Upgrade Help Needed
Dec 4, 2012 at 11:53 PM Post #16 of 27
So the HE400 would be a step up from the dt990 and would fit my criteria (besides being hard to drive)? Sorry to pester with so many questions, but I won't be able to listen to the headphones before buying them and would like to maximize my purchase. I would like the best I can get for around $500. The dt990 seems to fit the bill, but if there's anything better please let me know.

To be honest I am not really familiar with Hifiman and planar magnetic headphones in general 
frown.gif

Dec 5, 2012 at 12:04 AM Post #17 of 27
Thanks for that link Doc-holliday, that's a very interesting read. So it appears that the HE400 is better than the dt990, which is better than the m50 (for what I need).

I also get what flatmap is saying. I don't necessarily hate the sound of the m50, I want something that preserves the qualities of the m50, but gives me a better soundstage, which is lacking there. In that sense that would be a clear update - similar bass and sense of fun, plus better separation and soundstage...I will keep the m50 for portable use, but want something more "spacious" when listening at home.

So far the dt990 and the he400 seem like great options. I think open headphones will be a great addition for me.

Dec 5, 2012 at 12:18 AM Post #18 of 27
Quote:
The dt990 is an upgrade over the M50 in just about every way no a compliment.
As much as I like the DT990 you should read up about the HE400. It is going to be my next headphone although currently I am pretty happy with my HD650
biggrin.gif

Edit: A new headfier posted this and it was actually quite well done:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/639337/comparison-between-hifiman-he-400-beyerdynamic-dt-990-250-w-pics/0_20#post_8923963

The HE-400 IS pretty much an upgrade to the DT990 at this point, maybe not for those who really enjoy the Beyer's sound sig, but the sig is similar enough, and yet the HE-400s do everything better and be less offensive...I've even managed to convince Doc that it's his next upgrade, as you can see above, so...

Dec 5, 2012 at 1:34 AM Post #19 of 27
Quote:
Thanks for that link Doc-holliday, that's a very interesting read. So it appears that the HE400 is better than the dt990, which is better than the m50 (for what I need).

I also get what flatmap is saying. I don't necessarily hate the sound of the m50, I want something that preserves the qualities of the m50, but gives me a better soundstage, which is lacking there. In that sense that would be a clear update - similar bass and sense of fun, plus better separation and soundstage...I will keep the m50 for portable use, but want something more "spacious" when listening at home.

So far the dt990 and the he400 seem like great options. I think open headphones will be a great addition for me.

+1 on the HE-400. Having tried the dt 990s, I can say without a doubt that the HE-400 is the better headphone overall. The dt 990 is good in its own regard, but it doesn't have the same versatility as the HE-400, nor does it give you the mids that integrate so well into the highs. I would say the dt 990 is very one-dimensional..meaning it can excel at playing certain genres and/or songs, but once you deviate to other genres like classical, jazz, and even some rock & hip-hop, you may start to notice subtle (and sometimes blatant) abrasivness in the sonic presentation...namely piercing highs. Some may say the soundstage on the dt990 is slightly larger, but I think they are pretty much the same. It's just presented differently...the hollowness of the dt 990 mids give the illusion of a bigger soundstage (the treble helps a little as well). The HE-400 mids are pushed back a bit, but are very clear and detailed. The mids scale very nicely with the treble, giving it a holographic effect.

If you decide to go with the HE-400, send me a message and I can give you a good deal since I'm planning to sell mine soon.

Dec 5, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #20 of 27
I did some research on the HE400 and there seems to be a consensus that it's an upgrade over the dt990. Besides the improvements, would you say that it retains the "fun" from the dt990 or is it more clinical? 

It seems like I will go with either the dt990 or the HE400 (both seem to be a big improvement over my m50) and will also get an AMP/DAC. I am thinking of something like the Fiio E17. Would that be a good DAC for the HE400/dt990?

MartyMcFly, thanks for your offer, but if I decide to go with the HE400, I will probably be buying in a few months. I will check if you are still selling it then.

