Universal iem for stage?
Apr 30, 2013 at 7:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

tsiu6

New Head-Fier
Howdy!!

I hope everyone is doing well. :)

I had an advice question. I am looking for a stage iem coming out of an aviom system. I have something around 250-300 to do it with, so obviously not ciem money yet :/. I am looking at the shure se 425s because they seem fairly well built and the cables are removable, and non removable cables scare me a little bit haha. Anyways, I am looking either used or new so other things popping up in my search are westone um3, um3x, and a few shure e5s, also an occasional westone w4. Unfortunately there is nowhere around me to audition them, that I know of.

I will be using these for general listening as well. I do a lot of singer songwriter sounds, so male and female vocals with guitars, light percussion and maybe mandolin or string section. I will occasionally be with a full band, so instrument seperation is appreciated.

In terms of sound signature, I prefer a balanced sound, maybe with a bump in mids and clear, well defined bass. The only thing worrying me about the 425s is that they are supposed to have rolled off the bass and treble, which concerns me a bit. I have done a lot of reading on these forums, but I just seem to find more options to spend money on haha. Any advice?

Trevor

Apr 30, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #2 of 5
SE425 may be too midrange based.  Bass is weak.

I am very confident in saying that the UM3X is THE BEST universal stage monitor ever made.  Nothing is even really close.....if it is for stage monitoring and what you are wanting it to do  (good bass, clarity).

Apr 30, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #3 of 5
ASG-1/2 were designed as stage monitors.

The ASG-1s have treble roll off, but with two tweeters in the ASG-2s that shouldn't be an issue. 

The Westone UM3X is a great choice as well.

I wouldn't recommend the 425s for that purpose.

Apr 30, 2013 at 10:40 PM Post #4 of 5
Westone UM3X, another vote!  It's the perfect universal stage/monitoring IEM.

Apr 30, 2013 at 10:55 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:
Howdy!!

I hope everyone is doing well.
smily_headphones1.gif

I had an advice question. I am looking for a stage iem coming out of an aviom system. I have something around 250-300 to do it with, so obviously not ciem money yet :/. I am looking at the shure se 425s because they seem fairly well built and the cables are removable, and non removable cables scare me a little bit haha. Anyways, I am looking either used or new so other things popping up in my search are westone um3, um3x, and a few shure e5s, also an occasional westone w4. Unfortunately there is nowhere around me to audition them, that I know of.

I will be using these for general listening as well. I do a lot of singer songwriter sounds, so male and female vocals with guitars, light percussion and maybe mandolin or string section. I will occasionally be with a full band, so instrument seperation is appreciated.

In terms of sound signature, I prefer a balanced sound, maybe with a bump in mids and clear, well defined bass. The only thing worrying me about the 425s is that they are supposed to have rolled off the bass and treble, which concerns me a bit. I have done a lot of reading on these forums, but I just seem to find more options to spend money on haha. Any advice?

Trevor

First off - http://www.head-fi.org/t/596233/buying-portable-or-in-ear-headphones-seeking-guidance-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here
http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-278-iems-compared-astrotec-am-800-dx-60-added-03-31-13-p-659

Definitely like the SE425s for balance, but yeah, if extension is a concern I'd look elsewhere. Seems a removable cable would be preferred, or are you adamant about having those? 

Just going to be sounding repetitive here though, but if you are tracking and need to keep up with each part of the mix the UM3X are very clear-cut about this and the presentation is highly diffuse, perfect for these circumstances.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back