Unique Melody MEXT Announcement and Impression Thread
Jan 3, 2022 at 9:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 297

Unique Melody MEXT--A unique taste of the bone conduction driver​

At the beginning of 2022, we proudly announce our newest innovation, MEXT—A unique taste of the bone conduction driver.

As early as 2016, we started implementing bone-conducting in HiFi audio. Shortly afterward, we found two types of bone conduction drivers that can be utilized in HiFi audio. One is the vibration-based bone conduction driver (which was applied to MEST OG), and later we improved it to the house innovated dBC-s system (which was used in MEST MKII, Indigo, Mason). Another type of bone conduction driver is the coil-based bone conduction driver, which we called it OBC in our dictionary. The vibration-based drivers and the dBC-s by nature have higher definition and lower distortion. They provide a more immersive experience that has never been heard from other IEMs. The OBC driver, on the other hand, is slightly more colored, provides more bass impact, and it is easier to have a good synergy with the traditional air conducting drivers (i.e., DD and BA). Meanwhile, it is less picky to the fit and music source than the dBC-s. Thus, we decided to use the OBC driver in a more market-friendly model—MEXT.

EN_PC_MEXT_01.jpgEN_PC_MEXT_02.jpgEN_PC_MEXT_03.jpgEN_PC_MEXT_04.jpgEN_PC_MEXT_05.jpgEN_PC_MEXT_06.jpgEN_PC_MEXT_07.jpgEN_PC_MEXT_08.jpgEN_PC_MEXT_09.jpg

MSRP

Universal Fit: $1099

Custom Fit: $1399

Contact UM’s distributors or customer service for more details.

Last edited:
Unique Melody Feel free to reach out to us at any time! To reach me personally, leave me a PM or email me at umwang@uniquemelody.org and I'll get back to you as soon as I can! Stay updated on Unique Melody at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/UniqueMelodyIEM/ https://twitter.com/UniqueMelodyIEM http://en.uniquemelody.org/ uniquemelodyusa@gmail.com
Jan 4, 2022 at 9:46 AM Post #3 of 297
Really looking forward to a 1000 USD shootout between this, the 64 Audio U6T, and the Symphonium Helios...but doubt if that's gonna happen anytime.

Jan 4, 2022 at 10:35 AM Post #4 of 297
Nice to see this gets its own thread! I should have my custom MEXT by the end of the month, can't wait to share impressions and photos :)
How did you even know about it?

Jan 4, 2022 at 10:39 AM Post #5 of 297
How did you even know about it?
Rumor goes faster than my fingers.

Really looking forward to a 1000 USD shootout between this, the 64 Audio U6T, and the Symphonium Helios...but doubt if that's gonna happen anytime.
I am pretty sure MEXT and U6T will show up on Canjam NYC.

Unique Melody Feel free to reach out to us at any time! To reach me personally, leave me a PM or email me at umwang@uniquemelody.org and I'll get back to you as soon as I can! Stay updated on Unique Melody at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/UniqueMelodyIEM/ https://twitter.com/UniqueMelodyIEM http://en.uniquemelody.org/ uniquemelodyusa@gmail.com
Jan 4, 2022 at 11:17 AM Post #7 of 297
UM announced it in China before hand, managed to place an order from Musicteck when they first became available.
Interesting, on the MT website it says preorders.

Jan 4, 2022 at 4:44 PM Post #10 of 297
Wondering how these are more market friendly (relative pricing? Tuning?)

Really curious about the science behind these conduction drivers and their ability to transmit bass/enhance DD bass.

Hopefully can jam NYC is still on!

Jan 4, 2022 at 5:24 PM Post #12 of 297
Wondering how these are more market friendly (relative pricing? Tuning?)
I assume this language is meant to imply they are lower cost than their own and competitors offerings, and therefore more accessible to the market, without using the word "cheap".

Jan 4, 2022 at 7:17 PM Post #13 of 297
really want to know the sound compare to EE EVO

Jan 5, 2022 at 4:49 PM Post #15 of 297
Since I had the opportunity to audition UM MEXT for a few days, Thanks to Musicteck, I decided to post a little write up about it. But as soon as I mentioned that I heard MEXT, I got a ton of questions asking me how it compares to Mest MKII and Indigo. So, I decided to write something different from my usual mini-reviews, breaking down the comparison between these into Bass/Lower Mids/Upper Mids/Treble and Soundstage categories. Please keep in mind, when I say “=” or ”>”, I don’t mean it as one being the same or better than the other. It is all relative to how I hear it, and under each category I have a short write up with a more detailed explanation.

Mest MKII vs Indigo vs MEXT

um-mext-05.jpgum-mext-06.jpgum-mext-07.jpg

Bass: MEXT > Indigo = MKII

When it comes to bass comparison between these 3, it is all about the perception. MEXT bass sounds more elevated, with more weight and stronger impact due to its warmer tonality, less forward mids, and smoother treble. Indigo and MKII have similar low end response and due to their more revealing tonality, as well as Indigo's more forward mids, their bass perception is lower in quantity when compared to MEXT.

Lower Mids: MEXT > Indigo > MKII

In terms of the amount of body and tonality, MEXT lower mids are the fullest and the warmest in comparison to Indigo lower mids being a little north of neutral and MKII being closer to neutral.

Upper Mids: Indigo > MEXT = MKII

Indisputably, Indigo has more forward upper mids which shape its sound sig to be more balanced. MEXT and MKII upper mids are nearly the same in quantity, but MEXT sounds smoother because of its less aggressive treble, while MKII upper mids/vocals are brighter and more revealing due to its more energetic treble.

Treble: MKII > Indigo > MEXT

MKII treble is the brightest, being more crisp and more energetic. Indigo treble quantity is the same as MKII, but due to a more forward upper mids, its treble sounds less aggressive. MEXT is the smoothest due to a more attenuated mid-treble response since it is lacking EST drivers. MEXT treble is not rolled off or “missing”, it's still detailed and has a good definition, presence, and clarity. But its tonality is noticeably smoother in comparison to Indigo and MKII, making MEXT less fatigue in longer listening sessions.

Soundstage: MEXT = Indigo > MKII

MEXT soundstage is as wide open and as holographic as Indigo, but it also adds a little bit of reverberation effect on top of it, especially noticeable when you hit the pause in the middle of the playback when you hear the tail of the reverb. In comparison, MKII soundstage sounds a bit intimate due to having more depth than width. By itself, MKII soundstage is wide, but not on the same level as MEXT and Indigo.

um-mext-01.jpg
um-mext-02.jpgum-mext-03.jpgum-mext-04.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back