[UPDATE] Torn between AKG-K550 and Denon AH-D2000.
May 13, 2012 at 11:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

xAznxStylezx

New Head-Fier
[UPDATE]
Friend has convinced me to spend more since I plan to use these for as long as I can, and that $160 extra isn't that much over a span of 3-5 years.

I'm currently deciding between the AKG-K550's and the Denon AH-D2000's. Does anyone have any comments about these? Or other pairs of headphones in the $200-300 range.

I like the looks of the K550's a lot more then the AH-D2000's, but in terms of sound quality I have no idea which is better.

Again, these will not be used with an amp, and will be powered through my iPod Video (5th gen, wolfson dac).

Been reading a lot of reviews but couldn't quite find one that compared both of them coming from someone who owned both.

For those who have had both before, which did you prefer and why?

I've also tried my friends ATH-M50's (white box) and they sounded pretty good. Would these be better then either of the Ultrasones?

I plan on using these mainly for music, but do also plan on using them for my PC while gaming. Probably 70% music, 30% gaming.

Music genres I listen to are (in order from most to least): House, Dubstep, RnB, and soft rock here and there.

I would like to use these cans outside of my house, so if you have something else to recommend please keep this in mind (would like to stick with my current choices, unless you think greatly your suggestion would be better).

I will not be using an amp with these headphones (although I may think about getting a Fiio E6/E11 or something down the road).

Thanks.

May 13, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #2 of 17
If gaming is important, you should try the PRO version. Better soundstage, and nice bass. 

The HFI-580 bass response is punchier. 

May 14, 2012 at 7:00 PM Post #3 of 17
I haven't owned the PRO-550, but I did own a PRO-900.  I don't think the sound quality is comparable, (hated them, in case you were wondering) but in terms build they're the same housing, yes?  While the pads themselves were decently comfortable and superior to the HFI series, finding the proper positioning for S-Logic was a hassle for me due to the large circular cups.  They needed very specific placement to achieve any sort of soundstage benefit and otherwise just sounded muddled and incoherent.  As I remember it, what I determined to be the correct positioning on my particular head was also pretty damn unnatural feeling.

Conversely, I've found the cup design on the HFI series (owned the 780 and am currently selling a 580... sorry for the shameless plug) and the Edition 8 to be fool proof.  No mucking about with the headband required, just put it on naturally and you're good to go.

May 14, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #4 of 17
I just had these both for about a month. After burning in both (which they do change a good amount), my thoughts:

580s have a cramped soundstage.
580s are artificially boomy.

The Pro 550s are a better in every way, except possibly isolation, comfort, and size (they are noticeably bigger than the 580s). They'll go just as low as the 580s if pushed down there, but are "setup" to be more neutral. I listen to a lot of trance and house, and the 580s were overwhelmingly bassy in my opinion to the point of being sloppy.

In the end, I chose neither and went for the AKG K550. The difference in quality (sound and build) is immense, as it should be for double the price.

May 14, 2012 at 7:33 PM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

In the end, I chose neither and went for the AKG K550. The difference in quality (sound and build) is immense, as it should be for double the price.

Im curious about the K550. 

Probably a nice contender for the Pro550? 

@curly, I never had problems with placement (pro900) they sound fine. 

May 14, 2012 at 8:00 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Im curious about the K550. 

Probably a nice contender for the Pro550? 

@curly, I never had problems with placement (pro900) they sound fine.

The Ultrasones have a hump ~ 80 Hz which gives it extra bass "loudness", but it's not clean bass. The AKGs are much tighter, and extend much lower in the sub-bass frequencies.

If you can, check out this track (along w/ the rest of the soundtrack), it's what "sold" me on the AKGs: 

The AKGs would hang with every bass note, and reproduce it clearly, while the Ultrasones would boom at the upper notes and just fall off in the lower notes.

There are several people in the K550 thread with small heads who have issues with getting a good seal (which seems to be mandatory for good bass performance).

May 14, 2012 at 11:04 PM Post #8 of 17
@ricerocket
Were they large to the point they would look funny in public? I've seen some videos of them on people and they didn't look too big (comparing to ATH-M50's).

Does anyone have suggestions in the 100-200 range?

May 15, 2012 at 12:22 AM Post #9 of 17
They're like Discmans on your head. Depending on the size of your head of course.

I think the Denon D2000 gets thrown out as a suggestion a lot in that price range, as does the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro.

May 15, 2012 at 12:28 AM Post #10 of 17
Both are very similar (I've owned both, still own Pro 550's).  580's are more portable and have slightly better sound sig for dubstepp & D&B type genres.  Throw in vocals or want more soundstange and 550's take over.  Gaming 550's are also much better.  Can't go wrong with either IMO for <$150

May 15, 2012 at 12:34 AM Post #11 of 17
I meant the 550s :p but you are making me want to grab a pair of k550's..

I decided to widen my range to the next level, and was thinking about either Ultrasone Pro 750's or HFI 780's ($80 increase).

Do you think the K550's are worth the extra money? (pretty much $200 increase from 550,s or $60 more from 750's.) :T
^I also plan to use this without an amp, using a iPod Video (5th gen with wolfson dac)

May 15, 2012 at 1:02 PM Post #12 of 17
Ha. I know how easily budgets get thrown out the window.

In the grand scheme of things, I didn't feel like $300 was that much since I'd be using these 35-40 hours a week. Of course, that's a slippery slope, but that's how I talked myself into it. :)

I think the Denons would satisfy most, but having heard the AKGs and how crisp and clean it reproduces bass and sub-bass, I would consider almost everything as muddy in comparison. The Denons would certainly be warmer and have more bass impact, but the AKGs are definitely cleaner.

You won't know what you like till you hear it really, so get them both on Amazon, return the one you don't like. No restocking fee, it's just $5 to return (or $0 if you lie and say it's defective, but that's sort of scummy). 

May 15, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #13 of 17
I would love to do that, but I live in Canada and Amazon.ca doesn't have the K550's listed.

I've decided to go with the K550's and will be purchasing them from here, it's the cheapest I've found anywhere, and they're located in Canada!

I've read a lot between the K550's and the D200's and people say the bass on the denons are a little too much.

Regardless of that, I don't think I would like the double wire into the headset of the Denons. Aesthetic appeal is also a big thing to me and the K550's just look so much better imo.

Thanks ricerocket, when I receive them I'll let you know what I think about them. :)

May 15, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #14 of 17
I think you made a good choice.

For music that is already bass heavy (i.e. most electronic music), the AKGs are great and don't need the extra coloring that the Denons give. Movies, movie soundtracks, classical, and such are also wonderful.

For genres that focus more on vocals and lacks a heavy bass line, the warming effect the Denons apply would probably enhance it, but I don't do enough listening there myself to warrant owning them.

May 15, 2012 at 5:01 PM Post #15 of 17
Oh..i thought you were going to choose the ultrasone. Let us know once you receive the Akg. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back