Universals Modded with Recable or Removable Cables! ***Sony MH1 Recable added! (Fischer Audio DBA-02, Brainwavz B2, UM3X, Sleek Audio)
Apr 8, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #31 of 68
I'm interested to see what he can do with a metal housing (with a small cable entry point).. i.e. my Fischer Audio Silver Bullet.

Only one way to find out.. 
wink_face.gif

Apr 8, 2012 at 2:50 PM Post #32 of 68
I have an opened Silver Bullet, doing this mod should be easy on them. I do think the shure pins will be more proper for them because they may match the entry point, you can buy those via taobao-buying-agent.

Apr 21, 2012 at 9:13 AM Post #37 of 68
So finally, some quick comparisons re: DBA-02s with Silver Dragon cable vs DIY cable (see Shotgunshanes initial posts for pics).

As a side note, the SD fits the DBAs well enough, but not perfectly. This is not as extreme as what Oddsration experienced with the B2, and to be honest, the gap is small enough not to cause concerns regarding the connectors being damaged.

Going from SD to DIY, the SD appears to add space between instruments, improving separation. Treble and micro-detailing are noticeably more prominent, but unfortunately, at the expense of bass punch / quantity. Transparency and soundstage are improved also by the SD.

Interestingly, I actually prefer the DIY cable, and after making several comparisons, put the SD on my ASG-1s full time. This is for 2 reasons: the bass response with the DIY is noticeably fuller, and the DBAs need all the help they can get with that. Also, to my ears, the DBAs forward treble and aggressive detailing do not need to be made any more prominent, as with the SD, which improves upon quality, but impacts negatively on the overall balance.

In summary, I'd say that the SDs produces a more technically impressive sound, exaggerating the DBAs analytical sig, which impacts negatively on bass quantity and overall creates a less cohesive sound.

Hope this is useful.

Apr 21, 2012 at 9:29 AM Post #38 of 68

Quote:

Hope this is useful.

nice, i f i could just find a place in the UK to do it at a decent price! You couldn't say how the SD effects the ASG-1 (on the AS thread as it would be off topic here)!

Shame about the negative effects son bass i think....

Apr 21, 2012 at 1:24 PM Post #39 of 68

Quote:

nice, i f i could just find a place in the UK to do it at a decent price! You couldn't say how the SD effects the ASG-1 (on the AS thread as it would be off topic here)!

Shame about the negative effects son bass i think....

Cogsand gears and I are both based in the UK. He recently inquired about Brians p&p prices. I'm sure he'd let you know if you PM'd him.

My perceptions of the DBA + SDs bass may be based more on the treble advancing forward, as oppose to the bass receding, creating an illusion of less bass. Still, the resulting difference in signature / balance is enough to put me off. There are phones that benefit from treble being brought a tad more forward, but the DBAs are not one of them, at least in the context of my preferences. The ASG-1 however, do benefit from this, and the SD cable has not left them for many weeks now! Will post impressions in the ASG-1 thread when I get the chance.

Apr 21, 2012 at 2:38 PM Post #40 of 68

Quote:

Cogsand gears and I are both based in the UK. He recently inquired about Brians p&p prices. I'm sure he'd let you know if you PM'd him.

My perceptions of the DBA + SDs bass may be based more on the treble advancing forward, as oppose to the bass receding, creating an illusion of less bass. Still, the resulting difference in signature / balance is enough to put me off. There are phones that benefit from treble being brought a tad more forward, but the DBAs are not one of them, at least in the context of my preferences. The ASG-1 however, do benefit from this, and the SD cable has not left them for many weeks now! Will post impressions in the ASG-1 thread when I get the chance.

I might give him a PM but i think id rather wait till my DBAs give way as there doing alright at them moment.  God i need money because now i want a silver dragon if it adds treble because thats all i need on my ASG-1s! I need money bad....

May 12, 2012 at 11:57 PM Post #42 of 68
Looks like a great job, good stuff. 
normal_smile .gif
 I see you opted for pins! I had Shure compatible connector installed on mine earlier this year.

What cable are you using for the W4 now, I think you will be surprised how good the W4 can get with the right cable, it is such a revealing IEM, having said that, I would avoid a pure silver though 
ksc75smile.gif
!

May 13, 2012 at 12:33 AM Post #43 of 68
@spkrs01  Thanks, I think that Brian did a really great job. No silver is involved in the cable I'm using, too expensive 
wink_face.gif
.  It's a gold plated Cu cable that I Chris_Himself build me almost a year ago for a different purpose and with the W4 this match up sounds absolutely stunning and I can only agree with what you said about the W4 being a very revealing IEM.

May 14, 2012 at 12:10 PM Post #44 of 68
After seeing shotgunshane's success with this mod, I had Brian convert my previously re-cabled DBA-02's with Westone-type sockets. I also wanted to maintain the mic/remote function that was the reason behind the original recable (using a MEElec M9P cable that had become even more unruly then shotgunshane's set in the OP), so we agreed to mod a Shure CBL-M-K mic/remote cable to Westone plugs.

Brian's work was flawless and very quick as others have experienced. He did note that the Shure cables seemed to reduce the bass from the DBA's, which is not a good change for them! As an alternative, he suggested the Westone EPICS MICS cable. The Westone cable returned the DBA sound signature to its original balanced state.

The Westone twisted cable is beautifully supple and well stress-relieved with a very small but robust feeling mic/remote module. The Shure cable in comparison is quite rubbery and the mic/remote is huge - it just barely fits in a typical round IEM case. I was also surprised that the pushbutton functions on the Shure did not work consistently between my various iPods, iPad and Blackberry, but the Westone pushbutton works great on all those DAP's.

May 14, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #45 of 68
Quote:
I originally contacted Brian on March 6 and today, March 16, I received back the completed mod.  An original Fischer Audio DBA-02 with fully functional removable cables!

​
The cable in the following pictures, is the new cable Brian made.  I'll need to experiment with the heat shrink he applied on the connectors to get the best fit for my ears.  All the pictures so far are compliments of Brian.

More thoughts and pictures to follow, once I've spend some time with it.

I hate to bring up a necro thread. But I need to make myself a removable cable for my Baldur I just purchased for my DIY Custom IEM.  How were you able to make the female plug in for the cable???  The two little connectors are so small.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back