Dec 5, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #21 of 27
Quote:
I did some research on the HE400 and there seems to be a consensus that it's an upgrade over the dt990. Besides the improvements, would you say that it retains the "fun" from the dt990 or is it more clinical? 

It seems like I will go with either the dt990 or the HE400 (both seem to be a big improvement over my m50) and will also get an AMP/DAC. I am thinking of something like the Fiio E17. Would that be a good DAC for the HE400/dt990?

MartyMcFly, thanks for your offer, but if I decide to go with the HE400, I will probably be buying in a few months. I will check if you are still selling it then.

they are very "fun" they are pretty dark which usually means fun. LOVE to just chill with these headphones on. So amazing. 

Dec 5, 2012 at 4:42 PM Post #22 of 27
E17 is great for what it is.

Id say D2000 or 5000's if you can find them used.

Other wise V-moda M80 for smaller, HE-400 for open and for similar stuff K-550's, UE 6000's or DT 770 LE32 ohm.

Dec 6, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #23 of 27
One last question. I read a lot about the HE400 and it seems like it will be what I will go with. How is the comfort? I read a few reviews that comment that you cannot listen to them for extended periods of time (mainly because of the weight), while for example the dt990 can stay on your head for hours on end without being noticed. What are your impressions on the comfort of the HE400?

If they are also comfortable, I might have found the perfect upgrade to my m50s, perhaps something that will keep the upgrade itch away for a long time :)

Dec 6, 2012 at 6:19 PM Post #24 of 27
Quote:
One last question. I read a lot about the HE400 and it seems like it will be what I will go with. How is the comfort? I read a few reviews that comment that you cannot listen to them for extended periods of time (mainly because of the weight), while for example the dt990 can stay on your head for hours on end without being noticed. What are your impressions on the comfort of the HE400?

If they are also comfortable, I might have found the perfect upgrade to my m50s, perhaps something that will keep the upgrade itch away for a long time :)

The weight is a little more than what most are used to. Certainly less than the LCD-2s, if that's any comfort. The clamp is relatively solid, not death-trap like, but these won't fall off the head most likely. I can wear them 3-4 hours without noticing too much, and can last ~8 until it starts to get tiring. Only because I have an amazingly ripped neck, though. 
wink.gif
 Pleather pads are pretty plush, the velours offer better sound, but are a bit stiffer. 

Dec 7, 2012 at 5:10 AM Post #25 of 27
Quote:

The weight is a little more than what most are used to. Certainly less than the LCD-2s, if that's any comfort. The clamp is relatively solid, not death-trap like, but these won't fall off the head most likely. I can wear them 3-4 hours without noticing too much, and can last ~8 until it starts to get tiring. Only because I have an amazingly ripped neck, though. 
wink.gif
 Pleather pads are pretty plush, the velours offer better sound, but are a bit stiffer. 

After i did this : http://www.head-fi.org/t/635480/simple-but-successful-mod-on-he-400s

I could wear them much longer. I agree the velours offer better sound, but I feel they made them more comfy then the pleather. 

Dec 7, 2012 at 9:19 AM Post #26 of 27
Quote:
After i did this : http://www.head-fi.org/t/635480/simple-but-successful-mod-on-he-400s

I could wear them much longer. I agree the velours offer better sound, but I feel they made them more comfy then the pleather. 

That's a neat mod! They look quite comfy that way. So the weight doesn't bother you?

I am looking forward to getting these, wish I didn't have to wait a couple of months 
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 8, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #27 of 27
Quote:
That's a neat mod! They look quite comfy that way. So the weight doesn't bother you?

I am looking forward to getting these, wish I didn't have to wait a couple of months 
smily_headphones1.gif

Nope. As you can see in the pics i'm not he biggest guy, but I was a wrestler and have some muscle so its no problem for me. Truthfully though weight does not bother me much with headphones no matter the weight as long as their there good padding. ^_^ Should be no problem for you ^_^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back