Unopened (Mint) Sony MDR-CD3000: Should I open it?
Nov 14, 2012 at 9:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

gzone3lement

third_eye! You are a stud!
My new pair of headphones will arrive tomorrow. I have been looking at this pair for a couple of years, and I finally seized the opportunity. I am very surprised that this rare discontinued headphones still lurks around. I have heard about it. I have read about it. I listened to it once and I enjoyed it (without being able to compare my AH-D7000).

I purchased it with the intention of viewing it as a collector's item. However, I am very curious in how the baby R10 stack up against the up-to-date headphones. Should I open it?

If I do choose to open it and choose to keep it for a very long time, would it be wise to make an investment in purchasing the genuine hard-to-find ear pads too? Or would the replacement pads sold in eBay be good enough?

Nov 14, 2012 at 9:48 PM Post #2 of 31
First world problem.

Seriously though. If it really kills you to not be able to listen to them, I would just make sure you take extra caution when opening it, and when you're done, put everything back exactly the way it was before. I don't think a future buyer would really care if there is some missing tape on it, as long as it is in mint condition, packaged exactly the way it was when it left the factory.

Nov 15, 2012 at 2:04 AM Post #4 of 31
Quote:
If I do choose to open it and choose to keep it for a very long time, would it be wise to make an investment in purchasing the genuine hard-to-find ear pads too? Or would the replacement pads sold in eBay be good enough?

First of all : congratulations for this purchase. I saw them on the internet but you were faster than me.

I'm not sure anybody could still find genuine CD3000 earpads nowadays. So you'll probably have to buy replacement pads on eBay.
I know 2 kinds of ear pads : the first ones I bought are resistant, very firm, and not very comfortable. I tested the following ones :
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Earpad-ear-pads-replacement-for-Sony-mdr-cd1000-mdr-cd3000-headphones-/170877609697?pt=US_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item27c91966e1
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacement-earpad-For-Sony-MDR-CD1000-MDR-CD3000-earpads-Black-earbuds-/140832847600?pt=US_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item20ca4ab6f0

The second ones are softer, even though not as pleasant as the original ones.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ear-Pad-Pads-Cup-Cups-Cushions-Earpad-for-Sony-MDR-CD1000-CD3000-Headphone-/130790743400?pt=AU_Electronics_Portable_Audio_Accessories&hash=item1e73bc5d68
The holes for the ears on the last ones are just a little smaller than those on the first ones, so it depends on you which ones you'll choose.

All of them fits the CD750, CD850, CD950 and CD1000 as well.

Enjoy your new CD3000 !!!

Nov 16, 2012 at 2:44 AM Post #5 of 31
Curiosity killed the cat. Brand new, barely touched. The first owner only opened the box and probably touched it once. He said the package was delivered to him in 2004 and left it alone for 8 years. I have his original receipt. As the new owner, I will take good care of it. Here are some quick photos:

Original box tape already ripped off.

Original box with original address.

Clean headphone case.

Original internal packaging, unopened manual, and probably previously barely-touched headphones

Original cable tie untouched and nicely tucked in.

It turns out the headphones is legit. I am very fortunate to be an owner with a mint pair of this collector's item.

Nov 16, 2012 at 3:27 AM Post #6 of 31
So... is it working?
tongue.gif

Nov 16, 2012 at 3:42 AM Post #8 of 31
As a CD3000 owner, I think it would be a shame if you didn't use them, and put them in their box for years.
Or if you're a collector and really want to keep them new, as least try to get another pair to use that one. Their sound is really great, and it's really hard to find closed headphones sounding like them.
What you also could do is take many high resolution photos of them from many different angles and with a good light while they are barely touched.

Nov 16, 2012 at 10:00 AM Post #9 of 31
Could you please send us high resolution pictures of the ear pads, in order to see the differences between original Sony ear pads, and replacement ear pads ?

Nov 23, 2012 at 3:01 PM Post #10 of 31
Here you go!

Not sure if I can take high resolution photos at the moment. This is the best I can do at this time.

I burned in my CD3000 for over 300 hours. The sound difference is substantially different. The soundstage went slightly deeper. The bass improved in clarity. The trebles is less bright than at first listen, but it still is a bit bright.

I have been listening to both my Denon AH-D7000 and my Sony MDR-CD3000 back and forth. It reminds me of my nightmare comparing the D5000 and the D7000. This time, it's difficult for me to compare which one is better. I want to keep both. I'm considering changing the stock cable to Moon Audio Silver Dragon. I heard that using this cable brings the CD3000 to a totally different level.

Nov 25, 2012 at 4:44 PM Post #11 of 31
Quote:
Here you go!

Not sure if I can take high resolution photos at the moment. This is the best I can do at this time.

I burned in my CD3000 for over 300 hours. The sound difference is substantially different. The soundstage went slightly deeper. The bass improved in clarity. The trebles is less bright than at first listen, but it still is a bit bright.

I have been listening to both my Denon AH-D7000 and my Sony MDR-CD3000 back and forth. It reminds me of my nightmare comparing the D5000 and the D7000. This time, it's difficult for me to compare which one is better. I want to keep both. I'm considering changing the stock cable to Moon Audio Silver Dragon. I heard that using this cable brings the CD3000 to a totally different level.

Thanks for the picture.

If you want to know which one is better (AH-D7000 or CD3000), the best way is to listen to good SACD of classical music, i.e. with real instruments and with better quality than just a CD.
I've been thinking for a long time that CDs were the best possible quality for music. I recently discovered that it was totally wrong.
SACD are much better than CD (and some SACD are much better than others). I even discovered that vinyles are better than CD. The problems with vinyles are the "cracks" you often hear.
Anyway, if you want to enjoy your CD3000, give him a good music source : good SACD, a good SACD player and a good amplifier. Then you will be able to hear the difference, and make your choice.
There is no interest in listening to MP3 or synthetic music with a CD3000.

Nov 25, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #12 of 31
Quote:
Thanks for the picture.

If you want to know which one is better (AH-D7000 or CD3000), the best way is to listen to good SACD of classical music, i.e. with real instruments and with better quality than just a CD.
I've been thinking for a long time that CDs were the best possible quality for music. I recently discovered that it was totally wrong.
SACD are much better than CD (and some SACD are much better than others). I even discovered that vinyles are better than CD. The problems with vinyles are the "cracks" you often hear.
Anyway, if you want to enjoy your CD3000, give him a good music source : good SACD, a good SACD player and a good amplifier. Then you will be able to hear the difference, and make your choice.
There is no interest in listening to MP3 or synthetic music with a CD3000.

I'll see if I can hook up my roommate's PS3 to my gear. I'm sure there are some SACD's in the house.

Jan 12, 2013 at 4:11 AM Post #14 of 31
Hi,

you should have a look at this video about the CD 3000 :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJh8B1QfEn0

Dave Rat - The Mighty Headphone Quest Part 1

The CD3000 are neutral headphones, very well adapted to real instruments listening, so if you listen to classical music, it's one of the best.

Jan 16, 2013 at 1:21 AM Post #15 of 31
Quote:
Hi,

you should have a look at this video about the CD 3000 :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJh8B1QfEn0

Dave Rat - The Mighty Headphone Quest Part 1

The CD3000 are neutral headphones, very well adapted to real instruments listening, so if you listen to classical music, it's one of the best.

I saw this video a while back. Very impressive.

Hm, it's sounds very euphonic to me. For sure, it's sounds great in every genre I throw at. The genre selection in the CD3000 is more versatile than in the D7000. Sound details are much crisper and cleaner in the D7000 though. I can't really say which headphone is better. I like both of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back