Unamped over-ear Sennheiser Momentum vs. amped Sennheiser HD600 - how much of a decrease in sound quality?
May 7, 2014 at 1:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

bigbenrfan99

100+ Head-Fier
How much of a drop in sound quality would there be if I went from my current setup (Little Dot DAC_I -> Schiit Vali -> HD600) to the Momentum over-ear with no DAC or amp, using only either my laptop or Sansa Clip Zip?  I am thinking about doing this because I could get back a lot of the money I spent while saving for a better system.  Any opinions are appreciated.

May 7, 2014 at 1:52 AM Post #2 of 3
I know this is a really subjective question, and that it is very difficult to quantify something like this, but I am interested in any opinions regarding my specific setup.  I should mention more about my preferences.  From what I have gathered, the Momentum has a similar sound signature, but with more bass.  I am fine with this, since I like the HD 600's sound signature.  However, I don't want to be overwhelmed with bass.  Obviously, the soundstage will be smaller on the Momentum.  This is not a huge deal to me necessarily, as I mostly listen to rock music.  Any thoughts?

May 7, 2014 at 9:11 AM Post #3 of 3
There is a difference;

Sound-stage
Imaging
Instrument-Separation
Control
Dynamics

Parenthetically,
if you listen to 64/128 kbps files from YouTube, it won't make the tiniest difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back