Upgrade recommendations from Schiit Stack? (Magni Heresy/Modi)
Mar 5, 2023 at 11:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

user404

New Head-Fier
Hello all!

CanJam NYC was fantastic, and gave me a sneak peek into the world of higher-end gear. On that note, I’m looking at possibly upgrading my Schiit Stack (Modi 3 / Loki Mini / Magni Heresy) in the search for slightly better sound.

My budget is under $1k (used market is fine). It can absolutely be a DAC AMP combo, as I don’t use the Loki enough anyway. I run music primarily off my MacBook and iPhone (Apple Music Lossless), and listen to a variety of music.

My main rotation of headphones are:

Arya Stealth
Focal Clear
Sennheiser HD6XX

With an occasional IEM listen (Blessing 2 Dusk) but I can usually run that right off my equipment.

I’m also open to advice to tell me to stay with what I have lol. I’m still new(ish) to the hobby so I’m open to your help.

Thanks!

Mar 5, 2023 at 11:36 AM Post #2 of 4
Arya Stealth
Focal Clear
Sennheiser HD6XX
The HD6xx is a high impedance dynamic driver headphone, one is a low impedance dynamic driver headphone, and one is a low impedance/moderately sensitive planar headphone.

In theory the Arya and the Clear can sound great off of the same amp, though the Clear will get louder than the Arya. For the 6xx however, if you really want to pull the best out of them, a tube amp would be the way to go.

Do you have a preferred sound signature? For example, do you prefer a warm and musical sound or do you want to hear every single minute detail?

Mar 5, 2023 at 11:41 AM Post #3 of 4
The HD6xx is a high impedance dynamic driver headphone, one is a low impedance dynamic driver headphone, and one is a low impedance/moderately sensitive planar headphone.

In theory the Arya and the Clear can sound great off of the same amp, though the Clear will get louder than the Arya. For the 6xx however, if you really want to pull the best out of them, a tube amp would be the way to go.

Do you have a preferred sound signature? For example, do you prefer a warm and musical sound or do you want to hear every single minute detail?
I have odd taste in sound signature but I mainly prefer minute detail (Arya is my daily driver) than a warm sound. Though, I have thought about incorporating a tube amp (not necessary for my current request plus I have less experience with tube amps) at a later time to complement the 6XX.

Mar 5, 2023 at 11:50 AM Post #4 of 4
I have less experience with tube amps
We all did at one point or the other. Tubes are a deep, deep rabbit hole that many choose not to go down, but once you hear what a good tube amp with NOS tubes can sound like it's hard to turn back.

That being said, I can't really help you much as my tastes are the exact opposite of yours. I prefer warmth and musicality above all else, so I have very little experience with analytical upstream gear, but i'm sure another member will be around shortly who does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back