mine yet but im getting the Fiio E17 since I will be using it with my phone, and then I will get O2 for at home use.

May 22, 2012 at 9:10 AM Post #4,567 of 5,992
Quote:
Well, I just bought both a Silver Dragon and Blue Dragon. After reading many reviews and speaking to Drew, I simply could not come to a conclusion. I don't know how each will sound with my RoCoo P so I will try them out and send one back. I'll also take pictures. Here is Drew's Guide for cable buying: As you can see, the Black Dragon is, in general, a no-no with the PRO 900 since it is bottom heavy! I actually do wonder how that would sound, though. 
L3000.gif

Looking forward to your comparison of the two.  I have the Blue Dragon with my Pro900 and love it.  You'll notice that it's a lot stiffer than the stock cable, which took me a bit getting used to.  The Blue Dragon made me a "believer" that cables do make a difference in SQ.

May 22, 2012 at 4:20 PM Post #4,568 of 5,992
Thanks. They shipped and will arrive Friday. Bass versus clarity seems to be the main issue here. Which one will sound better to me? Stay tuned! 
tongue_smile.gif

May 22, 2012 at 6:18 PM Post #4,569 of 5,992
These headphones seem to be very polarizing, and have a very abnormal turnover rate for the quality they are supposed to be at. Just an observation.

May 23, 2012 at 1:44 PM Post #4,570 of 5,992
Hi all, I'm about to buy an Ultrasone PRO 900, but I just need some final opinions before I hit the Buy Now button. :wink:

How are the PRO 900s in terms of bass quantity? I love huge bass in my headphones and whilst quality is really important, the sheer quantity is just as paramount to my listening experience. I've read a lot of reviews that have called the PRO 900 bass monsters, so I just need to get a comparative idea.

I own bass heavy cans such as the XB500, XB700, PRO700MK2 and HFI 580. How are the PRO 900s compared to these in terms of quantity? I have also listened to D2000 and DT770 and found the bass great in quality and clarity but lacking in quantity.

Thanks in advance! :)

May 23, 2012 at 2:12 PM Post #4,572 of 5,992
Quote:
Hi all, I'm about to buy an Ultrasone PRO 900, but I just need some final opinions before I hit the Buy Now button. :wink:

How are the PRO 900s in terms of bass quantity? I love huge bass in my headphones and whilst quality is really important, the sheer quantity is just as paramount to my listening experience. I've read a lot of reviews that have called the PRO 900 bass monsters, so I just need to get a comparative idea.

I own bass heavy cans such as the XB500, XB700, PRO700MK2 and HFI 580. How are the PRO 900s compared to these in terms of quantity? I have also listened to D2000 and DT770 and found the bass great in quality and clarity but lacking in quantity.

They won't have the bloated boomy bass of the XB500 and XB700. The quality is much much better, and in terms of quality/ quantity "ratio" it is very good. Compared to HFI 580 the Pro 900 has larger quantity (mid bass) and better quality. Depending on what you drive them with, if you find the quantity to be lacking, it can actually be fixed by a little bit of equalization with no distortion. I like to increase the sub bass a bit with mine sometimes, because the mid bass is very strong so the sub bass might seem to be lacking.

May 23, 2012 at 5:12 PM Post #4,573 of 5,992
I got one question and maybe some of you could give me your opinions :rolleyes:
I have decided that I want to try out and own a tube/hybrid amplifier that would pair well with the Pro900. The thing is I have tried searching at the full size headphone amp section and couldn't find anything too useful. The only option I have seen so far was Little Dot I+. I would preferably be looking to spend somewhere under 200£ (~300$), but like always bang for the buck matters :D
I mainly listen DnB, but rarely like to listen to Adele and sorts.
So any suggestions? :beerchug:

May 23, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #4,574 of 5,992
Quote:
They won't have the bloated boomy bass of the XB500 and XB700. The quality is much much better, and in terms of quality/ quantity "ratio" it is very good. Compared to HFI 580 the Pro 900 has larger quantity (mid bass) and better quality. Depending on what you drive them with, if you find the quantity to be lacking, it can actually be fixed by a little bit of equalization with no distortion. I like to increase the sub bass a bit with mine sometimes, because the mid bass is very strong so the sub bass might seem to be lacking.

My favorite can happens to be the HFI 580, as the bass is presented with a combination of good quantity and quality. It can be very punchy but retains an air of clarity that the XB500/700 are missing. I drive them from a Cowon Z2 paired with an E11 or ZO2.3. If the PRO 900 beats the HFI 580 in both quantity and quality, I think it could be a real winner.

Thanks! :)

May 23, 2012 at 6:25 PM Post #4,575 of 5,992
Quote:

I think you can press "buy" without any hesitations in these options, D2000 and HFI580 's bass responses are artificial according to Pro 900, they are like Dr Dre's Pro Ones,
You will feel the real and the shaky bass with pro 900, it's really fun, but besides bass response there are some other things; these cans go without amping
ok, but simple amping also drives them fine and with driving you can not save some mid tones (not bass) and especially women vocals sometimes,
i think it's due to unbalanced nature of the pro900s, i didnt try the kees mode, but if you mode it you can over come or you can buy another
brother for pro900 to balance it with rich mids and natural sound like Sennheiser hd600 or etc :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back