Upgrade from Sennheiser 555
May 18, 2013 at 4:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Psykil

New Head-Fier
Hi guys. This my first thread. I will try to be specific on my question and current equipment.  I am a pc gamer/geek first off.  I dont mind spending money on electronics, but do have a limited budget.
  I have an x-fi fatality sound card and a nvidia gtx 570 video card on my pc.  I have a hdmi cable from the video card to my Pioneer vsx 1021 reciever and a optical/toslink cable from the sound card to the same reciever.  I usually use the sound card for music and video card for game sound.  I have 7 polk monitor/tsi speakers and an entry level velodyne sub.  And now we come to the Sennheiser 555 which I may be upgrading.  I will also say that I am in no hurry and for the most part the 555s fill my needs but I am always looking at the next upgrade.  My budget is 500 bux.
  I guess my first question would be do I need an amp before I even start looking at new cans.  And if so would I see any improvement in the 555s with said amp or would it only benefit better cans. 
  If i need an amp to move forward any suggestions would be appreciated.  If i dont that is great and what headphones do you guys recommend.  I like the open back of the 555s but would be completely open to closed back.  I do all my jamming in my man cave so dont have to worry about leakage. 
  I listen to mostly rock, but some rap hip hop whatever.  Also for the music i really like I do have it either on cd or .flac files.  thx

May 18, 2013 at 7:12 PM Post #2 of 4
I would suggest moving up in the Senheiser line. Go for a HD580/600/650.

Buy the headphones before a dac/amp.. If you feel you need one later, I highly recommend the E17 or ODAC and O2.

May 19, 2013 at 1:19 AM Post #3 of 4
Glad to hear i can get the headphones before the amp.  I was thinking 650s .  I was actually thinking 650s 3  years ago when i got the 555s but i chickened out lol.  Also i got a deal on the 555s that i couldnt pass up at the time.

May 19, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:
Glad to hear i can get the headphones before the amp.  I was thinking 650s .  I was actually thinking 650s 3  years ago when i got the 555s but i chickened out lol.  Also i got a deal on the 555s that i couldnt pass up at the time.

The 650's are very nice. I give a slight nod to the 580/600 due to it's more neutral sound, but the 600 and the 650 have much more in common than they do apart. The 650s are colored, but in such a slight and nice way that I do not think it would ever actually stick out or bother me on it's own, only when directly compared to the 600 and only on certain tracks :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back